Favourite bass guitar songs to play

Br3n

This isn't about your hardest song to play in the bass. This is about the bass guitar parts you enjoy playing.

For me it's
lounge act - nirvana
Pardon me - incubus
Run away baby - bruno mars
The ghostbusters theme tune

So people getting listing your favourite bass parts

:)

Rage Against The Machine - Killing in the Name and Take the Power Back

Red Hot Chili Peppers - 21st Century, Animal Bar, Walkabout, Did I Let You Know, Look Around, Factory of Faith

Those are some of my go-to songs when I really want to just have fun playing.

I just like the really smooth bass lines. They may not be easy or hard to play. They just make the song.

1. Master Blaster - Stevie Wonder
2. Sing it Back - Moloko
3. Malibu - Hole
4. Cosmic Girl - Jamiriquai
5. Get Lucky - Daft Punk
6. Hip to be Square - Huey Lewis and the News
7. Miss You - Rolling Stones

The Get Lucky (5) version I like is a guy from Brazil called Kabas (look it up on YouTube). I really like his slides and additional notes for this type of song. I have broken down a lot of what he is playing much slower and then learned it backwards.

Some really nice playing in that video.

I just like the really smooth bass lines. They may not be easy or hard to play. They just make the song.

1. Master Blaster - Stevie Wonder
2. Sing it Back - Moloko
3. Malibu - Hole
4. Cosmic Girl - Jamiriquai
5. Get Lucky - Daft Punk
6. Hip to be Square - Huey Lewis and the News
7. Miss You - Rolling Stones

The Get Lucky (5) version I like is a guy from Brazil called Kabas (look it up on YouTube). I really like his slides and additional notes for this type of song. I have broken down a lot of what he is playing much slower and then learned it backwards.

Some really nice playing in that video.

I looked up the Kabas version - that is some sweet playing for sure. I definitely want to figure out some of what he's doing.

Let it Rain by Clapton has an awesome bass line....never dull.......moves right along

I learned to play bass in my younger years by duplicating everything Steve Harris played up until Powerslave. Then I found my own style. Then favorites would come to be what was written in the band I played in. Then I got bored and started playing drums. Now I play whatever feels right for a song.

Some of my favorites to play......

Sublime/Santeria
Sir Duke/Stevie Wonder
I Want You Back/Graham Parker Cover
Soul Man/Blues Brothers

The 1st couple of bass parts I learnt in 1974: Black Knight by Deep Purple and Paranoid by Black Sabbath.
Many of Bourke Shelley's lines from Budgie albums up to & including Never Turn You Back O A Friend, (Bread Fan, his version of baby Please Don't Go, Parents, etc etc) .
I wasn't any sort of Purple fan but that's what I needed to learn for the band that had been the reason I bought the bass & it ended up being fun to play.
As you may probably guess, I strated musical life with a preference for hard rock & real metal.
Oh, that band didn't end up doing BK - the lead guitarist wasn't up to it - we played pop rock instead.

I'd have to go down the Funk/soul and Jazz route:
Sir Duke - Stevie Wonder
Masterblaster - Stevie Wonder
Hit me with your rhythm stick - Ian Dury and the blockheads
Everyday - Incognito
Forget Me Nots - Patrice Rushen

When I was playing bass in bands some of the songs that I like playing bass to were:
(that I can think of off the top of my head)
The Boys Are Back In Town - Thin Lizzy
Help, Come Together - Beatles
I'm Burning For You - Blue Oyster Cult
Killing In The Name Of - Rage Against the Machine
Sober - Tool
Nutshell - Alice In Chains

I've played Bass for years and only know a handful of bass lines that I haven't written. I Want To Hold Your Hand, Day Tripper and The Pink Panther theme.

Never done the covers thing so I've never needed to learn any.

Back