Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best Fender Strat Amp

lark is offline Newbie
    Thanks

Question Best Fender Strat Amp

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hello,

I went looking for electric guitars today, and I found that I really liked the Fender Strats. Now, thing is I would like to know is what would be a good amp for this? I've been playing guitar intensively for about 6 months, and have been playing guitar for a little over a year. Though I've always played on my acoustic, and now I want to venture into the electrics. I went to Mars and Guitar Center today to check out guitars, but I didn't get much of a chance to really look into amps. I was wondering if someone could suggest me a good amp for the strat for around 300-400 USD, so that I could go and check it out at a store. My friend suggested I get a Marshall, and I tried it out. It sounded quite nice to me, but just wondering if there were other, possibly better choices? Thanks a lot, appreciate any help.

BrettB is offline 1K Silver Member
    Thanks
    Hotrod Deluxe

ausrock is offline Feeling Monolithic
    Thanks
    Lark,
    No-one else can answer this for you.

Get out and try as many amps as you can......then make your own decision.

bongolation is offline 1K Silver Member
    Thanks
    > Now, thing is I would like to know is what would be a good amp for this?

For what? What sound do you want?

savageblues is offline Senior Member
    Thanks
    Do you just want to record, or will you play live at clubs as well?

What sounds do you favour?

My general recommendation, if you can afford it, is towards 20-50W tube amps. I would rate older Fender combos right up there in terms of benchmark tone, but there are tons of others. They will deliver a warm clean sound, that can be pushed with pedals for grind. If you must shred, then perhaps this is not your best option.

It is going to be a matter of opinion; there are many great guitar amps available.

NOTE...Sorry I should have read your post clearer. If you can search and research used amps (this is really a good idea) for 300-400USD maybe:

Fender Hot Rod or Deville model,
    Peavey Classic 30 or Classic 50?
    Silverface Fender Champ, Princeton, Bassman or Tremolux?
    Or other small old tube amps like Gibson,

Again this states my preference towards tube amps. They really have a feel and sound that you are probably used to hearing on your favourite music as most pro's still use them.

However, let your ears decide. Take your time looking and listening, and you won't be dissapointed with your choice.

Good luck!

Lopp is offline [Insert Custom Text Here]
    Thanks
    Yeah. You've got to audition the amps yourself. If you let us know what kind of tone you're after or which guitarists' tones you like, we can do a better job of making suggestions.

If you're looking for opinions, my suggestion would be a Marshall DSL or TSL. Unfortunately, that's a bit above your price range. I personally prefer Mesa/Boogie, but I prefer those amps with guitars with humbuckers. If you like a more bluesy tone, check out Fender.

However, as mentioned, you've got to audition the amps yourself.

Matt

toyL is offline Dedicated Member
    Thanks
    for around $500 you should be able to buy a used fender twin...for a couple hundred less, you can buy a used peavey "twin"--if you decide on peavey try to find a peavey "heritage"--they have the "black widow" speakers with built-in circuit breakers...

BrettB is offline 1K Silver Member
    Thanks
    a friend of me ownbed a Peavey with the blach widow in it and personally, I totally hated it. In my opinion you're much better of with a fender amp

jimistone is offline 1K Silver Member
    Thanks
    I wouldn't go out and try to buy used tube amps.....your buying someone elses headache and you don't get a warranty. I have had fender tube amps and 100 watt marshalls in the past and every time something goes out on one its VERY expensive to fix.
    Pevey has a line of solid state amps they call "transtube". The bandit is 80 watts and costs a little over 400 bucks and the studio pro (the one i have)is 60 watts and costs a little over 300 bucks. These amps are very versatle and sound dynamite (I had a classic 50 and got rid of it when i got the studio pro...cause the pro sounded better). In my opinion if your in the market for an amp it would be hard to find a better amp in the 300 to 400 range than a studio pro or a bandit....and you get the full warranty of a new amp. Im glad to see your going with a strat, thats all i play...nothing esle comes close. It would be hard to find an amp that a strat dosen't sound good on.

howlin'dog is offline Newbie
    Thanks

Talking

MARSHALL ALL THE WAY

I have to say it comes down to your personal fav. but try the Marshall line. I play mostly accoustic and love to run one through my VS100. I get a great blusey feel with this combo.

Howlin' Dog

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information