1964 Guild Starfire Hollowbody Base

Dadmanthos

This has been my baby for many many years. Even though it has not seen much action in the last 10 years I still love it. My question is to refinish and re-pickup or not. Everything still works but the backside has seen too many beltbuckles for it's own good and the volume control is scratchy. The wood is still perfect but the finish is hosed. Am I better off to leave it be as a classec or take a chance with a makeover ?
Thanks alot
Any input is welcome

Last edited:
Are you planning on keeping it or getting rid of it?

If I were in the market for a used guitar similar to your Guild, I would prefer it be in its original, but worn cosmetic condition. Nothing wrong with being tore up. I can relate. :)

As far as the scratchy volume pot, that would be a negative. Changing out the volume pot doesn't require new pickups and can be down by you for under $10 if you have a soldering iron.

Dadmanthos said:
I would never get rid of the Guild. I an just on the fence about the refinishing decreasing value.

The value isn't decreasing if you're never going to get rid of it.

If you want to re-finish it, go for it. Personally, I don't see the point but it ain't my guitar.

I know several luthiers/repairmen of guitars and their opinion is that the finish should stay original, even if finish is cracked or whatever. A scratchy sounding pot can often be restored with some blue shower or similar type spray cleaner, but accessing a volume pot through the f-hole of an arch top instrument can be a hassle. If you are taking it loose to clean the pot I suppose it may as well be replaced, only 3 wires to deal with anyway.

Back