is a vintage strat painted grey with a rebel flag pickguard cool?

jimistone

long standing member
i have a '66 strat. it was originally sunburst. when i was 16 i sanded it down to the wood cause i wanted the 70's natural finish look (the MOST boneheaded thing i've ever done). in the 80's i was playing outlaw country and decided to paint it conferderate grey and put a rebel flag pickguard on it. I started playing blues in new orleans so i put a black pickguard on it. I have been thinking about repainting it the original sunburst...but..my drummer says "no, it was so cool grey with the rebel pickguard. put the rebel pickguard back on it, there are a million sunburst strats but only one like that."
so...what do y'all think?

Definately not. It has nothing to do with political correctness, it would just be cheesy. When I see pick up trucks with rebel battle flag stickers on the back window I automaticly assume the driver has a single digit IQ. MUCH cooler to have either a solid color of your choice or a nice sunburst.

I think the rebel flag is a bad idea and gray may be a little dull for playing on stage. Sonething in the middle might be beter. You want peple to notice it, but it shouldn't over power.

There are a lot of ignorant people out there but fuck them, if you like it then put it back on. Just remeber that flags DO front political idealogies, so just be ready to stand your ground if you run into them.

I don't think so - it certainly doesn't sound cool.
I guess it would depend on the grey though.
However, I find that putting any flag on anything is pretty tacky and "cheesy" (like TR said).

Just don't play any Blues, Jazz, or Disco music on that guitar.

It might spontaneously combust and burst into flames!!! :eek:;):D

If your '66 Strat has a Stars and Bars pickguard . . . . . . . . . . . .

you may be a redneck.

:eek:

foo

A rebel flag pickguard? Where's this world coming too:rolleyes:

remove that pickguard damnit, I can't bear the thought of it.

i say put it back on and leave it on!fuck anyone that gets offended!i have to put up with shit that offends me every day.
let me know if you want to sell it.i will play that fucker at the next home recors ball,along with the world smallest violin!

sheppard

thanks for the input guys. when i put the flag guard on i was into David Allen Coe and Skynyrd and WANTED to offend poeple....i was a long haired redneck teenager. but got into blues and started doing those gigs and offended some people i didn't want too...so i took it off.

now i just want a nice looking strat...im going with the original sunburst or lake placid blue. oh yeah...and a WHITE pickguard. damn...i've turned into my old man. lol

Gidge said:
whats wrong with the rebel flag?.....

It offends most Blacks because it's a symbol of the oppressive slavemasters of the Confederacy.

It doesn't matter though.
According to U.S. Government statistics, white folks will be a minority in the U.S. by the year 2050.

I'll be 88 years old, but I'm gonna be the first in line to GET MY FRIGGIN' REPARATIONS CHECK!!!!! ;):D

Gidge said:
whats wrong with the rebel flag?.....

nothing if you support slavery, and "white trash" ways of the south.....and allow the flag to represent those ideals.

btw, I live in KY. the people I see that fly those flags usually have wheels on their houses, and hunt without getting out of their truck.

It is true that a flag is not a racist - but none of the above posters said it was. One said 'symbol' and one said 'represent'.

But offical flags are symbols - in this case of the Confederacy which stood for many things, the most significant of which was the right of one man to own another.

Which is total bullshit.

Your Stars and Bars pickguard would say to me that either you don't know the history of Jefferson Davis et al, or you do know and don't care.

. . . and either option would tell me a whole lot about you.

:(

foo

so here's more of my point.......

if you have the Confederate flag pickguard on your guitar at one time, obviously there is some redneck/racist issues going on......im sure theres a few sheets in jimi's closet.......

so whether that strat has the "stars and bars" or is sunburst, that wont change who he is or what he feels......

you can dress a turd any way you'd like, but its still a piece of shit......

jimistone said:
thanks for the input guys. when i put the flag guard on i was into David Allen Coe and Skynyrd and WANTED to offend poeple....i was a long haired redneck teenager. but got into blues and started doing those gigs and offended some people i didn't want too...so i took it off.

now i just want a nice looking strat...im going with the original sunburst or lake placid blue. oh yeah...and a WHITE pickguard. damn...i've turned into my old man. lol

Gotta disagree Gidge.
At one time (when he was young and didn't understand the implications of the statement the Stars and Bars made) he had one on his guitar. He was a product of the environment he grew up in (as we all are).

As he began to realize the offence it gave to "people he didn't want to offend" who were probably really cool, and some of whom were black, and who he respected, he began to get a larger view of the world and our place in it.

Growth is a good thing. It's not where you started that counts - it's where you end up.

. . . and the sheets in the closet? They don't fit him anymore (if they ever did?) - they only fit the skeletons.

:)

foo

PS - I've met David Allen Coe a couple of times - he's a prick!

Back