Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How about Most Overated Bassists?

clifchamb is offline Force of Nature

How about Most Overated Bassists?

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hmmmm this is tough one. We (bassists) never get enough credit anyway. I used to poo poo Paul McCartney until I dove deeper into Beatles Bass lines Like Day Tripper etc.

Perhaps I should change the title of this thread to most underated bassists?

Perhaps Feildy (sp?) from Korn overated? Perhaps, but I have to admit that when I hear a Korn Song he has his own signature clicky low end thing happening no matter how crappy of a tone that would be for me to use.

clif

King Elvis is offline The Lord is my Rock
    OVERRATTED: Jason Newsted
    Cliff Burton
    Michael Anthony
    Duff McKagan

UNDERRATTED: Gene Simmons
    John Entwistle
    Steve Harris
    Bill (Electric) Church
    Paul McCartney
    Phil Lynott
    Bill Wyman
    Praise the Lord!!!
    Mike

NIKKI SIXX=over rated
    Praise the Lord!!!
    Mike

clifchamb is offline Force of Nature
    yeah diffinately nicki sixx, how about Cliff Williams from AC/DC (do you finger the A or play it on the open A string? heh heh)

I am curiuos, how is Gene Simmons underated?

VOXVENDOR is offline 2.5K Gold Member
    Yeah. Gene is decent... Thats a pretty cool bass line in the verse of Detroit Rock City..
    http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb139/Voxvendor/heartagram-1.jpg
    "Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in the hospital, dying of nothing."

I consider Gene Simmons underated because his image overrode everything he did. Listen to his playing on some of their classic songs, he is not content with just thumping along in the background, he is doing all kinds of runs and stuff. He played more inversions over the guitar lines than just thumping along in the background. I think he took it to a new level, and yet he gets recognition or spitting fire and blood and stuff.
    Praise the Lord!!!
    Mike

Bass Freak is offline Free Hugs
    I know I might get some of the bass fans in here upset, but, Flea from RHCP is really really overated. I mean hes good, but not as good as people give him credit for being.

I agree with Clif about Fieldy, he does some stuff i cant even start to figure out.

Some more I think are underated:

The bassist from Mudvayne. He is seriously insane. Ever see him on stage? the only thing that moves on him is his fingers and his eyes, and hes got some of the fastest fingers ive seen.

Matt Freeman of Rancid. pick any song of thiers, the bass is just good. sure some of the more soloish licks are based off the same notes, but, its still good. "radio havana" and "ruby soho" and "journey to the end" have some of the best licks ive ever heard. hes the reason i started playing bass. sure he takes the normal "in the pocket" place playing 8th or 16th notes, but, he can also take lead...

And the bass dude from P.O.D....i dont remember his name right now, but hes good.

freak

esactun is offline Dedicated Member
    I agree with King Elvis about Michael Anthony. Thinking hard, I can think of maybe ONE improv-ish run on a VH record? (Towards the end of "In a Simple Rhyme," right after Dave goes "ow!.....whoa, yeah-eah...")

I also agree with the King about Gene Simmons. He does more than one would expect, especially considering you can figure out most of Paul and Ace's riffs on air guitar.

Other folks I think are underrated include John Paul Jones and Geezer Butler.

I was overrated every time I got off stage and had someone come up to me and say "Wow, dude, you're an AWESOME bass player!" Maybe--compared to Sid Vicious or the guy from Foreigner
    "Those who would trade their essential Liberty for a perceived temporary Security deserve neither Liberty nor Security." --Benjamin Franklin

I used to dig Billy Sheehan back in my teens when I was a metal-head, then him and that shredder guy from Racer X started a pop metal band and they entered the land of the suck all mighty!!!
    Praise the Lord!!!
    Mike

6gun is offline Dedicated Member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by King Elvis
    [B]OVERRATTED: Jason Newsted
    Cliff Burton
    Michael Anthony
    Duff McKagan

UNDERRATTED: Gene Simmons
    John Entwistle
    Steve Harris

i never heard a bass player praise michael anthony. i never heard a bass player say he wanted to play like gene simmons. entwistle is held in high esteem in my crowd.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information