what's best PRS lookalike for a lefty gutiarist

tigerotool

A lot of my favorite bands play Paul Reed Smith guitars. Paul Reed Smith has been quoted as saying something along the lines of "They don't make left handed pianos, so I'm not going to make left handed guitars." That comment by itself is just about unforgivable to me. I'm naturally right handed and I've been playing left handed guitar religously for 3-4 years and I'm not switching to righty guitar.

Anyway, there are lots of PRS lookalike guitars out there for lefties but I don't know which one to get. There's lookalikes made by Carvin, Schecter, Agile, Tokai, and Dillion. After I buy the guitar I'm probably going to replace the pickups with active EMG's anyway. For Agile, Tokai, and Dillion I'm also probably going to update the bridge and tuners (except for the grovers that come standard on Agiles). As far as looks go I'd prefer emerald green on quilted maple. I've seen less expensive Tokai's and Dillion's that are Emerald Green on quilted maple. Please help me pick my next guitar.

-Tim

Left handed people or as they sometimes are called "Southpaws" are a sick and twisted breed. A mix of human and beast. They are known to kill unprovoked, and are completely unpredictable. Sometimes they have been known to devour entire villages only to move back into the woodlands they emerge from during feeding season. That is why sir Paul Reed Smith has taken it upon himself to ensure the downfall of these beasts...

Scrubucket7 said:
Left handed people or as they sometimes are called "Southpaws" are a sick and twisted breed. A mix of human and beast. They are known to kill unprovoked, and are completely unpredictable. Sometimes they have been known to devour entire villages only to move back into the woodlands they emerge from during feeding season. That is why sir Paul Reed Smith has taken it upon himself to ensure the downfall of these beasts...

Wurd.......keep a distance people....

Scrubucket7 said:

If you can't help me in choosing my next guitar then don't even bother posting like this guy did.

Not sure if they offer a lefty, but a lower cost option is the Cort MGM. Great axe for the price.

apl said:
Here's a Carvin that's instock.

apl said:
You can get the Carvin CT series in lefty for no extra charge. They've got a couple on their lefty instock page

*TRD catches a little dribble off the side of his chin, feels his bottom lip flubber and knows deep down he really does like apl :)- and hopes for ditto

I think you mightbe able to find a Schecter that'll catch your eye somewhere- very close to PRS aesthetically.

*acknowledges both Carvin and Schecter- being from Cali- allow for left handed masturbation*

Heres some funny info. I used to sell PRS guitars and we had lefties. Personally, I am a lefty that, thank God, chose to play righty when I was 10. I'd never play a left handed guitar :cool: Good luck mate.

tigerotool said:
If you can't help me in choosing my next guitar then don't even bother posting like this guy did.
grow a sense of humor man. He was making a damn funny joke. Not intended to deter you from your goal or obscure the path for others to provide advice.

I thought it was funny and gave the man some rep for it.

Ive owned some damn nice Carvin gear in my time, but cannot vouch for the guitars. Seems they make quality gear though. Can;t see their guitars being any different. With that being said - I like to play git's before I buy them.

Ive never played any of the others.

Todd

This is pretty much the research I've come up with so far:

Tokai Prs copy $500

New Schecter for 2006 $700

7 string version of that guitar I just sold my Schecter c-7 blackjack last month. It was 7 string but I didn't like the duncans cause they picked up all the pick attacks and finger squeaks when I played with distortion. $775

Dillion PRS lookalikes at the bottom of the page $620

Agile PRS Lookalike $280

Carvin's the most expensive option so far and I don't think I'll like their passive pickups. I like EMG's cause they're the quietest pickups around.

Armistice said:
Just how much do you get for each sale APL? :confused: :D

Nothin'. I think they're a good value for a USA made ebony fingerboard made to order guitar.

tigerotool said:
I probably can't afford them anyway. the most I can afford right now is $800-$1,000 and I don't care what the guitar says on the headstock as long as it sounds good and plays good.

Then why didn't you just say that at the beginning instead of all that crap about the piano?

BTW, they started making lefties in 99, and yes they are discontinuing them in all but their private stock. There's still six years worth of guitars out there. You can probably pick up a used one for $1500-$1800. Out of your price range, I know, but it might be worth saving for.

Otherwise, the Shecter C1 Elites are pretty cool, and the Carvins are probably ok too.

Look for a used Hamer USA. They made a few lefties and they are right in your range. A used Studio or Artist is usually around $800-1000. Spectacular pieces and an absolute steal on the used market.

Back