Thread: Direct Bass into a PA

NYMorningstar is offline Recording Modus Operandi

Direct Bass into a PA

Sign in to disable this ad
    Is there any problem with using a bass guitar direct into a mixing board? Can it damage the mixer at all?

dr.colossus is offline Force of Nature
    as long as your using a d.i. box, el cheapo passive d.i.'s should probably be under $20us, and an active one a little more... i don't know a lot about d.i.'s, so i can't tell you the diff between the passive ones and the actives, apart from the fact that the actives need phantom or battery power... maybe the actives are a little cleaner or boost the signal a little....... i don't know..... the behringer ultra-di gets some good comments (and that should be cheap)

i think a lot of mic pre's like the Art Tube MP, or the beh ultragain can be used as d.i. devices, someone was saqying they got a good result using the art or the bluetube as a bass d.i. through a p.a.

anyhow to answer your question, just whack the bass through a d.i. box before it hits the mixer and you'll be fine ......

um... i hope this helps

NYMorningstar is offline Recording Modus Operandi
    Thanks Doc. What I'm asking though is what happens if I don't use a box?

christiaan is offline 1K Silver Member
    There may be quite some feet to span from the stage to the mixer. For these distances you'd really need balanced signals or you may get a nice wash of additional noise to your bass sound.

Multi cables from the stage to the mixer are as far as I know always balanced in the first place, so you'd better feed it with a balanced signal.

I've asked this very question myself before. When I stick my bass directly in my mixer at home just to play a bit, I don't really bother about putting a DI in the chain. I just crack up the gain on the mixer a bit more. And that has worked fine for me for years.

dr.colossus is offline Force of Nature
    Originally posted by NYMorningstar
    Thanks Doc. What I'm asking though is what happens if I don't use a box?
    hehehe, i had a feeling that was the case

christiaan: i used to do that too (sttraight to mixer) but for what its worth, i always use the d.i. box the signal is louder and clearer with much less noise....

christiaan is offline 1K Silver Member
    Originally posted by dr.colossus

christiaan: i used to do that too (sttraight to mixer) but for what its worth, i always use the d.i. box the signal is louder and clearer with much less noise....
    I fully agree. Using a DI is a good thing. Until a week ago for recordings I would definately pick my DI of the shelve. It's just that when I feel like playing along with a cd or so the additional noise doesn't bother me and is not very noticable in my setup. Then I just play for fun.

Until a week ago? Yeah. Now I own a VC6Q.

Thread Information