hands getting old

I am a little worried about hand problems in later life.
I used to box a lot, up till about a year ago, dislocated both thumbs a couple of times and fractured a few metacarples. Never did any finger or major knuckle damage that I know of though. Always kept my hands well wrapped. They did ache like hell after some long sessions on the heavy bag though.

Just thinking about taking it up again as I miss being that fit. Worried that it may have longer term implications for the bones in my hands.

I am a little worried about hand problems in later life.
I used to box a lot, up till about a year ago, dislocated both thumbs a couple of times and fractured a few metacarples. Never did any finger or major knuckle damage that I know of though. Always kept my hands well wrapped. They did ache like hell after some long sessions on the heavy bag though.

Just thinking about taking it up again as I miss being that fit. Worried that it may have longer term implications for the bones in my hands.
must be other ways to get fit that don't involved pounding things with your hands. That's a toughie if you like boxing but I imagine it would have implications for your hands.
I've mostly quit tuning pianos because of it making my hands hurt, so sometimes those decisions have to be made one way or the other.

The wife and I belong to a boxing club for the workout. We get to bang on 100lb bags a few times a week. Been doing it for a few years now. I'll get bruises between the knuckles, but it hasn't bothered my hand at all. The arthritis I have is with the pinky finger on my fretting hand and not from the boxing.

Back