Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ground lift adapters

famous beagle is offline 2.5K Gold Member
    Thanks

Ground lift adapters

Sign in to disable this ad
    Ok, I know that using a ground lift adapter is very dangerous and presents a shock hazzard in the event of equipment failure (or several other scenarios).

My question is this:

If they're so dangerous, what is their purpose?
    famous beagle

lpdeluxe is offline The Precision Bass Guy
    Thanks
    To allow the use of gear equipped with 3-prong plugs into 2-prong sockets.
    "Digo: 'paciencia, y barajar.'" -- Don Quijote de la Mancha, Part II, Chapter 23

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lpdeluxe View Post
    To allow the use of gear equipped with 3-prong plugs into 2-prong sockets.
    Ok, I guess I never fully understood the whole grounded thing then. If two-prong sockets don't have a ground, they shouldn't be used (for musical equipement anyway) for safety reasons ... correct?
    famous beagle

Thanks
    Some gear doesn't need a ground. Households in the US operated for many years with only two wires, but modern practice requires a separate ground. It's where the old and the new meet that adapters are needed.
    "Digo: 'paciencia, y barajar.'" -- Don Quijote de la Mancha, Part II, Chapter 23

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lpdeluxe View Post
    Some gear doesn't need a ground. Households in the US operated for many years with only two wires, but modern practice requires a separate ground. It's where the old and the new meet that adapters are needed.
    Thanks. By the way, where in East Texas? I was born in Beaumont and grew up in Houston. Moved to Denton in 1990 for UNT and finally left the state (to Milwaukee) for good two years ago. The summers were finally too much for me!
    famous beagle

dementedchord is offline Psychotic State alumni ch
    Thanks
    some bad info here i think so perhaps this will help.... a two wire cord has a ground??? yes it does... one wire is the ground the other is hot... there has to be a ground to reference to !!! no ground?? no voltage... the third wire is a safety... it's purpose is to carry the extra voltage to ground quickly in the event of an extreme failure.... the purpose of a ground lift is to get you through the job without tracing the problem which is the correct course of action... but you'll be better able to do that when the clients gone... IMO...
    37.8% of all statistics are made up on the spot...

hey give a guy some room... people are trying to evolve here... for crying out loud...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dementedchord View Post
    some bad info here i think so perhaps this will help.... a two wire cord has a ground??? yes it does... one wire is the ground the other is hot... there has to be a ground to reference to !!! no ground?? no voltage... the third wire is a safety... it's purpose is to carry the extra voltage to ground quickly in the event of an extreme failure.... the purpose of a ground lift is to get you through the job without tracing the problem which is the correct course of action... but you'll be better able to do that when the clients gone... IMO...
    Thanks for the input demented. I think we're confusing terminology here. I was under the impression that, in a 3-prong system, the hot wire (usually the small flat prong) is called the "hot" or "live" wire, the return (the bigger flat prong) was called the "neutral," and the grounding connection (the round prong) is called "ground" or "earth."

I understand that usually current does not flow through the grounding connection (the round prong), and that it's there in case something shorts in your equipment, placing high voltages on enclosures, mics, etc. When that happens, the grounding connection steps in and provides a safe "backup" place for the current to return to ground.

But I think your last comment answered my question. Though I think you're talking about in the recording environment (I actually had gigging with an amp in mind, but since this is the HR board, your thinking makes perfect sense), the principle's the same. It's not safe, but it is a quick fix.

So ... if a venue doesn't have a 3-prong outlet (I don't know if there are any like this anymore, or maybe someone's handing you a power strip to plug into with only two-prong receptacles), are you basically just screwed out of being safe?
    famous beagle

dementedchord is offline Psychotic State alumni ch
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by famous beagle View Post
    So ... if a venue doesn't have a 3-prong outlet (I don't know if there are any like this anymore, or maybe someone's handing you a power strip to plug into with only two-prong receptacles), are you basically just screwed out of being safe?
    yep that's it....

as to the rest... i think the problem comes in as people have a tendency to expect "neutral" to some how be different... it really is your "Active" ground for lack of better term... also a minor quibble with my other post... it really is the current that drains away not the voltage... it's a strange differentiation since ya cant have current without voltage and without a sustained current source the voltage collapses... but it is the current that kills and/or does the work not the voltage.... i can killya with 12V given enough current (and applied in a particularly demented way)
    37.8% of all statistics are made up on the spot...

hey give a guy some room... people are trying to evolve here... for crying out loud...

Thanks
    Nacogdoches.

goldtopchas is offline Dedicated Member
    Thanks
    Get one of those 3 prong outlet testers with the L.E.D.'s. Ocasionally some idiot will have wires reversed in an outlet. You'll see this with bar and club owners trying to save a buck. I got the shit shocked out of me with a bad outlet one time. We checked it afterwards and the grnd. and neutral were reversed. It was the only outlet on the stage that was like this,(figures).
    "Is this thing on"??????

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information