Acoustic electric live

- I thought a DI is just a simple signal booster, so how would that improve the sound over using the pre-amps in the PA mixer?

DI's usually lower the signal somewhat (depending on the specific device). The main jobs of a DI are to lower the impedance and balance the output signal (for driving long lines), and to present a high impedance load the the source.

- Would it be useful to put a reverb and/or compression pedal between guitar and PA, or does it still sound thin?

Active pedals can present a higher impedance loads to the source, but they don't do the impedance/balancing thing. They could work in a pinch, but normally I would just use pedals for their intended purposes.

Hey all,

I'm struggling with the same question as the first poster. I had a piezo built into my steelstring. The term 'piezo quack' made me chuckle, that's exactly the problem :) I wouldn't want to bring an acoustic amp to each gig, I prefer to travel light, so what would be an affordable alternative?

I could use some clarification with regard to the answers so far. With the risk of sounding like a complete noob:

- I thought a DI is just a simple signal booster, so how would that improve the sound over using the pre-amps in the PA mixer?
- Would it be useful to put a reverb and/or compression pedal between guitar and PA, or does it still sound thin?
- Are there any dedicated acoustic pre-amps for this purpose in the <$100 range that you could recommend?

Thanks guys!

(P.S. this is my first post in years, good to be back!)
To fill in to Boulder's there, a few things re; the p/u's in general and 'piezo quack.. now the friken universally accepted industry term LOL..

Beside their nature and rather hard sound from where they're typically picking up from- just a contact under the saddle really..
I was told FWIW by Fishman I believe it was.. that most of these transducers, with the 9volt battery power can flat out clip' under harder picking. They had some plastic composite(?) or such alternative I think (sorry I didn't pursue it) and/or an 18 volt supply would improve headroom.

Second, in my travels I've come to notice -actually from a Fishman amp that got me interested in them in the first place used to have.. (Fishman..? :rolleyes: )... what they called a 'brilliance control.
Basically, a 10kHz bell' that sets in the middle of the range of the high shelf control.
A cut fairly hard there.. Lo and behold, there went a whole bunch of that hyped brittle 'it's a piezo screaming shit.. that real acoustic guitars flat out do not have..

add.. At this point I wish for a pre that includes a variable low pass filter. What 'db/octave, or freq..? Don't know, just give me the options please :)

Last edited:
Well received the Washburn yesterday which is surprising as it came out of Buffalo area where they have almost 6 feet of snow and the Thruway was closed from Rochester to PA state line. So guess I have to give someone credit for great shipping!!

On the other hand GC might want to look into hiring better help. Anyone with a good set of eyes, or bad for that matter could tell that this isn't the acoustic electric version. It is a beautiful guitar with a excellent tone. There is some slight buckle rash on the back and the line that runs down the center of the back looks jagged like it has rubbed off or wasn't done correctly. Warren Haynes autographed it on the back of the headstock. But my quandry now is what to do. Do I spend money to change it to acoustic electric (maybe get GC to eat the labor for doing it since they screwed up) or just buy the same model but acoustic electric new. I'm really tempted at ordering it from Sweetwater...free shipping, free 2 year warranty (which GC sells you for $150 or so), and free tech support. Well I know only I can make the decision but just thinking out loud here. I like seeing what others have to say on here.

Well received the Washburn yesterday which is surprising as it came out of Buffalo area where they have almost 6 feet of snow and the Thruway was closed from Rochester to PA state line. So guess I have to give someone credit for great shipping!!

On the other hand GC might want to look into hiring better help. Anyone with a good set of eyes, or bad for that matter could tell that this isn't the acoustic electric version. It is a beautiful guitar with a excellent tone. There is some slight buckle rash on the back and the line that runs down the center of the back looks jagged like it has rubbed off or wasn't done correctly. Warren Haynes autographed it on the back of the headstock. But my quandry now is what to do. Do I spend money to change it to acoustic electric (maybe get GC to eat the labor for doing it since they screwed up) or just buy the same model but acoustic electric new. I'm really tempted at ordering it from Sweetwater...free shipping, free 2 year warranty (which GC sells you for $150 or so), and free tech support. Well I know only I can make the decision but just thinking out loud here. I like seeing what others have to say on here.

going back a few days here..
One thing that bothers me right now is after I came home and went back online to take a look at it I don't think it's the acoustic electric version as they listed it. So I'll have to see, then I'll have two options: return it, or if I like it then have the Matrix Infinity installed as Muttley suggested.
So I guess they had described it as being elect/acoustic, but that didn't match what it was really?
Gads. That's frustrating -getting half way there.
I haven't bought all that many guitars, but you keep seeing -reading, even within the same model sometimes -let alone various makes, 'got to set down and try them out.
I guess there's the 'add on the electronics part maybe if you happen to really like it.. ?

Yep, trying them out in person is the best way, but again when buying used you're limited to whatever the store happens to have. I'm not going to make a decision right away on whether to have them put electronics in or just return it. I'm going to play it over the weekend and then make a decision.

Hey all,

I'm struggling with the same question as the first poster. I had a piezo built into my steelstring. The term 'piezo quack' made me chuckle, that's exactly the problem :) I wouldn't want to bring an acoustic amp to each gig, I prefer to travel light, so what would be an affordable alternative?

I could use some clarification with regard to the answers so far. With the risk of sounding like a complete noob:

- Are there any dedicated acoustic pre-amps for this purpose in the <$100 range that you could recommend?

Thanks guys!

(P.S. this is my first post in years, good to be back!)

I have not tried one myself, but some people have said that for the money ($30), the behringer AD121 works pretty well for taming the quack.
I bought a Radial Tonebone PZ-Pre because I wanted the other features on it - even with a 15% discount, it's still 9X as expensive, but solid metal construction, not plastic. The sweepable mid EQ is great for dialing out quack and a low cut is good for geting rid of the low body feedback that you can get form acoustics playing in a loud environment.

I have not tried one myself, but some people have said that for the money ($30), the behringer AD121 works pretty well for taming the quack.
I bought a Radial Tonebone PZ-Pre because I wanted the other features on it - even with a 15% discount, it's still 9X as expensive, but solid metal construction, not plastic. The sweepable mid EQ is great for dialing out quack and a low cut is good for geting rid of the low body feedback that you can get form acoustics playing in a loud environment.

Do you use a fuzzbuster?

Back