Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: getting a killer bass tone

girvan is offline Senior Member
    Thanks

getting a killer bass tone

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi,
    Tracking bass and the sound isn't quite there. What can I do to get a nice tight and smooth sound. A tube pre? ($$ is limited "go figure" - the presonis blue thing with a tube swap maybe).

Right now my path is: Yamaha bass>rodam DI> Mackie1604VLZ > Motu2408 > Cakewalk HS2004 > Tannoy Proto-J Monitors.

The Avalon DI ($500 on eBay) looks great and must sound great too. A bit too much dough.

Thanks,
    Scott.

StudioMxpx is offline Dedicated Member
    Thanks
    i hear that sansamp bass driver is pretty good! my friends band used that in the studio and it sounds really good!!! heres their link if you wanna hear it!

http://www.myspace.com/lessthanzer0music

Creamyapples1 is offline www.murphycabs.com
    Thanks
    I use an Aguilar DB924 when Tracking bass, it adds alot of warmth to the signal. I plug into my amp, mic the amp, line out to the aguilar then DI to the board (Yamaha MG16/4) Sometimes I'll throw a mic in front of me a few inches from the neck of my bass around the 12th fret or so, just depends where and what I'm recording. In CW HS get the "classic" VST effects, a search should turn them up. I use the classic compressor with the "bass attack" or "bass guitar" setting, then tweak a little here and there, then the classic reverb vst as well, with a medium dampening, mid size "room" and about half wet/dry blend, and the classic EQ with some slight cut around the mids and some boost of the 630 area. I mix outside the box so my board EQ is some boost to the low, slight cut to the mid and slight boost to the high.

Rokket is offline SGT Floyd Pepper
    Thanks
    Second the SansAmp Bass Driver DI. They are retailing for about $199 on Musician's Friend, I think $189 on Zzounds.
    I got one several months ago, and I won't record my bass without it. Great tone, good punch, and you can really shape the sound anyway you want to.
    They have a programmable model for about $100 more that allows you to save 3 user presets to 3 different channels.
    Every kid wants to be Superman, Batman or Spiderman. I blame the parents. If parenting was better, maybe these kids wouldn't want to be orphans.

gvarko is offline The Boogie Man
    Thanks

Thumbs up SansAmp DI & Hartke Attack

The SansAmp DI is fantastic. My buddy used it live and for recording. He recently switched to the Hartke Attack pedal. He bought it, not expecting much, now he won't play without it:

http://www.samash.com/catalog/showit...ngleitemsearch

He plays a Music Man Sterling through some massive Ampeg stack...
    [url]http://stores.ebay.com/WoodGuarden-Pickguards[/url]
    Helping you sport Solid Wood . . .

dalley is offline Senior Member
    Thanks
    getting a killer bass tone usually starts with a killer bass. What model Yamaha are you using?

Stingray + GT Brick =

girvan is offline Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I checked eBay and the SansAmp Bass Driver DI is going for about $200US, I think that's do-able. Gonna check the local music stores first.

The VLX1 Hartke Bass Attack looks good too, a bit less $$. I know Hartke amps sound awesome, worked with a great player that owned one. Any more critique on that unit?

As for the bass, it's a Yamaha RBX-1000.
    Here's a photo of one I found in eBay a minute ago. Mine isn't missing the knobs.
    Thanks
    Scott.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by girvan; 11-03-2006 at 13:36.

notCardio is offline I walk the line
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Creamyapples1
    I use an Aguilar DB924 when Tracking bass, it adds alot of warmth to the signal. I plug into my amp, mic the amp, line out to the aguilar then DI to the board (Yamaha MG16/4) Sometimes I'll throw a mic in front of me a few inches from the neck of my bass around the 12th fret or so, just depends where and what I'm recording. In CW HS get the "classic" VST effects, a search should turn them up. I use the classic compressor with the "bass attack" or "bass guitar" setting, then tweak a little here and there, then the classic reverb vst as well, with a medium dampening, mid size "room" and about half wet/dry blend, and the classic EQ with some slight cut around the mids and some boost of the 630 area. I mix outside the box so my board EQ is some boost to the low, slight cut to the mid and slight boost to the high.
    Now THAT's an informative post! Excellent.
    "One thing led to another and, before we knew it, we were dead." --Michael O'Donoghue

Thanks

More details

What exactly don't you like about it? What kind of sound are you going for?

Are you sure that bass is capable of it? Not all basses are created equal, you know.

And this is also where strings play a huge role, BTW.

If you want tight and smooth, in addition to a new DI or tube pre, you might want to consider tracking with a compressor.

OK, I'm done.
    "One thing led to another and, before we knew it, we were dead." --Michael O'Donoghue

Thanks

One more thing

Have you checked the tracks on another system?

I personally think Proto-J's are kind of anemic, especially without a sub, and then I think they sound artificial. Other guys love 'em, though. Just my opinion.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information