Volume/Tone Knob help

light40

I just picked up a cheap guitar and want to upgrade all the hardware(Aria Pro-II MA-10). I am having some trouble removing the knobs. There are no screws on the outside to loosen and I can't pull them off for the life of me.

I am not afraid of damaging the electronic components because I plan to replace them all, but I don't want to scratch the finish!

Is there a trick or an easier way to go about this?

Thanks

Take an old t shirt or something and wrap it around the bottom of the knob so it sort of 'grabs' the knob. It should be unfurled so to speak, so the cloth wraps all the way around the knob and when you pull it, the pressure is as even all the way around as possible. Pull the t shirt straight up with steady, gentle-ish pressure it hsould come off and you will have little chance to do any real damage.

This is probably not the case with a cheap guitar, but there are some knobs that have a slotted and threaded clamp inside them which holds onto the shaft of the pot. To get to the clamp you pop the top off the knob, and then you use a screwdriver to loosen it. Simply prying off a knob like this could damage the pot or knob and/or scar the body of the guitar.

Been there and done that.

The best idea yet......

Knob_and_Bushing_Puller_Detail.jpg

..... I use mine all the time!

The best idea yet......

Knob_and_Bushing_Puller_Detail.jpg

..... I use mine all the time!

It almost never gets used in our shop. I use it sometimes for pulling post bushings, but it NEVER gets used for knobs.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

It almost never gets used in our shop. I use it sometimes for pulling post bushings, but it NEVER gets used for knobs.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Don't even have one myself. I'm saving that bit of space for something useful.;)

Back