Bass 'crackling'..

Tifstorey

Guinea Pig
Hi guys,

Basically i was recording my bass the other day and i noticed it was crackling at small intervals. i tried a different cable but the same happened, it seems to crackle when i move the jack cable so my thoughts is that its the connection. i went to a music shop today and they suggested its probably dirty so they sold me some alcohol.. fluid stuff to put in it. Basically just wondering if this is the cause, if it is, how do i put the fluid in the connection? Just unscrew it and spray it all over?

Any help would be much appreciated,

Thanks,

Put some on the connector on the cable, run it in and out of the jack a few times. Gets the stuff right where it needs to be, loosens it and rubs it off.

It may also be the jack itself.

you might want to take the jack out and see if the wires look like they should. if one is loose or if they are touching sometimes, you can resoldier them. the easiest solution though, might be that the clip thing on the jack has loosened. bend it towards the center so that it makes a better connection with the cable.

FALKEN said:
you might want to take the jack out and see if the wires look like they should. if one is loose or if they are touching sometimes, you can resoldier them. the easiest solution though, might be that the clip thing on the jack has loosened. bend it towards the center so that it makes a better connection with the cable.

Another thing you can do is run the cable in from the back over the rear strap button before plugging it in. That will keep the cable from moving around in the jack as you move around.

Back