Thread: Mesa Recto vs. Marshall Mode-IV vs. ?

Mr. Moon is offline Force of Naked

Question Mesa Recto vs. Marshall Mode-IV vs. ?

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi.

I've been looking for a 4x12 cabinet to use for gigging, for "band" practice (with a *LOUD* drummer and bass), and for recording. As I already have a Marshall 1965B 4x10 cab, I am looking for something that will cover the low-end better and not sound as "brittle" at higher volumes as the Marshall 1960-series 4x12 cabs I've used in the past. I will be using a Marshall JCM2000 DSL 100 watt head to power the cab. I use a 7-string guitar tuned down a half-step from standard tuning (Bb-Eb-Ab-Db-Gb-Bb-Eb), as well as 6-string guitars also tuned down a half step (Eb-Ab-Db-Gb-Bb-Eb), including "drop-tuning" on all guitars from time to time (i.e.: Db-Ab-Db-Gb-Bb-Eb).

I have been looking at many brands, including Behringer, Crate, H&K, Peavey, etc., just to name a few. I've pretty much narrowed my search to either a Mesa Boogie 4x12 Recto standard, or one of the Marshall Mode-IV 280 watt cabs. Either way, I will be going with the straight-faced version, rather than slant version, to increase the low-end response.

Any opinions about either of these cabs? Reliability? Durability? Even though I know they both have Celestion V-30's in them, any differences worth noting (i.e. speaker fatigue, etc.) between the different brands of cabs?

Another thought I had was to get a less-expensive Behringer 4x12 cab, which appears to have a tad bit more internal cab volume (30.25" x 32.25" x 15") than the Mesa Recto standard (32.875" x 30.25" x 14.25"), and replace the drivers with a set of 4 Celestion V-30"s purchased from Mesa. That way, I could save a bit of money while still getting the larger sized cabinet and Mesa-ized versions of the Celestion V-30s. How much of a difference would the cheap press-board material of the Behringer cab make compared to the "solid" wood of the Mesa and Marshall cabs?

Any suggestions or any other options out there I should look into?

TIA!

-mr moon
    Intel Core 2 QUAD Q9550
    4 GB 800MHz DDR2
    RME FireFace 800
    Windows 64 Pro

Update!

OK. Here's an update, FYI.

I went into the local Guitar Satan, on a "slow" weekday, and they locked me in a "quiet" room with a Marshall DSL100 head (same model I have), a Marshall Mode-4 280 watt cab, and a Mesa Recto standard 4x12 cab. I A/B'd between the Cabs for at least 1/2 hour or so, at moderate volumes, both clean and overdriven. I found that even thought the Marshall Mode-4 had more low-end response than the standard Marshall 1960a or 1960b cabs, it still had a bit too much mid-range "bark" for my taste. The Mesa was creamy and smooth across the entire frequency range.

Needless to say, I went home with the Mesa.....

-mr moon
    Intel Core 2 QUAD Q9550
    4 GB 800MHz DDR2
    RME FireFace 800
    Windows 64 Pro

rvdsm is offline I'm a Newbie...Be Gentle!
    The Marshall 1960 TV 412 might be what you are looking for.

Originally posted by rvdsm
    The Marshall 1960 TV 412 might be what you are looking for.
    Thanks for the suggestion, but the Mesa is EXACTLY what I was looking for. This thing has "THE" sound that I was after, and sounds better the louder it gets! ...I can't wait to hear what it sounds like in a few months, once it has broken in a bit more!

-mr moon
    Intel Core 2 QUAD Q9550
    4 GB 800MHz DDR2
    RME FireFace 800
    Windows 64 Pro

rvdsm is offline I'm a Newbie...Be Gentle!
    Oh sorrry. I didn't catch the update thing.

Sonic Misfit is offline Dedicated Member
    That was a good call. I was running my old Fender Bandmaster head through a Marshall 1960B 4x12 and found that the brighter tones seemed to lack sustain. I switched to a Mesa 2x12 open back with the black Celestions and it is not only much easier to transport, but I get both the low end and lots of sustain on the brighter tones.

I think that some of it may have to do with the open back cab vs the closed back on the Marshall.

Originally posted by Sonic Misfit
    That was a good call. I was running my old Fender Bandmaster head through a Marshall 1960B 4x12 and found that the brighter tones seemed to lack sustain. I switched to a Mesa 2x12 open back with the black Celestions and it is not only much easier to transport, but I get both the low end and lots of sustain on the brighter tones.

I think that some of it may have to do with the open back cab vs the closed back on the Marshall.
    The 4x12 Recto I got really covers the highs well too, but in a nice "creamy" way. ...I never knew what people meant by a "creamy" tone, until I tried this cab out.

I dread the day I have to gig with the Mesa cab, due to its size... I'll probably first try using the 4x10 I have, and see how that works being miced and all. Actually, I'll probably take both to see which one works better, and gets the sound I want. If I have to lug around that huge @ss Mesa cab to get "the" sound, so be it!

-mr moon
    Intel Core 2 QUAD Q9550
    4 GB 800MHz DDR2
    RME FireFace 800
    Windows 64 Pro

Thread Information