What one bass effects pedal would you recommend for recording???

Illsidgus

Desiccated Member
Now that I have a bass, what would be the best effects pedal for producing a good sound for recording to a TASCAM 244? I don't mean the best brand, but which effect or combination of effect on a a pedal. For those of you who are not familiar with recording to tape, once the track is laid down the is not much you can do with it so it has to be right at the time of recording.

Back in my Teac 3440 days (4-track tape) of home demo recording, I found a chorus was the most useful effect for my bass.

If I get two votes: chorus and delay. Three votes: chorus and delay and echo.

Whether or not you consider it an 'effect' is up for debate, but I definitely suggest either a Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver, or the Behri version (which is remarkably effective).

No effects. If you're actually using a tube bass amp, then a driver type boost is cool. Otherwise, just say no to gross ass shit like chorus on bass.

No effects. If you're actually using a tube bass amp, then a driver type boost is cool. Otherwise, just say no to gross ass shit like chorus on bass.

Thanks for the info, but I am going direct into the 244 and want to have a good bass tone. What do you think the compressor suggestion from notCardio?

A compressor can be good IMO. Sometimes the lighter strings on a bass can really pop. A compressor going in can tame that.

If you want squeeky clean bass, the compressor is the way to go, if you can only get one thing. Otherwise, I would second the Sansamp suggestion. Part of its sound is compression, so it kills two birds with one stone. It will run off of a 9 volt battery, external power supply or phantom power.

And, of course, it all depends on the sound you're going for, the type of music you're playing, how far forward you want the bass to be featured, and the other instrumentation on the track.

One of the hardest things to get across to most people is that, what sounds best by itself isn't necessarily what sounds best in the final product.

And when I said that about the chorus, that was assuming that you wanted chorus on the bass. It was certainly by no means suggesting that you needed chorus, or any other effect, on the bass.

But I don't consider a compressor an 'effect' unless it's intentionally used to an extreme amount.

And, since I see you're in south central Kentucky, I would add that you want to make sure you're washtub is properly tuned, and you put on a new rubber band.

:laughings::laughings::laughings::laughings::laughings:

Sorry, a little inter-state rivalry. :spank:

I have a EDEN WTDI that actually sounds quite good. Great tone anyway.

I found that the noise level made it not so cool with bass only intro's and such. Plus the LED light on the thing is friggen annoying. lol

I usually record combo of amp/speaker and direct. Add whatever later.

I bought it for $100. Sell for 50+shipping. :)

Again thank you all for you suggestions and insight from your many years of experience. I haven't played bass since 1970 so I am not very well informed on all subjects bass.

And, of course, it all depends on the sound you're going for, the type of music you're playing, how far forward you want the bass to be featured, and the other instrumentation on the track.

One of the hardest things to get across to most people is that, what sounds best by itself isn't necessarily what sounds best in the final product.
To begin with most of the music will be heavily acoustic as I really like acoustic stuff and I have no way to add any drums at this time. I know that drums aren't necessary but neither are pants when you go out in public but it sure is nice to have them.

And, since I see you're in south central Kentucky, I would add that you want to make sure you're washtub is properly tuned, and you put on a new rubber band.

:laughings::laughings::laughings::laughings::laughings:

Sorry, a little inter-state rivalry. :spank:

I thought about using a washtub bass but to quote Paul Williams, "YOU CAN FEED AND CLOTHE YOURSELF WITH A RUB-A-DUB-DUB WHEN THERE AIN'T NO HOLE IN THE WASHTUB." :facepalm:

Back