Votes: 13 18.3%
  • I use amp sims just for fun or messing around, but not for anything serious

Votes: 14 19.7%
  • I use V-amp/Pocket POD kinda things

Votes: 5 7.0%

• Total voters
nah ..... not in a mix if done right.

Agreed.

I feel it depends on who is using the amp sims? I think in the hands of someone who has never mic'd an amp before it can be quite noticeable. But if the amp sim is in the hands of someone who has mic'd an amp or two in their day, they know what qualities to capture with the amp sim. It is like any tool i would suppose.

Sims are great - I use em more and more - actually haven't turned on a real amp in months (and I have 5 including tube amps).

Agreed.

I feel it depends on who is using the amp sims? I think in the hands of someone who has never mic'd an amp before it can be quite noticeable. But if the amp sim is in the hands of someone who has mic'd an amp or two in their day, they know what qualities to capture with the amp sim. It is like any tool i would suppose.

^^^^^ this ^^^^

As I commented in the tone thread ( all tone seekers should go read all 250 pages!) ..... I hear a lot of guys that have never had a good amp. How are they gonna tweak a modeler until it sounds like something they've never had?
They can't.

And I do hear guys that haven't mastered the art of getting a good sound out of an amp so once again, how are those guys gonna get a good amp sound out of a modeler? They won't.

You have to know what it should sound like before you can achieve it.

True!

I use a orange rocker verb 50, and fender twin sim…coincidently those are the two amps I have (also a dr z maz-18 but there's no sim for that). You have to know the sound you want before you try to dial something in. That's why I only sim amps I have, I know the sound.

True!

I use a orange rocker verb 50, and fender twin sim…coincidently those are the two amps I have (also a dr z maz-18 but there's no sim for that). You have to know the sound you want before you try to dial something in. That's why I only sim amps I have, I know the sound.

That Dr Z Maz 18 is a killer little amp.

That Dr Z Maz 18 is a killer little amp.

Yeah that amp is awesome. It goes from chimey vox to old Marshall to blackface all really well. It's my favorite I've ever used. Not much clean headroom though…that's what the twin is for.

Yeah that amp is awesome. It goes from chimey vox to old Marshall to blackface all really well. It's my favorite I've ever used. Not much clean headroom though…that's what the twin is for.

Yeah the ones I played didn't do clean well, but I'm not a clean kind of guy. I was really impressed with that amp until I saw the price tag. Yikes.

Yeah the ones I played didn't do clean well, but I'm not a clean kind of guy. I was really impressed with that amp until I saw the price tag. Yikes.

I got mine in 2003 I think when they were pretty new and a lot less expensive. All this boutique stuff is getting ridiculous. Pedals are the worst! $1500 for a klon, $250 for tube screamer clones, $500 for delays…this market is out of control.

I got mine in 2003 I think when they were pretty new and a lot less expensive. All this boutique stuff is getting ridiculous. Pedals are the worst! $1500 for a klon, $250 for tube screamer clones, $500 for delays…this market is out of control.

I have a semi funny story about my first run-in with the Maz-18. I was at a place here in Houston called Evans Music City. I was amp shopping. The salesman, an old burnout hippie type, took me to the Maz-18 and gave me the whole sales pitch. He concluded with "Joe Walsh plays one of these". I said "Who the fuck is Joe Walsh and why should I care?" He looked at me kind of cockeyed and said he was the guy from The Eagles. I knew this already but just wanted to fuck with his head. I then told him that I hate The Eagles and will not be buying that amp just because he told me that Joe Walsh uses one. The guy walked away and I haven't been back.

i collect amp sims/modellers for some reason

I got a Pod, Spider amp, valvetronix amp, v amp pro, zoom G3...Ive got one little practice amp too...I have most of the software sims, not all the latest versions...but a year or so out if not...Ive even got my iPad and phone set up with amplitube and fender

dunno why, I normally use the same things for the tiny parts of guitar I do record....a tube amp, or any amp of quality would proly be wasted on me

I like the sound of them, I like technology...I have analogue synths that I use software editors on lol, kinda misses the point of having all those knobs and buttons but whatever...if it sounds good to your ears then fine

if a purists were to say to me that the guitar track in my tune wasnt recorded through a real amp theyd kinda be missing the point of my tunes..

OK Ill shut up now...amp sims are cool, anyone that says theyre not likes the companionship of sexually aroused donkeys :)

if a purists were to say to me that the guitar track in my tune wasnt recorded through a real amp theyd kinda be missing the point of my tunes..

I guess that what it comes down to. It's easy to get caught up in this stuff. My only goal is that the songs don't sound like ass and hold up ok in a mix of similar commercial music that I like. I like my amp cause I have a very specific sound I like and just stick a mic in front of it and I'm done. I do think that for loud rocking stuff there is a symbiotic relationship between the speaker and the guitar strings that affects the performance in a way that is almost impossible to replicate with a modeler. I said that before on another thread and got flamed for using big words - but hey it's just my personal experience - and in the end - who cares if it's an amp or a sim. I'm never really on a quest for new and different guitar tones, and honestly when I do go there I just ask a friend to play whatever the hell they want on the track :-)

You have to know what it should sound like before you can achieve it.

That was my problem with even distortion pedals in my younger days. I had no idea what a tube amp was supposed to sound like. But i was adamant that my Peavy Rage with a tube screamer pedal was the definitive rock guitar sound! HaHa! Yikes.

I use an RP150 which is an older Digitech amp sim pedal. Amp sims are great when you are recording at night and the family is sleeping. I might be the example ShanPeyton is referring to when he said "if they never mic'd a real amp how are they going to dial in a sim". I have gotten one or two "fizzy" comments on my distorted guitar tracks before. :o But once you learn to treat a sim just like an amp, it becomes much easier to use and less noticeably different from an amp. A sim is just another tool in the toolkit.

What's funny is I get more compliments on my bass tone than my guitar tones and all I do is direct in with a cheap-o bass.

Everything gets better in time Chili. I myself am a classic example of what i said too. I used to just plug my guitar into my distortion pedals and line it into my computers input or into a 4 track. I thought it sounded awesome. But after you hear that your guitars are, "fizzy" (which, was NOT the term used to describe my guitars back in the day) a few times you start to rethink.

When i actually got in a studio environment i started to hear things a lot differently.

Tools are tools learning is awesome.

I have a semi funny story about my first run-in with the Maz-18. I was at a place here in Houston called Evans Music City. I was amp shopping. The salesman, an old burnout hippie type, took me to the Maz-18 and gave me the whole sales pitch. He concluded with "Joe Walsh plays one of these". I said "Who the fuck is Joe Walsh and why should I care?" He looked at me kind of cockeyed and said he was the guy from The Eagles. I knew this already but just wanted to fuck with his head. I then told him that I hate The Eagles and will not be buying that amp just because he told me that Joe Walsh uses one. The guy walked away and I haven't been back.

I'm still confused…who the fuck are the Eagles?

In high school we had a"metal" band. One guy had a plexi with no master, another had a fender solid state m80 head. I preferred the m80 with my metalizer…

You live you learn, and you learn to hear better.

In high school we had a"metal" band. One guy had a plexi with no master, another had a fender solid state m80 head. I preferred the m80 with my metalizer…

You live you learn, and you learn to hear better.

Damn, how could you even hear the M80 next to a Plexi? I had an M80 once a long time ago. It was a fun little amp, but I couldn't gig with it.

I was in a band a few years back that had two guitarists - one used a JCM 800 2205 and the other had a 120w Randall SS halfstack thing. It wasn't even close. The 50w JCM 800 with the master vol on 3 completely blew the dimed Randall out of the water. Needless to say, our collective sound wasn't very good. :laughings:

Back