View Poll Results: Most Overrated/Overprice Acoustic Guitar?

Voters
164. You may not vote on this poll
  • Epiphone

2 1.22%
  • Fender

15 9.15%
  • Gibson

47 28.66%
  • Ibanez

0 0%
  • Martin

35 21.34%
  • Taylor

50 30.49%
  • Washburn

9 5.49%
  • Godin (seagull, art & lutherie, etc)

3 1.83%
  • Rogue

3 1.83%
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Most Overrated/Overpriced Acoustic Guitars?

therage! is offline Wicked Machine
    Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Roguetitan View Post
    Godin sounds better than Taylor, Martin sounds better than Taylor.... hel Yamaha sounds better than Taylor. IMO
    It all gets subjective for sure.

I think it depends too on which models. I've got a Yamaha FG730 and it doesn't hold a candle to my all Koa Taylor in any way. Interesting enough the bass on the Yamaha holds up pretty well to my Taylor 614CE but comes nowhere near it in the mids and highs, but the 730 is a dread so it's expected to sound different than the 614. The 614 is great live and records very well too whereas the 730 is just so so recorded. BUT the 730 cost $300 and it's the best $300 I ever spent. I have yet to play a better sounding low end acoustic than Yamaha. But that's me

Interesting enough I've never been that big of a Taylor fan and I do think they are overpriced. I picked up the two Taylors I own from friends at good prices. The 614ce I own is a 2000 model that didn't even have 20 hours on it and is in total mint condition for $1400. I could not walk away from that. The all Koa is was $500 or $550, don't remember now but it has real nice tone with a sweet bass to it. I would not buy a new 614 but for what I paid it's quite nice, especially recording it.
    He who seeks the truth must doubt everything

tdukex is offline Man of the Muse
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SuaveRecords View Post
    3 goodalls one santa cruz and no collings yet. maybe some day. how many presentation series Taylors have you played? what woods/ body types?
    A few--not many in recent years I'll admit.

I have lived near Buffalo Brothers since before they were Buffalo Brothers, so I have had the opportunity to play many high end brands, many models, many, many times. I have also purchased several nice guits from Buf Bros (currently a Webber OM and Larrivee L-30 Nylon).

Like I said, I've played a couple of Taylors that were as good/better as any botique guit in the room--one--over a decade ago--I believe was a cedar topped rosewood beauty orchestra model (814?--can't remember). I do remember how it made me feel, though.

For me, however, most Taylors are forgetable.

Roguetitan is offline The Poly Grip Kid
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SuaveRecords View Post
    what??? a lowest level Taylor will sound worse than a high end Yamaha... but ive never heard anything that sounds better then a top of the line Taylor. not even the high end Martins that cost twice as much. IMO. ive heard some 2k tayolrs i dont like, some $1,500 i loved more. maybe just wasnt a fan of a sertian body style/wood mixture. donno. but ive been lucky enough to play a lot of very very high end Taylor and Yamaha and such and i realy cant say anythign beat the taylor. not a huge fan of teh pick up... i think that's what your talking about with the live EQing and such, but the actually guitars them self are out of this world.
    the whole fact of the matter is a low end Taylor is still more expensive than most high end Yamaha's.

Let me recap on the title of the thread... Most Overrated/Overpriced Acoustic Guitars?
    the title of the thread is not worst sounding acoustic guitars, Ok now that we have that cleared up my point is that for the price you will pay for a Taylor you can buy a much better guitar for a lot less money. that is why in my own opinion Taylor guitars for the most part are way over priced.

ya the pickup on this particular model sucks balls has no volume or tone controls or no on board eq and unplugged is not very loud and the tone is, well... meh
    if I were to actually go out today and buy a high end acoustic guitar it would probably be a Blueridge BR-283 Prewar Series 000
    Blueridge blows Taylors away.
    [SIZE="3"][COLOR="Blue"]
    [URL="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1105850"]AXIOM (My Sons Band)[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.soundclick.com/Until This Day"]Until This Day[/URL][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SuaveRecords is offline Ninja kick the dam rabbit
    Thanks

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Roguetitan View Post
    the whole fact of the matter is a low end Taylor is still more expensive than most high end Yamaha's.

Let me recap on the title of the thread... Most Overrated/Overpriced Acoustic Guitars?
    the title of the thread is not worst sounding acoustic guitars, Ok now that we have that cleared up my point is that for the price you will pay for a Taylor you can buy a much better guitar for a lot less money. that is why in my own opinion Taylor guitars for the most part are way over priced.

ya the pickup on this particular model sucks balls has no volume or tone controls or no on board eq and unplugged is not very loud and the tone is, well... meh
    if I were to actually go out today and buy a high end acoustic guitar it would probably be a Blueridge BR-283 Prewar Series 000
    Blueridge blows Taylors away.
    i know it's about the most over priced or over rated. but we aren't just talking low end... i think the low end Taylors are ok. not amazing but ok. and ya the price is to high. but taylor makes high end stuff too :P and ya the price is high, BUT they are worth it. IMO. they sound better then anything i could ever dream up. and like Ive said, Ive seen martians at double the price with far less "wow" factor in looks ,sound, or feel.
    as far as blueridge goes, ive play two, one that was mistreated and dryed out, so im not judging anythign from that one lol, but the other one was suppose to be a high end model. im not sure if it was, but that's what i was told. ne way it sounded great and played very very well. but i still think the high end Taylors are better.

so to recap, Taylors over all, aren't over priced IMO, the low end stuff is.. most diffidently. but the high end stuff... i dont think it is. i really feel like you get what you pay for with the high end Taylors. but maybe that's just me.

MCI2424 is offline 1K Silver Member
    Thanks
    In the past year I have found 1 guitar I would actually buy. It was a Gibson and cost $1500.

Out of the hundreds of guitars I played all year long this Gibson was fantastic playing and sounding right off the wall. All the Taylors, Martins, Gibsons etc. were just plain overpriced, forgettable guitars. I see no recipe for price vs. quality anymore. It is kind'a depressing out there.
    "Tascam, Fostex or Studers don't make hit records...........people do"
    MCI2424 - 2007

stevieb is offline Just another guy, really.
    Marietta, GA- in the shadow of "The Big Chicken."
    Thanks
    GOTTA be Fender. Everybody else on the list actually makes GOOD acoustic guitars, and even if some are overpriced, at least they are good instruments. Fender makes near-junk, and they sell on the strength of the name, only. EDIT: I am talking about 99.9% of their ACOUSTICS, not their electric guitars.

But, really, Seagulls (and other LaSiDo's) don't really belong on any "overpriced" list. These are perhaps one of guitardom's BEST buys.
    Last edited by stevieb; 09-18-2010 at 21:51.

zazz is offline hmmmm
    Thanks
    glad to see yamaha isnt in the list.. they are the exact opposite!

stevieb is offline Just another guy, really.
    Marietta, GA- in the shadow of "The Big Chicken."
    Thanks
    If Estebans had been on the list, NO OTHER BRAND would get even one vote. Those things are junk, no matter HOW little they might sell for. Yuck!

Roguetitan is offline The Poly Grip Kid
    Thanks
    LMAO Esteban
    [SIZE="3"][COLOR="Blue"]
    [URL="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1105850"]AXIOM (My Sons Band)[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.soundclick.com/Until This Day"]Until This Day[/URL][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

nate_dennis is offline 1K Silver Member
    a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away
    Thanks
    So, my vote has to go to Taylor, and here is why.

Almost every Taylor I have played has been way too bright for my taste. I like a warmer, rounder tone than most Taylors can give. Now, I know they make quality instruments. I'm not ragging their construction. I'm not knowlegable about all of that. I don't have a budget that affords vintage Gibsons or high end Martins. But some of the mid range Martins I've played have had the tone I find appealing, strong construction, and look nice. I've been very impressed with some Yamaha guitars as well. I'm no expert, but this is just my own little oppinion.

So cheers.
    -Nate

Quote Originally Posted by miroslav View Post
    No...the Neve doesn't have all those high-tech, upgraded options like the Behringer....

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread Information