Fun story from work today

MrWrenchey

Today we had a client that brought in four of his "professional" musician friends to record a song. The guy's a singer/songwriter, so he doesn't know jack about instruments and just wanted someone to write music to his words and he could sing for it. This band has been in a few times before and are always dicks like this, but this time it's funny, so I figured I'd share.

Well, we had the guitarist set up in one isolation room while I'm setting up mics on the drumset in another, and I hear him turn on his amp and it is NOISY. It's some cheap Marshall solidstate combo that's maybe a 1x8"?

Anyhoo, I overhear him talking smack about our studio saying we're running "dirty power" or some garbage like that. My boss comes down and asks me if I've ever gotten this much noise from an amp and I said "no." So he brings a HUGE extension cable down just to test if it's the outlet, and when it's not, he bring down a new cable, and before handing it over, he asks the guy, "hey, is this YOUR cable you're using?"

The guitarist turns to him and says, "no, I found it coiled up over there."

I take a look. It's a Monster SPEAKER cable that I bought a few days ago. Bloody moron couldn't read the print on the cable before plugging it in. Go figure if you don't have a shield, it'll be noisier. xD

I guess never trust the musicians with your cables, eh? :laughings::facepalm:

Was he the store manager?

Haha, no. Believe it or not the central Houston GC has some halfway decent people there. The other 4 stores, not so much. They opened one here in my little suburb that's literally walking distance from my house if I dare cross I-10 on foot. That one might have the dumbest people on the planet working there.

Haha, no. Believe it or not the central Houston GC has some halfway decent people there. The other 4 stores, not so much. They opened one here in my little suburb that's literally walking distance from my house if I dare cross I-10 on foot. That one might have the dumbest people on the planet working there.

:D We gotta a few GC in this area that have migrated idiots as well.

I would much rather be in Texas than NY right now with all the political corruption going on in our state government. Cuomo and Bloomberg are hands down the most insane assholes of the year. Corruption you say? Cuomo will just create a committee to look into it! Oops?! They want to look into his administration too! Better dissolve that crap pronto.

Anyhow, back to the op. I don't know how many times musicians have shown up with speaker cable instead of instrument cable but it's always good for a laugh when I say "hey use this instead" and they go "holy shit that's so much better!"

haha

"I would much rather be in Texas than NY right now with all the political corruption going on in our state government. Cuomo and Bloomberg are hands down the most insane assholes of the year. Corruption you say?"

Yeah, you can go to Texas and have a few million guys like Rick Perry, PRAYING for rain.

Or, praying for anything else.

Still want to go?

And to top it all off he possibly would have walked out the door with it after the session. :cursing:
Just the opposite seems to happen with us, at least with instrument cables- D.J. has harvested a bumper crop of 'em from guys leaving them behind, and I have a life-time supply from just two years of being gear provider to Rock n' Roll summer camps.

But pedals- THEY walk. So much so neither of us provide any. Bring your own, sucker.

Back