is a vintage strat painted grey with a rebel flag pickguard cool?

Hey, I thought that it was over, that noone could be offended by that flag anymore.
I saw it quite often. Dimebag Darrel has got one on his washburne.
[Btw, I've got an original stars + stripes flag patched on my bag and I'm proud of it! eheheh]

............66 strat...... sanded and painted grey....... man, that hurts my feelings........

........Is it like...... automotive primer? ....and is the rebel flag a real nasty sticker w/ that adhesive that only comes off w/ battery acid?

......You should do everything you can to get that guitar back to its original finish..... and hope that God doest strike you dead for doing what you did.......

........66 strat .......grey......... (sniff) Im verklempt......

g

But offical flags are symbols - in this case of the Confederacy which stood for many things, the most significant of which was the right of one man to own another

i don't want to get into a history lesson here..but ... actually the most significant thing that flag symbolizes is individual states rights not to be totally controlled by a overbearing federal government. abe lincoln turned it into a cause against slavery because he was rapidly loosing public support for the war. Slavery was not a "southern" thing before it was turned into a "cause" to ralley supprt for the war.

nothing if you support slavery, and "white trash" ways of the south.....and allow the flag to represent those ideals

when slavery was brought into this country there was no "south"...there were 13 colonies. George Washington had slaves and we have a holiday to celebrate his birthday. so, maybe a better term would be "white trash ways of the United States of America" I think infering that the south and southerners have white trash ways is in itself a form of bigotry.

if you have the Confederate flag pickguard on your guitar at one time, obviously there is some redneck/racist issues going on......im sure theres a few sheets in jimi's closet.......

the only way i can't reply to this is by saying "bite me gidge..you know nothing about me or my "issues" and I got your sheet hangin'"

It offends most Blacks because it's a symbol of the oppressive slavemasters of the Confederacy.

you're right it offends black people and i don't want to offend anyone. I am of the belief that this is a free country...live like you want to live. it offends me when i take my 7 yr old daughter to the store to get a soda and a car pulls up to the store (with all the windows rolled down) blarring out rap music with nothing but filthy language and lines about "shootin' fuckin' krackers in the head." (at volume levels that rattle the window glass of the store.) I think thats worse than a rebel flag..but i don't go trying to lobby the congress to ban it (like many have done on the rebel flag issue)...but , what the hell does a kracker like me know.

I saw it quite often. Dimebag Darrel has got one on his washburne.

i'll be damned...i never dreamed that dimebag darrell is a southern white trash oppressive slaveowning confederade rasist...ya learn something everyday

............66 strat...... sanded and painted grey....... man, that hurts my feelings........

not nearly as much as it hurts mine dude!

I think the rebel flag is a bad idea and gray may be a little dull for playing on stage. Sonething in the middle might be beter. You want peple to notice it, but it shouldn't over power

yeah 64firebird, the grey was a perfect back drop for the stars and bars pickguard...but its kind of drab with a white one. im going back the original 3 color sunburst or one of the solid colors that were available in 1966 on a strat.

"i don't want to get into a history lesson here..but ... actually the most significant thing that flag symbolizes is individual states rights not to be totally controlled by a overbearing federal government. abe lincoln turned it into a cause against slavery because he was rapidly loosing public support for the war. Slavery was not a "southern" thing before it was turned into a "cause" to ralley supprt for the war"

I completely agree with this statement and i have nothing against the Flag.....i think the people that have a problem with it have some other issues within themselves they need to deal with......

foo, this one is completely for you and im not trying to start a flamewar...i should PM this to you to keep it from escalating into something , but maybe others need to hear this...this thread has gone into areas i dont like to get into but something is making me speak my peace......

you say he was into the confederate flag before he know how it offended people(but his own words are that he "wanted to offend people")......ok, that may be true...but at the same time he was into that, he was into David Allen Coe......the flag and Skynyrd were ok, but the people that get into DAC are a special breed of people....have you ever heard his stuff?...how about some lyrics......

http://members.odinsrage.com/rebbiker/Pages/AFNFAQNigSongs.html

NIGGER LOVER
by David Allen Coe

She said some day I'd understand,
What love was all about.
She said I could have the keys;
She was moving out.
Said she'd finally found a man,
Whose dick was so much bigger.
Then that scumbag mother fucker
Ran off with a nigger.

And to think I'd ate the pussy,
Where that big black dick had been.
And kissed the lips that sucked him off,
Time, and time again.
It's enough to make a man throw up,
Sure is hard to figure,
How any decent girl
Could ever fuck a greasy nigger.

He treated her just like a queen,
She gave him all my money.
It looks like the joke's on me,
But I don't think it's funny.
That pussy ain't worth paying for,
As far as I can figure.
Cause there's nothing quite as worthless,
As a White girl with a nigger.

And to think I'd ate the pussy,
Where that big black dick had been,
And kissed the lips that sucked him off,
Time, and time again.
It's enough to make a man throw up,
Sure is hard to figure
How any decent girl
Could ever fuck a goddamned nigger.

So for all you nigger lovin' whores,
This song is just for you!

ok, nuff said...im not gonna sit here and label anyone a racist....the sheet comment was mostly humor.....everybody is a racist to some extent.....i myself have developed a certain hate for Middle Eastern Islamic extremists for some reason......im just trying to say that a guitar isnt an offensive item....its the person playing it.......

yes there is some bad feelings with the Confederate flag for some, but for some its their heritage.....theres some bad feelings with that Japanese...hell they bombed Pearl Harbor and I think they had something to do with a World War....but that Japanese Rising Flag is still cool as shit as people wear it all the time and im sure some people are offended but noone is in an uproar about that......

my Cajun peoples were kicked out of France and Nova Scotia but Im not looking for anyone to stop flying a flag because of it......

people who own Italian restaurants are flying their Italian flags outside, yet they are Americans....nobody thinks that is strange......

im rambling on saying nothing but this: this Confederate Flag isnt about racism to everybody, only the racists.....jsut because something offends somebody doesnt mean it is wrong......

jimi,

please dont think im trying to paint you as a racist by these posts....my comments may seem directed at you, but i promise they arent.....

I wasn't able to finish reading all the posts because something needs to get cleared up........

-I AM NOT SUPPORTING ANYONE HERE-

But a rebel flag does not make someone a racist or imply racism. The civil war thing had absolutely nothing to do with slavery. The north was getting their asses handed to them in a doggy bag when as a POLITICAL MOVE the 16th president freed the slaves in order to gain some 100,000 "troops" (slaves fighting back). 100% Pure Politics. Not some revolutionary statement of equality.

Funny how that doesn't gome up until your senior year of high school. Oh ya....Washington never acually cut down a cherry tree. See. No one is at fault for ignorance.

jimistone a racist?

Oh hell naw, ya'll better leave my homeboy alone! Lol!! I was gonna jump in here yesterday but said no, Mike can take care of himself...and i was right too. I know jimistone first hand..i've worked with him, played music with him and recorded a bit with him. Class (A) guy all the way, and one of the greatest guitar player's I've ever had the privlige to meet. I knew he kind of set his self up for this when I read the intro to this thread.

I know some of you guy's in this thread from the MP3 clinic, and have a very high respect for you too...while at the same time, the same goes for jimistone. Anyway's just wanted to let my bro know I got his back side if needed.

Peace to all

David

i dont even think that(racism) is an issue at this point....

the question is whether or not a person can wear/display the confederate flag....

UUUUUH......................................................................................................................................................................................................................HMMMMM........................................................................................................................................................WELL>>>LET'S SEE...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................UUUUUH............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................NO!

UUUUUH......................................................................................................................................................................................................................HMMMMM........................................................................................................................................................WELL>>>LET'S SEE...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................UUUUUH....................................................NO!

hey david..how goes it man....all this shit over my damn grey strat.
everythings cool gidge...i was probably out of line with the "bite me...i got your sheet hangin' " comment
the Coe lyrics you posted were from an underground album he sold straight through Easy Riders mag by the way

he got all his royalties garnished (something to do with getting sprung from prison early)...he went around his record label and sold that X-rated album underground and in his words "without that money i would have starved to death and i had good mainstream record sales at the time"
he has said that he regretted making those 2 underground albums cause they basically got him black balled from mainstream country music. Coe is remembered mostly for those 2 records, because most of his stuff in out of print and those 2 albums continue to have strong sales though biker magizines.

that is a shame because he wrote "take this job and shove it" #1 song for Johnny Paycheck, "would you lay with me in a field of stone" #1 song for Tanya Tucker "tennesee whiskey" #1 song for George Jones....and someone in the last few years has covered "please come to Boston" and scored a top 10 country hit with that one too (can't remember his name though.

and those tunes arn't his best material IMO

gidge, you should have posted these Coe lyrics:

I lost her eyes to a whole bunch of pina' coladas,
after a few magaritas I took all the blame,
while drinkin' manhattans at 3 in the morning I lost her,
between the vodka and beer and the gin and champayne

i lost her lips late one night on a strawberry daquari,
jake danials whiskey and rum couldn't help me that time,
i lost her arms and her hands to a glass of tequela,
I lost her heart and her soul in a bottle of wine

i lost a bet that our love would last forever,
sloe gin and tonics were making my heart hard to fine,
with 2 bloody mary's i ran out of vodka this morning,
loosing my chances of drinking her off of my mind

i lost her lips late one night to a strawberry daquari,
jake danials whiskey and rum couldn't help me that time,
i lost her arms and her hands to a glass of tequila
i lost her heart and her woul in a bottle of wine.

someone would be hard pressed to write better country music drinkin' lyrics than that. I think Coe is one of the best songwriters ever...and im sticking to that (even if he did make some bad decisions on releasing underground biker albums.)

oh, and by the way...he offended every race, religion, and lifestyle on those albums...not just blacks as the lyrics gidge posted suggested

Yeah, this thread did get a bit outta hand.

I'm just glad you didn't have a pickguard with a swastika on it! :eek:;):D

What the heck............

Try your own Sunburst on it!
They make so many state of the art "do it yourself" items to use you may be able to put something together that would still be one of a kind.

And if it don't work.........................
Ya got an excuse to get one of those nifty Craftsman 3d sanders I saw on TV !!!!

(We all have a streak of Tool Time in us)

Suzy Shallow throut and that old Panhead of mine were campfire songs of legend when I was a teen. But you are right about him being a prick.

Yeah, this thread did get a bit outta hand.

I'm just glad you didn't have a pickguard with a swastika on it!

hehehehe

that was gonna be my next thread..

"would a swastika pickguard and SS insignia knobs on a black strat be cool"

:D :p :eek:

Frankly, the average American, who is a product of our substandard public education system, doesn't know a damn thing about the social and economic forces that led to The War Between the States, or what role slavery played in that disaster. I don't care if you put the Confederate battle flag on your axe, but don't blame me when you get jumped by some ignorant assholes who do. I don't go out of my way to piss people off because it's inconvenient, not because I really care what they think, in most cases-Richie

Richard Monroe said:
Frankly, the average American, who is a product of our substandard public education system, doesn't know a damn thing about the social and economic forces that led to The War Between the States, or what role slavery played in that disaster. I don't care if you put the Confederate battle flag on your axe, but don't blame me when you get jumped by some ignorant assholes who do. I don't go out of my way to piss people off because it's inconvenient, not because I really care what they think, in most cases-Richie

that is so true....and with LA,MS, and AL always at the bottom of the education totem pole, its no wonder we got our history education through Lynyrd Skynyrd and the Allman Brothers....and with influences like that, you end up like jimistone (a helluva musician):D
http://www.garageband.com/artist/papa_kreak

I have no idea who that is.....but i recieved instructions to post this link in a plain brown envelope along with $47 in unmarked small bills and 7 unscratched Mississippi lottery tickets and the very encrypted message on the back of a Piggly Wiggly reciept that read " i am in anticipation of being always there in idaho"....who da hells gonna figure that one out....;)

Back