• Ibanez

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Roland

Votes: 44 15.2%
  • Other

Votes: 50 17.3%

• Total voters

Mr. C

It seems to me that the amp polls and discussions always come to a stand-off between those who love tube amps vs. those who love solid state. So as one who owns a solid state I'm wondering what people's opinions are about the many different solid states out there. Myself, I own a Peavey Bandit 112 and like it. I had trouble getting the sound I wanted, even used (and use pedals) but have finally come around to a sound I really like. Anyways, here's the poll, comment away!

I heard an Ampeg 2x12 combo a long time ago at a pawn shop that sounded pretty good. Also, the LAB 5 (or is it 6?) is a well-known-somewhat-sought-after ss amp.

I'm a Solid State guy myself.

I have an old Marshall MOSFET Lead 100 Mini Stack that to me, sounds great!
Rip your head off loud also.
The only problem that I have with it's overall sound is that it is a little light on the Bass side.
Nothing that a little volume won't fix.
Cleans up VERY nicely with the volume knob on my Axe.
;o)

My real gigging and recording Amp is a Roland Cube 60.
When gigging I usually sit it on top of one of the Mini (4X10") Marshall cabs and plug into the speaker out.
It works great for me.

HapTap

ummm . I'm a tube guy but there have been two SS amps that I thought had a really good almost tubelike sound. One is Traynor .... can't remember the model and it's so long ago probably couldn't find one.
The other was a Dean Markley ....... really nice sounding amp.

Reactions: apl
What?

No Tech 21? I think the Trademark 60's and 30's sound great. Heard a lot of good things about the Trademark 10 as well.

I voted for Peavey.....cause I'm selling my Stereo Chorus 130. Not a bad amp actually, I just don't need anything that loud or heavy.

hiwatt357 said:
No Tech 21? I think the Trademark 60's and 30's sound great. Heard a lot of good things about the Trademark 10 as well.
I'm gonna second this. I was using a Trademark 60 for a while and then traded it in on a Trademark 120. I'm now selling the 120 because I just got an Orange AD30TC, but the Trademarks are still great amps!

My Fender Champ sounds really nice to me when played at moderate volume levels. They attempted to give the clean channel some grain when you attack hard, but it doesn't sound natural like a tube amp. I know a lot of people aren't fond of Fender's distortion, but I think it sounds pretty nice (not in a literal sense, it has quite a bit of bite) if you play with the gain around halfway. I've never played anything else except when I was auditioning amps at the store a while back. Played the Ibanez (worst sound I've ever heard), a Marshall (couldn't get it to sound good with my guitar), a Peavey (not the type of sound I wanted at the time) and a Line 6 (tone was too perfect, which is what I was not looking for). Sure, my Champ doesn't do heavy metal very well (although you can get a somewhat heavy sound out of it), but that's not why I bought it.

Lt. Bob said:
ummm . I'm a tube guy but there have been two SS amps that I thought had a really good almost tubelike sound. One is Traynor .... can't remember the model and it's so long ago probably couldn't find one.
The other was a Dean Markley ....... really nice sounding amp.
Traynor makes some awesome and underrated stuff. Their tube amps were nice as well. I believe Risson made a decent SS amp.

This thread makes me want to buy a JC-120 so bad. I started speccing them on eBay. :(

Must... resist...

-=¤willhaven¤=- said:
Traynor makes some awesome and underrated stuff. Their tube amps were nice as well.
Agreed. Traynor carries the only solid state amp I've ever played that I liked. I used to have a Line 6 Flextone that wasn't too awful. Anything in the Spyder line, however, is pure mush IMO.

Back