Which wah is the best

• Cry baby

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Vox

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

jimistone

long standing member
Which one is the best. I like the sound of the cry baby a slight bit better but the pot always goes out in them and costs the hell out of you to fix.(I have a dead one in my studio). The Vox hold up better but the on/off button is way too easy to click which makes it hard to really stretch out without clicking it off in the middle of a lead ride.
I guess I have to give the nod to the Vox due to the durability of the pot.

I like my Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Cry baby.
The pot gets scratchy,
Tt sucks some tone when off
But I've had it for about 20 years &
I LOVE the sound.

I like my Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Cry baby.
The pot gets scratchy,
Tt sucks some tone when off
But I've had it for about 20 years &
I LOVE the sound.

I've always loved the crybaby too rayc. I've just gone through so many...between the pots going south and the button going out they are a high maintenance piece of gear. That being said the cry baby sounds awesome when it's right. I saw SRV at "Memphis in may" not too long before he crashed and his cry baby went out in the middle of "voodoo Chile (slight return). It started making that ear splitting high pitched squeal and the button wouldn't stop it (anyone who has used a cry baby much has experienced this). He got pissed and stomped it as hard as he could stomp about 5 times then reached down and unplugged it and plugged the cord into his strat....then he threw the cry baby down on the floor with all his might and it flew in a couple of pieces. After all that he played the rest of the song as if nothing had ever happened.
I was thinking "I feel your pain man...been there done that"

I use a '60's CB I got second hand in about 1973. It's had the pot changed a couple times and I converted it to TB about 20 years ago. Most of the paint is gone, but it still works like it should. I also have a Zoom GFX-707 that has a pretty good wah, sounds more like a Morley.

On my crybaby the pot AND the button is out.
I'm probably going to fix it one of these days.
I am working on a cover of "Voodoo Chile (slight return)" that I'm going to post in the mp3-mixing-clinic
I'm gonna use the vox on that one. So, we'll see how it sounds on a song known for the signature cry baby wah sound.

I have a Cry Baby that I bought in 1997 and haven't had any problems with it. But then I use it sparingly. Back in the late 60s/early 70s I had a Fender fuzzwah that also had a wave or ocean effect on it. Things were simpler then when all you needed was a fuzz box and a wah wah peddle.

The rack gear always ends breaking on my wahs. Not sure why, but they're a pita.

Dervish - what's 'TB'?

And I also like Morleys. They each have there place. My favorite use of a wah is on REO Speedwagon's (yes, that REO - sort of) studio version of Golden Country. Probably just about my favorite guitar sound ever. Richrath was an awesome player.

I have a Cry Baby that I bought in 1997 and haven't had any problems with it. But then I use it sparingly. Back in the late 60s/early 70s I had a Fender fuzzwah that also had a wave or ocean effect on it. Things were simpler then when all you needed was a fuzz box and a wah wah peddle.

Nah, you needed an MXR Phase 90, too.

The rack gear always ends breaking on my wahs. Not sure why, but they're a pita.

Dervish - what's 'TB'?

And I also like Morleys. They each have there place. My favorite use of a wah is on REO Speedwagon's (yes, that REO - sort of) studio version of Golden Country. Probably just about my favorite guitar sound ever. Richrath was an awesome player.
TB =true bypass

i used to get a great wah sound with a regular crybaby

not so much with the vox

now i use a digitech expression factory - it has crybaby and vox plus you can add distortion

i get about as good a sound as i used to

Well, I'm going to record some guitar tracks today and get what I can out of my vox. I'm I'm not happy with the result I guess I'll break down and fix my crybaby.

I don't use my wah often, but when I do, I use a Dunlop Crybaby 535Q.

I've got a broken Vox wah sitting here, and a fully functioning Crybaby 535Q that's never given me a lick of trouble and always kicks ass.

Well, I was planning on recording the guitar to voodoo Chile slight return today and instead I spent most of my time working on damn screwed up piece of shit broken vox and cry babay wah wah pedals.
:mad:

I should have put a "none of the above" option in my poll choices.

After I gave up on the 2 pedals. I tried to play it without wah wah and did a killer guitar performance but didn't have the amp setting and tone right. I erased that and dialed in the perfect tone and then proceeded to lay down one part after another and screwed up on every one of them. I did that until my finger tips got too sore to do the deep bends that song requires and my guitar playing really started to fall apart.

I used to play 4 sets of rock and roll ...3 piece...then pass the hat and do another 5th set... my strat strung with 11's.

Now I can't handle an hour of heavy lead playing with my strat strung with 9's

Today wasn't a good day for me but there's always next time.

I don't use my wah often, but when I do, I use a Dunlop Crybaby 535Q.

I've got a broken Vox wah sitting here, and a fully functioning Crybaby 535Q that's never given me a lick of trouble and always kicks ass.

That's good to know. I've been meaning to buy a 535Q for a long time. I didn't know if it was any good or not, but the Q thing seemed like it would make it more flexible and more likely that I could find a sound I liked. Does the Q change it a lot, or just barely enough to be noticeable?

Well, I was planning on recording the guitar to voodoo Chile slight return today and instead I spent most of my time working on damn screwed up piece of shit broken vox and cry babay wah wah pedals.
:mad:

I should have put a "none of the above" option in my poll choices.

After I gave up on the 2 pedals. I tried to play it without wah wah and did a killer guitar performance but didn't have the amp setting and tone right. I erased that and dialed in the perfect tone and then proceeded to lay down one part after another and screwed up on every one of them. I did that until my finger tips got too sore to do the deep bends that song requires and my guitar playing really started to fall apart.

I used to play 4 sets of rock and roll ...3 piece...then pass the hat and do another 5th set... my strat strung with 11's.

Now I can't handle an hour of heavy lead playing with my strat strung with 9's

Today wasn't a good day for me but there's always next time.

I guess that's an advantage to that whole re-amping thing. You wouldn't have had to lose your good take. I just could never get into it if I were recording 'clean'.

That's good to know. I've been meaning to buy a 535Q for a long time. I didn't know if it was any good or not, but the Q thing seemed like it would make it more flexible and more likely that I could find a sound I liked. Does the Q change it a lot, or just barely enough to be noticeable?
There are two settings that make the difference. One sets like the home base frequency of the wah effect, the other changes how far the sweep goes. It can go from barely there to wild and freaky. It also has a boost switch which acts like a mild clean boost when the wah is engaged. It's like hitting an overdrive at the same time as the wah. I like that feature. I always keep the boost engaged so it activates with the wah. I keep the sweep and frequency settings around the middle of their range. I don't do any tasteful wah work though. Whenever I use it it's for insane effect, not for sweetening leads or anything. I'm sure an experienced wah player could make the 535Q sing beautifully. It's very solid and sturdy. Has a nice smooth foot feel with some resistance - it's not loose and flimsy.

I have one of each and I like 'em both for wah but I find them to be tone-suckers when not in use.

Currently I lust for the BudWah by Buddah.

Are there any differences in which ones will 'stay' in a position better? I'd still like to get one of the pedal-less wahs that one of them made for a while. Just a pot that lets you set it in a fixed position like having the pedal in a static spot of your choosing. I like that sound. I'd still want a regular wah of course.

---------- Update ----------

TB =true bypass

Thanks.

Back