Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Guitars with smaller scale necks

sarge117 is offline Senior Member
    Sign in to disable this ad
    I have a Japanese made ESP and a Les Paul Studio.

I am thinking of adding to the stable. The ESP is of much higher quality then my Les Paul. The Les Paul is the mohagony studio model.

I'm not crazy about the Les Paul for a lot of reasons, but there is one thing about the Les Paul compared to the ESP. The scale of the neck.

The scale of the neck is much smaller on the Les Paul. Do to the fact that I do not have the biggest hands, doing a lot of things is much easier on the Les Paul.

I went to Guitar Center and tried out a bunch of Les Pauls, and it seems this reduced scale is pretty standard, or atleast on all the ones I tried.

Are there any other guitars you guys know of that come with the smaller scale necks that are of good quality?

I found a fender at GC that I loved. High quality hardware and for only 1K. But it had the large scale neck. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-A...65-i1168160.gc

I didn't see any of the Les Pauls with this quality for only 1K. I had to move up to 2K before I saw that level of quality.

Other then Les Pauls, are there any other common guitars that have the lower scale neck

I know the ESP Eclipse II does, and that is for only 500 more then the fender. Awesome quality as well. But they all come with EMG's standard. And I hate to admit it, but EMG's are just not my thing. I have an OCD I throw on the front end when I want to hit the preamp tubes harder. I can turn that off. I prefer the sound of humbuckers.

Unsprung is offline Force of Nature
    The Fender Jaquar has a 24" scale, and if you prefer the sound of humbuckers, there's the Fender Classic Player Jaguar Special HH or the Fender Jaguar HH for about 1/2 the price of the AVRI Jag. Also, the Jag HH don't have a tremolo, depending if that's important to you, or not. Off hand, I'm not thinking of any other guitars that are of the short scale persuasion, other than Gibsons and Epiphones.

Matt
    Fast cars and loud guitars!

Quote Originally Posted by Unsprung View Post
    The Fender Jaquar has a 24" scale, and if you prefer the sound of humbuckers, there's the Fender Classic Player Jaguar Special HH or the Fender Jaguar HH for about 1/2 the price of the AVRI Jag. Also, the Jag HH don't have a tremolo, depending if that's important to you, or not. Off hand, I'm not thinking of any other guitars that are of the short scale persuasion, other than Gibsons and Epiphones.

Matt
    Thanks for the reply. I'm gonna try to swing by guitar center this weekend and try one out. It looks a lot different then I am used to. But if it plays well I can probably get past that.

In fact I am not interested in a tremolo. I rarely use it.

pohaku is offline 1K Silver Member
    I believe the Fender Mustang also has a 24" short scale neck (same as Jaguar). The Lennon model Rickenbacker is also a short scale but relatively pricey.
    Yeah I'm an attorney, but everyone needs a day job.

Dani Pace is offline Why 2K?
    Ibanez makes several models with a shorter scale (thinner front to back also) very similar to the Gibson scale. I have a AR300, very similar to a double cutaway Les Paul in both feel and sound (around $1200 US) but with a thinner neck. The stock pickups (EMGs) were a little bright sounding to suit me so I popped in a set of Di Margio humbuckers. This has been my #1 choice guitar for the past year. If you can locate one give it a try, it might be exactly what you are looking for. Hamer also makes guitars with a shorter scale neck but they are a bit more expensive.
    The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know. [url]http://www.soundclick.com/sixfeetover[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by pohaku View Post
    I believe the Fender Mustang also has a 24" short scale neck (same as Jaguar). The Lennon model Rickenbacker is also a short scale but relatively pricey.
    Checked out the mustang. Didn't see any with humbuckers though

Quote Originally Posted by Dani Pace View Post
    Ibanez makes several models with a shorter scale (thinner front to back also) very similar to the Gibson scale. I have a AR300, very similar to a double cutaway Les Paul in both feel and sound (around $1200 US) but with a thinner neck. The stock pickups (EMGs) were a little bright sounding to suit me so I popped in a set of Di Margio humbuckers. This has been my #1 choice guitar for the past year. If you can locate one give it a try, it might be exactly what you are looking for. Hamer also makes guitars with a shorter scale neck but they are a bit more expensive.
    Hmmm,

That's a nice looking guitar as well!

Hamer is definately out of my proce range. I would by an ESP Eclipse and pull out the EMG's and throw in some Seymour Duncans before I go that route.

kojdogg is offline bollocks redux!
    USA-made Hamers are awesome guitars and you can find them much cheaper (say 50% +/- and often -) of their regular new street price.
    I also really like the Michael Kelly guitars. I have a USA Hamer Studio Archtop, a USA Gibson SG Standard and a USA G&L Legacy strat-- all of which I love and which set a pretty high standard (none are particularly expensive, but all have great fit, finish, action and sound), but I was really amazed at how good those Michael Kelly guitars are. Many models come stock with Tonepros bridges and Grover tuners. The Rockfield pickups are supposedly very good as well (I've owned two-- one came with the pickups already upgraded to Rio Grande P-90's, the other, which I still have, came with the older MK PAF's which are currently getting replaced by SD P-Rails).
    Even cheaper, I briefly had a cheap SX guitar that had been properly set up (fret dressing/level, etc.) and it was a great player!
    SPACE AVAILABLE FOR RENT

pohaku is offline 1K Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dani Pace View Post
    Good to know, I like short scale myself. Currently have a Byrdland, but a solid body short scale would be great to have as well. Thanks!
    Yeah I'm an attorney, but everyone needs a day job.

BrentDomann is offline Has a Dedicated Member.
    I'm not sure what you mean by "quality" differences between the ESP and the Gibson, but I assume you mean that the fit and finish of the ESP is better. I also have one of the Gibson LPVMs that you have, and it had some high frets and needed a setup when I bought it. I paid a local luthier at a good store about $75 to level, dress, and polish the frets, properly cut the nut, adjust the truss rod, put on my favorite strings and intonate, and adjust the pickup heights. The fretwork is now amazing, and I a) didn't have to buy a new guitar, and b) still have a Les Paul that says "Gibson" on the headstock.

Do not discount the value of having a good tech look at that Gibby (unless your other reasons for disliking it are major).
    Recording at home, selling/playing wherever I haven't been asked to leave.
    My newest band: http://www.onlocationmusic.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information