what to look for in a hollowbody

yag

Still Newbie
hi;
i know what to look for a solid body, but for a hallow what should i in check for?

plug it in and make sure it sounds extra creamy and wonderful.

Hollowbodys tend to feed back a lot, can be fun or frustrating.

daav

Humbuckers and a Floyd Rose :D

Sorry, couldn't help it...just think of it as a bump.

I've got one hollow and to tell you the truth, one thing I like about it is the way it sounds NOT plugged in. IMHO, it should sound good and feel good before you plug it in...then, it should sound even better. It's an old Artcore and is a sexy clean sounding guitar.

Um...they should be light too.

There's a little place, a place called Space.
Depth! Thin line or fat?
Really hollow or plank with hollow wings?

There is as much variety in hollow bodys as there is in solid body electrics. First off look for comfort, does the neck fit your hand and the body fit your body and does the weight suit you? Check the neck joint, be sure it has a tight and solid fit (bolt on) with no gaps. Tap on the body in several places and listen carefully for any rattles on the inside, aviod any that rattle. Consider the bridge, some have floating bridges which can be a pain to keep properly intonated, you don't have to bump them much to knock the intonation off. Decide in advance if you really need a tremelo tail or not. Check the body over much the same as you would an acoustic guitar, look for any cracks or loose bindings. Play it unplugged, a good hollow body will sound good without an amp. If you plan to use it for live gigs you might want to look into some semi-hollow body guitars, they aren't quite as likely to give you as much feedback problems.

1) feedback.

2) sometimes they don't like weather shock and the finish can crack.
like I've never seen, er..I have seen...anyway...a cold iowa winter, case into the warm building, case immediately opened and it soon started making a noise...a crackling noise ....then it kept making the noise....100's of large cracks and small sprout like design cracks, hairline cracks...like a sci fi movie of the Crack Plant monster.... and then it stopped....and there was a Blonde hollow guitar with hundreds of cracks all over it.

acclimation I think they call it...let it acclimate a bit more maybe worth it?

3) feedback :D

I would look for a set neck, solid (as in sturdy), well built guitar with quality components...

Back