Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: ID Help - Vintage Japanese 12-string electric

Sky Blue Lou is offline 1K Silver Member
    Thanks

ID Help - Vintage Japanese 12-string electric

Sign in to disable this ad
    Strange beastie this. Picked up at a yard sale some years ago by a guy that works for me. He was told it was 60's vintage. Could be. No maker mark whatsoever anywhere. I don't want to pull the pups or bridge just yet. I was hoping someone here would recognize it.

Five piece neck. Looks like five ply top. Construction is pretty good and it's pretty clean for its alleged age. Pups work. The only Hofner body 12 string copies I've found in Google images have a scroll type headstock. This headstock design looks vaguely familiar but I can't place it.

Thanks for looking and your thoughts.
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Thanks

Thanks
    As I was posting the photos my son asked me if I had searched Google images. I said, "Yeah. I typed in Japanese violin body 12 string, just like this..." Bam, there it was.

So anyway I guess the question now becomes what sort of value does something like this have? I've heard there is a bit of a market for earlier Jap stuff and I may keep the thing and don't want to cheat the guy. What would be a fair price?

muttley600 is offline Exile on Gerg Street.
    Thanks
    Could be Kawia made or Teisco or later Conrad they all came out of the same factory and were branded differently. Hard to say without a better look. I've seen a few over the years. Lots of them made it to the UK.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky Blue Lou View Post
    As I was posting the photos my son asked me if I had searched Google images. I said, "Yeah. I typed in Japanese violin body 12 string, just like this..." Bam, there it was.

So anyway I guess the question now becomes what sort of value does something like this have? I've heard there is a bit of a market for earlier Jap stuff and I may keep the thing and don't want to cheat the guy. What would be a fair price?
    They don't fetch a great deal unless some one really wants one. Your best bet is to get some famous dude in a breaking band to play one in his video of the their new single release. The price will rocket..

Thanks
    Yeah, Mutt. I followed the lead and found a thread on Harmony Central where a guy said Kawai probably marketed by Teisco. One bought the other at some point, yeah? Any value on this sort of piece? I wonder if there is a forum out there for this stuff. Hmmm....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by muttley600 View Post
    They don't fetch a great deal unless some one really wants one. Your best bet is to get some famous dude in a breaking band to play one in his video of the their new single release. The price will rocket..
    Yeah, ha ha. Great idea mate...if I only knew one of those guys. I may just clean it up, swap the pots and play the freakin' thing. I don't have a 12 string. Hell the guy paid $25 for it. He'd probably let me have it for fifty.

Thanks
    Yeah, ha ha. Great idea mate...if I only knew one of those guys. I may just clean it up, swap the pots and play the freakin' thing. I don't have a 12 string. Hell the guy paid $25 for it. He'd probably let me have it for fifty.
    It will probably gain in value but only if it becomes vogue. Play it value it and enjoy it.

Tell the guy what I often tell friends who are not sure about valuations I give. It goes like this "I'll buy it for $50 and if it ends up selling for $2000 I'll split the winnings with you."....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by muttley600 View Post
    Tell the guy what I often tell friends who are not sure about valuations I give. It goes like this "I'll buy it for $50 and if it ends up selling for $2000 I'll split the winnings with you."....
    We think too much alike. If I keep it and put some money into a clean up/refurb, setup and stuff I'll likely keep the thing forever. The guy just gave me an 1894 Illustrated History of the Civil War (US) he found in a trash bin. He's not into history but he knows I am. Beat to shit but some guy is asking $300 on ebay for the same book in not much better condition. I told him the same thing - okay I'll take it and if I ever sell it I'll keep a finder's fee and give you the rest.

Thanks
    We think too much alike. If I keep it and put some money into a clean up/refurb, setup and stuff I'll likely keep the thing forever. The guy just gave me an 1894 Illustrated History of the Civil War (US) he found in a trash bin. He's not into history but he knows I am. Beat to shit but some guy is asking $300 on ebay for the same book in not much better condition. I told him the same thing - okay I'll take it and if I ever sell it I'll keep a finder's fee and give you the rest.
    Thats about the size of it. If your honest with people generally they are honest with you and you get to keep your friends too.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information