Bridge Adjustment on Hollowbody

DM60

OK, quick check to see if I am crazy or I learned something today. I have a hollow body guitar and the bridge floats. When I changed my strings I put the bridge back to where I thought it was located. For several months it seems like as I move up the neck, the guitar starts to lose its tuning. I know some of this is to be expected, but not to the extent this was happening.

So, I started playing with the bridge location, then I would tune both E strings and checking the tuning on the open and 12th fret. Seems like, working with the bridge location (not a lot, just slightly) helped in the pitch stability on the guitar.

Not sure if this is making sense, but does anyone else play a hollow body and have the same issue or just understand about bridge placement? Seems like this tweak made a different in the sound of the guitar up the neck.

Thats exactly how it works.

What you are referring to is called intonation and you set it by small adjustments to the string length. Theoretically the strings octave is at an exact mid point of it's length. However when you factor in the increased tension from pressing down on the string as a result of higher action you need to slightly increase the string length to even it out. You do that by pushing the bridge back.

On an archtop with a floating bridge the best way is to mark the bridge footprint with a small piece of masking tape to the front of the foot. Slacken off the strings and make a slight position adjustment and retune. Test the octave at the twelfth fret and the pitch of the same being fretted. You want them the same. If you are brave like me you move the bridge with the strings still to pitch but it requires a bit of care and experience to avoid messing it up or damage to the top.

Remember when setting intonation just like tuning it is always a balance of compromise against what is physically possible.

Thanks, I didn't think I was crazy, but was wondering. Next time I change the strings I will mark it with some tape and then adjust. I adjusted with a digital tuner checking open and 12th fret. I am just a little embarrassed letting it go for so long. I just thought it was a crappy guitar (which it is), but I am sure glad I found the issue.

Back