How to get these types of feedback...

Vinnball

Around 1:00 of this video, you hear the guitarist Jamie Cook get some feedback on his guitar. The feedback has a really beautiful tone and I've been reading multiple tutorials on how to acquire feedback in general, but I haven't had any luck in getting this sound. If someone could provide me with some adivce on this, that will be much obliged.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zv1MOnK6Bjs

The next type of feedback I'm aiming to get is this type swelling feedback featured in this song by The Strokes . The sound begins to at about 10 seconds into this video. Yet again, all help will be greatly appreciated.

Also, this is my first post at Home Recording and I look forward to becoming an active member of this community.

I'm a novice guitar player, but I didn't know feedback could be controlled (other than turning down the juice). I always jack up the gain on my amp to get a dirty sound, and feedback is the only thing that annoys me about playing that way.

Unless what I assumed was feedback is actually called something else. Which is entirely possible. Somebody please set me straight if I'm mixed up here.

He turns up the gain, it starts to take off, he controls it. Just another playing technique to master. In this case it's almost certainly made easier by his guitar processor/fx. I often play in an office type chair and spinning around slowly let's you sit right on the edge. Just experimentation with your gear, so it might just be pedal 5, mute all strings bar the top E and turn the volume up.

Just stand a certain place in front of your amp and have to have the right amp settings. I don't use high gain either or loud volume it's all where I stand and what I play.

The amount of gain and the tone you havr dialed in will affect how your guitar feeds back.

You need a decent amount of midrange to get the guitar to feedback easily. You also need enough volume.

Crank up the gain and volume on your amp. mute all the strings but the note you want to feed back. Stand in front of your amp. If it doesnt start feeding back, change your position, rotate right or left, back up, lean into it, etc...

You will find a spot where that note takes off. Play around with the feedback and different notes until you know instinctively how to control it.

It takes a while to master, but that was one of my main tricks. If all else fails, get an ebow.

Dude, that's just feedback. Loud guitars do that. It's not tricky, it's not fancy, you don't need a lot of gain, it's not a special technique. If you want that beautiful organic swelling feedback, you need volume. Crank your shit.

True. You can control it, if you wish. But the band on letterman just turned up the guitar and it happened. I'm not sure it was on purpose.

But your tone affects how your guitar feeds back. If your pickups are microphonic, it will simply squeel uncontrolably.

A 100 watt Marshall amp wide open and most any decent guitar will give you just about any feedback you want.
At lower volumes you will probably need a tube screamer or at least a guitar with hot humbucker a on it.
A strat will give you plenty of 60 cycle hum but that dosen't count in my book.

My Strat feeds back but it has Gold Lace Sensors in it. Volume and gain on my amp at about 40%

Vinnball - what kind of guitar amp and pedals do you have? You probably need stuff - do you have any money?

Some old school fuzz pedals do that when they're switched on, it's all over The Doors live album. Some of my guitars will get controllable feedback at pretty low volume, it's just a matter of hooking up the right things.

Back