Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dimarzio pickups VS Gibson pickups. HELP

Colwarter is offline Junior Member
    Thanks

Dimarzio pickups VS Gibson pickups. HELP

Sign in to disable this ad
    Which Dimarzio bridge humbucker compares to the bridge humbucker in a Gibson SG Standard, which is a 498T Alnico magnet humbucker? I played on a Gibson SG Standard and the tone was amazing. I want the same tone for my Gibson SG special faded so I'm gonna replace it with a Dimarzio. Thank you!

Light is offline Born in the Light ofStars
    Creating saw dust at rapidly increasing levels
    Thanks
    If you want the same tone, get the same pickup. The Dimarzio Breed Bridge and Tone Zone will be similar, as will the Seymour Duncan JB (the most popular after market pickup by far, by which I mean it probably out sells all the others - combined - 2:1).

All of this is based purely on specs, mind you. If you want it to sound like the Gibson, buy the Gibson.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
    M.K. Gandhi

ocnor is offline Lord Of The Thighs
    Thanks
    If you like the sound of the Gibson 498T then I doubt that you would be happy with any Dimarzio pickup. The Dimarzio's all seem to have a brittle and harsh quality that I find annoying but that's just personal preference. The Seymour Duncan Sh-1 59 model would be a good choice if you can't find a Gibson 498T for some reason. The Seymour Duncan SH-4 JB model is my favorite because it has the clarity of a gibson pickup but with more of a meaty tone.
    "Sorry buddy...The magic wands are still on backorder."

Farview is offline www.farviewrecording.com
    Thanks
    You should be able to order the pickup from Gibson.
    Jay Walsh
    Farview Recording and HERE!!!!

ibanezrocks is offline Unholy creation
    Thanks
    The stock pickups in a Gibson SG Standard are no comparison to the tone you'll get out of a Seymour Duncan pickup. Besides Gibson pickups are overpriced and overrated. I like Dimarzios as well, but if you want the same type of sound from that SG standard pickup just in a better sounding aftermarket pickup Seymour Duncan makes the best hotrodded-PAF style pickups. The JB as was Light's suggestion is an extremely popular pickup but IMO will be way too bright and harsh in a guitar like an SG. I have an SG standard myself (and replaced the bridge pickup quickly, neck pickup will be replaced asap) and darker pickups tend to work better with that guitar because it is thin and the bridge pickup is closer to the bridge than in most guitars.

If you really want a dimarzio and don't want a classic rock tone at all then please inform us as to what qualities you're looking for. Regarding Seymour Duncan pickups for a classic rock tone I'd suggest the alnico 2 pro neck and Custom Custom bridge for a loose smooth feeling overdrive. For more of an edge while retaining a classic hard rock sound I'd suggest the pearly gates neck and the Custom bridge. Let me know what kind of music you want to play and what kind of amp or other equipment you'll be using and I'll help you pick the best set for your needs. Also inform us of what qualities you seek from each the bridge and neck pickup, some people like a really matched set and some people like the bridge pickup to be way hotter. For more info feel free to check out the Seymour Duncan forum and run a search on pickup suggestions for SGs, there's a ton.
    Turn up the good, turn down the suck

Gibson SG Standard (SD custom custom b, Gibson 490R n)
    Ibanez NDM1 (Dimarzio Evolution b, SD Cool Rails m, Ibanez Infinity n)
    MXR Doubleshot Distortion
    Mesa Boogie Subway Rocket

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ibanezrocks
    The stock pickups in a Gibson SG Standard are no comparison to the tone you'll get out of a Seymour Duncan pickup..... please inform us as to what qualities you're looking for........ Also inform us of what qualities you seek from each the bridge and neck pickup,
    He wants the sound of the stock SG standard. He should get the pickup from that they put in a stock SG standard.

It would seem that to him, the sound of the stock SG standard pickup IS the best tone. Getting a Duncan would be a mistake because neither Duncan nor Dimarzio make the Gibson pickup that he wants the sound of.
    Jay Walsh

Thanks
    Or he's just not used to using anything better the cheap pickups in his Gibson Faded and the Standard pickups seem so much better. I'm simply trying to help him out by telling him that there are much better pickups out there than that. IMO those Gibson pickups are never the best option.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ibanezrocks
    IMO those Gibson pickups are never the best option.
    Would you put duncans in a '57 les paul gold top?

He knows what he is after. You telling him that the sound he is looking for isn't any good (without hearing it, mind you) is just arrogant bullshit.
    Jay Walsh

Bondo is offline Senior Member
    Thanks
    Along that I am also thinking of upgrading my SG Special (not faded), and had been considering a dimarzio. I have an old peavey with a Dimarzio that I love the tone of. If I am looking along those lines for something that will give me a very clear tone when using alot of overdrive, in the vein of uncle Tupelo, would that be a good way to go?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Farview
    Would you put duncans in a '57 les paul gold top?

He knows what he is after. You telling him that the sound he is looking for isn't any good (without hearing it, mind you) is just arrogant bullshit.
    If someone was making an informed decision to buy Gibson pickups and thats what they preferred then thats fine. From the overall tone of his post I'd guess he hasn't tried too many pickups and I'm trying to educate him. Even from the fact that he was thinking of Dimarzios as a comparison for the SG standard pickup you could tell that he isn't a pickup expert. It's like if someone thinks an Epiphone is the best guitar they've ever played because they've never played anything else, mind you in this case the anything else is roughly the same price and is widely accepted as better. The reference to a 57' gold top is just stupid, the pickups in a '57 can't be compared to the crap they throw in an SG standard. We're not talking about burstbuckers or vintage Gibson pickups, we're talking about replacing cheap-ass Gibson faded pickups with slightly less cheap-ass Gibson pickups. My post may have been arrogant, but thinking that we shouldn't even inform him of the fact that SG standard pickups are widely regarded as crap, even if they're slightly better than the faded pickups, is just lazy. Ordering those pickups won't be cheap, and for that kind of money its worth the time to find out what your best option is.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information