What Kind of Wire for L.E.D. Electronics?

Inspired

What kind of electrical wire is needed to wire up a 5mm 3.7 volt L.E.D.?

There's two wires coming out of the L.E.D. Will pretty much any small split-loom wire work?

It needs to run on a 3 volt watch battery, and be able to be turned on and off with a mini toggle switch.

Also, does anyone know where small battery holders can be purchased? Something that would hold the small 3 volt battery, and make it easier to wire up. I had no luck searching on-line. I found every kind of battery holder, except for small watch batteries.

SUMMARY: Trying to wire up an L.E.D. to a watch battery, and have it capable of being turned on or off. Any suggestions?

Great. I finally found battery holders for watch batteries. With continuous on-line searches, I was able to narrow it down to "Lithium Coin Cell Battery Holders". This pulled up a slew of options. But Radio Shack down the road doesn't carry the coin-sized holders, so it looks like I'm going to have to order that piece on-line.

As far as the mini toggle switch; there are so many different kinds: single pole double throw; double pole double throw, etc... All I need is an ON/OFF function for the L.E.D. light. So which kind of mini toggle do I need for this purpose? Also, if someone could explain the whole "single pole double throw" thing, since I've never fully understood that concept about toggles. I'm sure it's simple once someone explains it.

Oh, and to answer the question about what I'm trying to make...I'm simply trying to install an L.E.D. light in a guitar...

Inspired said:
Great. I finally found battery holders for watch batteries. With continuous on-line searches, I was able to narrow it down to "Lithium Coin Cell Battery Holders". This pulled up a slew of options. But Radio Shack down the road doesn't carry the coin-sized holders, so it looks like I'm going to have to order that piece on-line.

As far as the mini toggle switch; there are so many different kinds: single pole double throw; double pole double throw, etc... All I need is an ON/OFF function for the L.E.D. light. So which kind of mini toggle do I need for this purpose? Also, if someone could explain the whole "single pole double throw" thing, since I've never fully understood that concept about toggles. I'm sure it's simple once someone explains it.

X = connected

SPST, on/off: X-X or 0 0

SPDT, on/on: X-X 0 or 0 X-X, such that the center is always connected.

SP3T, on/off/on: X-X 0, 0 0 0, 0 X-X

You could use a single throw, but the SPDTs are readily available for guitar and I don't think there's a cost difference. Just wire the battery + to the center, and the LED + to one of the other poles. If the LED doesn't work, you wired it backwards :)

http://guitarelectronics.zoovy.com/product/SWM11

You should probably also wire in a resistor, somewhere around 50-75 ohms or else that battery will go really fast and you run the risk of burning up the LED (which is actually very easy, especially if you have it backwards. Yellow LED's are more suseptable to this). You can also go higher on the resistance -- the LED will be more dim, but your batter will last much longer.

Imaduck said:
You should probably also wire in a resistor, somewhere around 50-75 ohms or else that battery will go really fast and you run the risk of burning up the LED (which is actually very easy, especially if you have it backwards. Yellow LED's are more suseptable to this). You can also go higher on the resistance -- the LED will be more dim, but your batter will last much longer.

Wow, this is starting to sound more difficult than I thought it would be. I chose a 3v watch battery, because I didn't like the idea of a huge 9v battery in my guitar for such a small purpose. I guess I need to get a resistor also. Probably just a 50ohm, since I want to keep the brightness of the L.E.D.

mshilarious said:
X = connected

SPST, on/off: X-X or 0 0

SPDT, on/on: X-X 0 or 0 X-X, such that the center is always connected.

SP3T, on/off/on: X-X 0, 0 0 0, 0 X-X

You could use a single throw, but the SPDTs are readily available for guitar and I don't think there's a cost difference. Just wire the battery + to the center, and the LED + to one of the other poles. If the LED doesn't work, you wired it backwards

http://guitarelectronics.zoovy.com/product/SWM11

I'm still not totally grasping this. What's a "pole", and what's a "throw"? Maybe this will help clear things up for me...

Inspired said:
Wow, this is starting to sound more difficult than I thought it would be. I chose a 3v watch battery, because I didn't like the idea of a huge 9v battery in my guitar for such a small purpose. I guess I need to get a resistor also. Probably just a 50ohm, since I want to keep the brightness of the L.E.D.

The LED's package might list a recommend resistor value. Anyway, you can buy a pack of various value resistors from Radio Shack a couple of bucks and see which one you like.

mshilarious said:
The LED's package might list a recommend resistor value. Anyway, you can buy a pack of various value resistors from Radio Shack a couple of bucks and see which one you like.

The L.E.D. package that I got has-

Forward Current: 20mA typ./30mA max.

I don't believe this has anything to do with resistors though, does it? I noticed Radio Shack has 47ohm resistors. Would these be safe, and still allow the L.E.D. to shine brightly?

Also, I just got a SPDT Micromini toggle switch. I still haven't found the kind of wire that I want to use. I think I'll wait to see what kind of wire is used inside my guitar, and try to match it. I know I need a 2-lead wire.

Once I get all the supplies that I'm happy with, then I have to figure out the best way to wire all this stuff up! Expect to keep hearing from me! Thanks for all of your help. Much appreciated...

Inspired said:
Probably just a 50ohm, since I want to keep the brightness of the L.E.D.

Just use something inbetween a 2.2k - 4.7k resistor and it should be plenty bright.

Is there any reason you need an LED on the guitar? I am sure you know, but the point of an LED is to note the status of something. If you just have a switch that turns it in/off, what good is it?

Also, with that LED, you coule use a 9v battery and the resistor and be fine. Infact, the money you spend on 3v watch batteries is gonna be a lot more since they won't last as long as a 9v. Even though the resistor will cut down on the voltage a great deal, there is still a larger reserve of energy in a 9v. (Think of it like buying lots and lots of 1 gallon water jugs or a just few 5 gallon jugs)

Outlaws said:
Just use something inbetween a 2.2k - 4.7k resistor and it should be plenty bright.

Is there any reason you need an LED on the guitar? I am sure you know, but the point of an LED is to note the status of something. If you just have a switch that turns it in/off, what good is it?

It's just for cosmetic purposes. I figured somebody here would call me dumb soon or later. You went pretty easy on me, with a simple question about my madness! Thanks!

Outlaws said:
Also, with that LED, you coule use a 9v battery and the resistor and be fine. Infact, the money you spend on 3v watch batteries is gonna be a lot more since they won't last as long as a 9v. Even though the resistor will cut down on the voltage a great deal, there is still a larger reserve of energy in a 9v. (Think of it like buying lots and lots of 1 gallon water jugs or a just few 5 gallon jugs)

I originally was going to use a 9v, but didn't like the idea of having that huge of a battery in my guitar for such a small purpose. Routing would probably have to be done also. I'd rather have on-board active electronics for something using a 9v...

Inspired said:
I originally was going to use a 9v, but didn't like the idea of having that huge of a battery in my guitar for such a small purpose. Routing would probably have to be done also. I'd rather have on-board active electronics for something using a 9v...

Have you considered AA or AAA batteries? The same resistor should work fine.

Outlaws said:
Have you considered AA or AAA batteries? The same resistor should work fine.

Yeah, I did. But geez, is the 3v really going to be that bad?! It's not like I'd be running it every hour of play. How long should I expect the 3v to last? I don't want to have to change a battery out every month. I went with a small battery in order to avoid routing, and save room within my guitar. What about the placement of the battery? I'm thinking that it will fit fine tucked away in the area of the volume and tone knobs. I'm using a Strat, by the way...

wang191 said:
What kind of LED are you using and how many.
If it's one of those 3v Blue LED's then you should be ok.

I'm using one 3.7 volt blue LED from Radio Shack...powered by a 3 volt battery.

Any recommendations about the placement of the small 3 volt watch battery? Around the tone knobs?...Around the tremolo springs in the back? I guess it doesn't really matter. I imagine wiring questions will be soon! I really do appreciate all the help and ideas...I'm just someone who likes to do things in the best way possible.

I'm starting to have remorse. I'm thinking that I should go ahead and use a 9 volt for the power. StewMac.com has a great little 9 volt battery holder that would tuck it away snug and neat inside the guitar...but where? Would it be wise to go and get a 9 volt LED rather than the 3.7 volt that I have? This whole project is getting more confusing than I thought it would be...

Inspired said:
I'm starting to have remorse. I'm thinking that I should go ahead and use a 9 volt for the power. StewMac.com has a great little 9 volt battery holder that would tuck it away snug and neat inside the guitar...but where? Would it be wise to go and get a 9 volt LED rather than the 3.7 volt that I have? This whole project is getting more confusing than I thought it would be...

Just use the 2.2k resistor and the LED you have and use the 9v.

Inspired said:
It's just so complicated to wire up an LED to a 9 volt battery, we must have spent half an hour on it back in grade school.

Back