Wireless systems

Chili

Site Moderator
Is anybody using any of the new tech wireless systems? I see Line 6 has some new stuff. And I found some bluetooth devices on Amazon with mixed reviews.

I'm building a new bass and I thought it would be cool not to have a cable jack. I want to build a wireless system right into the guitar.

Thoughts???

Don't! Your bass will last a very long time. Wireless systems have a technology lifespan of maybe a couple of years. Imagine you got it built in, then the Government announce that wireless mics in channel 70 need to shift to channel 22 - your wireless investment is scrap. If you choose a wi-fi solution, what happens when your playing venues are so full of other wi-fi devices your's doesn't function. Analogue or digital? So many choices you have to make that could be fine for 6 months? I have half a dozen Line 6 of one model, and a different model of bass wireless. All are now old models, and the new versions nearly compatible. I don't use the bass system now because the battery flap broke - again, and have gone back to my Sennheiser. Building in anything to a guitar that is based on technology spoils the guitar for the future. Those guitarists building in touch pads to their guitars have a dead product in them in a few years time, severely messing up it's value. My midi capable guitar rarely gets used now because the synth it used is now temperamental and unreliable.

Don't do it!

There's a saying in the audio business...you can spend $3000 on a wireless system that will be almost...but not quite...as good as a $20 cable.

Seriously, think long and hard about the idea of building a wireless transmitter into your bass. You'll have to leave access to the TX pack to change batteries...frequently. You'll also have to thing about how the antenna will be oriented and make sure it's not tucked behind any metal bits. Be aware of frequencies...most of the Line6 you mention works on Wifi frequencies which should be safe but analogue frequencies legal to use are changing in the USA--you have to cram yourself in amongst TV broadcast frequencies.

In short, you're probably better off not limiting yourself to wireless--but if you do, research things carefully.

Don't build it into the guitar. The transmitter you get now will be a different size than the next one, so the cavity shape won't be right.

Also, there is a reason why people wear the packs on thier back. Having a transmitter buried inside a guitar and up against your body might disrupt the signal enough to cause problems. I have problems with the high end Shure wireless handhelds when people with meaty hands hold the mic down at the end (where the antenna is) with both hands.

You won't know if it's a problem until you hollow out the guitar.

If you do build it in, get a good one. The digital shure's seem to be preferred now, because they don't compress and expand the audio.

Okay. Some good thoughts. Enough to give me pause on the idea. Cool.:thumbs up:

I'm not so worried about the cavity. If I were to do it, I would remove the electronics from the case and work it into the guitar. I see where some units have antennas built into the case; for those it seems pretty simple. For the units with small antennas, I could figure a way to route outside the guitar, but still invisible. I would build it in such a way that I could remove it and replace it with another unit. I would take my time, experiment and figure out what would work the best.

However... The channel changing thing and the crowded wi-fi is a problem. I didn't know wireless systems could be so particular. I remember reading that the US moved the channels around, but I thought that was old history and not really relevant anymore.

Anyone have any experience with the new bluetooth units?

Thanks for your thoughts so far....

Just imagine no cables.... Just like Flea!!

Attachments

• superbowl_2014_redhotchillipeppers_650_6.jpg
    superbowl_2014_redhotchillipeppers_650_6.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 21
Flea has a pack on his strap, doesn't he?

Anyway, I don't know how far from home you tend to play, but rolling into a different city can cause problems if you can't change channel. For example, most of Shure's G3 frequencies are useless here in Vegas. All the wireless channels overlap TV transmissions, but in Vegas, the G3 frequencies are nearly all used by TV channels. So depending on how close you are to Black Mountain, where the transmitters are, you could be screwed.

You also have the problem of opening for a national act that is on the same frequency you are, and they won't turn anything off, once tested.

If you are playing in a club next to another club and one of those guys is on the same frequency, you're screwed...

With a normal output jack on the bass and a belt pack, if all else fails, you can simply use a cable to plug the bass in. Without it, if the wireless isn't usable for any reason, neither is the bass.

Flea has a pack on his strap, doesn't he?

I might not have gotten the right pic. During their superbowl show, he wasn't plugged in... just playing air guitar. :D

So wireless systems in general are pretty vulnerable, i guess. I'm betting bluetooth is the future, dedicated connections and not prone to interference. But right now, there are only a few unrecognized names putting products out. I don't trust them yet.

eh, maybe I'll just stick to a cable until my next bass build.

Hey, what do you think of putting the cable jack on the back of the bass? Keep it out of sight?

Back in the early 90's my bass wireless unit never failed for 5 years in any venue in 5 states. But regulations have changed so I cannot give a educated answer of how reliable devices are today.

I am curious why you would want to be 'UN-wired'. Though back in the day there was a bit of compression that seemed to happen with the wireless unit (from memory I think it was a $1200 Samson unit I used) that I found nice for my bass tone. Not as beneficial for guitar players but they used them as well for freedom on larger stages.

Back in the 90's, it was a different batch of frequencies. There also wasn't as many transmitters all trying for the same space.

I am curious why you would want to be 'UN-wired'.

Declutter the instrument. If I don't do a built-in wireless, I can put all the knobs in a stomp box. I can use a TRS cable and jacks to run the pickup wires down to a stomp box and have all controls there. Or maybe a box that clamps to the mic stand. I don't know... I have different ideas floating around in my head.

End result is cleaner lines on the bass.

Declutter the instrument. If I don't do a built-in wireless, I can put all the knobs in a stomp box. I can use a TRS cable and jacks to run the pickup wires down to a stomp box and have all controls there. Or maybe a box that clamps to the mic stand. I don't know... I have different ideas floating around in my head.

You so crazy man! :)

Cleaner lines on the bass, but you are tethered to the stomp box. That kind of defeats the purpose of wireless

Cleaner lines on the bass, but you are tethered to the stomp box. That kind of defeats the purpose of wireless

Yeah, just the same as you are tethered to an amp. If I were to go with the wireless option, then I'll have to keep the knobs on the bass. If I go with the cable option, then I might put the cable jack on the back of the guitar and use a 90° plug and move the knobs off the guitar.

Just looking to do something different.
yeah man :thumbs up:

Yeah, just the same as you are tethered to an amp. If I were to go with the wireless option, then I'll have to keep the knobs on the bass. If I go with the cable option, then I might put the cable jack on the back of the guitar and use a 90° plug and move the knobs off the guitar.

Just looking to do something different.
yeah man :thumbs up:

Just do a strat jackplate on the back and use a straight plug.

Back