Electric cello

beezelbubba

Shitty Buddhist
My latest monstrosity.One piece African Mahogany body/neck, Birdseye Maple fingerboard, home made piezo pickup(installed after pic was taken.)

Attachments

• new cello.jpg
    new cello.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 127
I don't know man. It's got that "Excess Waistline" Fender Jazz thing going on.

Seriously though, a beautiful work of art. I hope it sounds as good as it looks. :)

Hey beezelbubba that's a really nice cello there. My wife glanced over and asked what it was, when I told her a cello she said "That's awesome." My daughter played cello for a year but never took real interest, now she plays the baritone and although my wife and I miss the cello, she's much better on the horn.

With something that looks so good why not get a decent pickup and make the best of it?
I use a specially made cello pick up that sounds pretty good AND wasn't expensive at all.Can you install fine tuners before the string through or after? The difference they make to tuning is incredible.

Nicely spotted Muttley - I didn't/couldn't look closely so assumed it was a variation on friction pegs.
In that case - as you say"...no need for fine tuners."

With something that looks so good why not get a decent pickup and make the best of it?

Let me turn that question around on you. Have you ever tried one of these home made piezos?Quite effective.
I've never used a "decent" pickup, if what you're referring to is a pro piezo. I couldn't afford on at the moment, anyway, and would need to try one out before I could ever commit to buy.I'd love to see what the difference is, though.My guess would be a quality preamp.
Nicely spotted Muttley - I didn't/couldn't look closely so assumed it was a variation on friction pegs.
In that case - as you say"...no need for fine tuners."
Yeah, I'm done with the friction peg thing. I like the guitar tuners, and I also don't want a tail piece, at all. I like the string through the body thing.

A "decent preamp" is pretty easy (and cheap) to DIY also, but if you're satisfied with the sound as is, then you don't need it.

All of the "special cello pickups" of which I'm aware are designed to stick on an actual acoustic cello and get some of the body tone. Can't see that doing much good (on its own, anyway) on this solid-bodied axe.

Me, I'd want hot humbucking pairs of magnetic coils. That's a slightly more complicated DIY project, but not really too bad.

Did you make the neck and fretboard yourself? Is it neck-through or set? Any pics of the process?

Is the fingerboard flat or rounded? I only ask because I can't tell from the snap.
I assumed homemade referred to less than stellar - sorry.
My pup does take some tone from the body but it was designed for the bridge so body tone is on the minimal side.
My cello sounds really, really wild through an old Yamaha FX500 Soft Focus effect. It's a setting popular with Shoegazer guitar wannabees but makes the cello sound really spooky.

A cello has to have a "rounded" or radiused fingerboard or bridge to facilitate bowing of single notes.

This is by far the most difficult part for me.I really have no idea what I'm doing.I get it to work, but I lack the tools, technique and know how to really get it right.I'm learning, through trial and error, but I really need to do some real learning. Unfortunately, I'm dumber than shit! :D

I assumed homemade referred to less than stellar - sorry.
No offense taken. Believe me, they're far less than stellar.They're cheap, and they work.Sometime if I have some extra cash, I'd like to try something a bit more pro.As it is, if you get some nice delay and reverb on it, and EQ it right, it sounds OK.

Muttley,
yeah, I know about the need for "radiused" but didn't know the term. I couldn't see it in the image and thought I'd ask.

Here's my latest build. More of a full sized cello/upright bass.Neck.body are a fabulous piece of Makore, fingerboard is birdseye maple. Got it roughed out with strings and tuning keys. Fingerboard has a ways to go before she's playable.Really excited about this one.Thinking about maybe putting a Pbass pickup in this one.

Attachments

• newest cello.jpg
    newest cello.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 30
I'm building my own magnetic pickup for this. Building the bobbin now. There seems to be no end to my incompetent audacity! :D

Back