Amp Problem

JDOD

therecordingrebels.com
All,

I have a problem with my amp; a Peavey Bandit 112 - about 14 - 15 years old (wow, have I got that old?). Normally completrly reliable. It's been rarely played for the last few years and has spend long periods in storage - over a year under my mate's stairs, six months in a garage etc. I have just retreieved it from my parents garage as I am moving into my new place in 2 weeks and it sounds like shit.

Clean channel seems OK, although there is clearly a lot of dust in the knobs. Distortion channel has a weird buzz on it, a bit like a clip and a bit like if someone has left a snare drum in the room that is resonating.

In the below clip I am using a Boss DS-1, a Marshall Jackhammer and then the amp distortion channel. The problem noise is only on the amp distortion. Have a listen:

https://soundcloud.com/brother-number-one/amp-test

1. Anyone got any idea what could be causing it?
2. Anyone got any idea how to get rid of it?
3. Anyone got an general tips for servicing a damp dusty amp?

This is all recorded with a shit Stagg Mic, don't hold that against me!!!

How good are you at following schematics and testing transistors? Honestly sounds like a tweaked transistor in the pre-tube stage. Could also be a fried resistor, either would allow too much voltage into that circuit. And also, could be a tube gone south. Too many variables in the circuitry to make a good guess from me, but does not sound like a bad tube. Some time with a schematic and DMM might be in order.
BTW, love that Jackhammer grind. :)

Pretty sure it's nothing to do with tubes as it's a solid state amp!

Jackhammer is really heavy. That's just on the Overdrive setting instead of the distortion setting. Really heavy pedal. I have DOD Grunge somewhere too, that's really heavy.

First stage of cleaning up get some contact cleaner. Avoid touching circuits that are attached to those big caps...they can make you worm food.

This video is on cleaning pots...

That narrows the field at least. Check through the resistors and make sure the ohms reading is the same as the bands...

Not to worry, the actual tubes in the Yamahas are more of a joke than transtubes...the guitar amps sounded awful. My brother had the G100 with a 4x12 cab for a while and preferred the distortion in my B100 through the 1x18/4x10 stack I had at the time... :laughings:
Just as a by; my brother now plays through a Marshal JVM with a single 12 (215 model I think) and a vintage 65 twin reverb (not a reissue). Both sound absolutely fabulous....wish I could afford either. :D

Yeah, mic in front of the amp about an inch or two outside the cap. The forth clip out of that lot is the preamp out straight into the AI. Sounds awful.

Clean channel is fine and the distortion pedals through the clean channel are fine.

Set it in the middle of a large concrete area, like a parking lot. Douse it heavily with lighter fluid. Light a match....

(kidding, but you are about to get a new amp, right?)

Planning on. Getting a new amp, just wasn't planning on doing it right after I move in!!!

I spend yesterday evening playing through my Peavey micro bass! Sounded ok actually. Now that's a particularly tough little amp.

Back