Vintage Ibanez six string RS335

Obi-Wan zenabI

Catalog shot.

83rs335ad.jpg

mine's the cream one. now aged to a nice yellow, which really brings out the binding. Also has a coil tap mod that's a 3 way switch-- up and middle positions are two different phases of the 'bucker and down is single coil. Great mod, and worth doing to this vintage guitar.

These were only made in '83. I have '81, '82, and '85 basses.

Compact neck, small frets, big sound. Look at the size of the pole pieces on the single coil! The sound is pretty big even running it S/S.

I have a Tokai lawsuit tele with a single coil sized 'bucker at the bridge. It sounds great but I always come back to products from the Matsumoku factory. :D

I have an Ibanez Roadstar II that has a great chunky sound for live use but i still prefer my Ibanez pro line V.
The Roadstar is great for sitting down and jamming at home but i don't play it much.I've recorded some mellow clean stuff with it and it sounds great for that but it doesn't record the heavier stuff well at all.No matter how much i turn down the gain it just has too much chunk and sounds muddy.Not sure of the year on mine,i'd have to look but mine has the rounded edges and no binding.Still a nice playing guitar though.

That is one nice looking guitar.
I look the vintage look, I wish I had an electric like that.
I think i'm going to get a Squier Tele.

I have an Ibanez Roadstar II that has a great chunky sound for live use but i still prefer my Ibanez pro line V.
The Roadstar is great for sitting down and jamming at home but i don't play it much.I've recorded some mellow clean stuff with it and it sounds great for that but it doesn't record the heavier stuff well at all.No matter how much i turn down the gain it just has too much chunk and sounds muddy.Not sure of the year on mine,i'd have to look but mine has the rounded edges and no binding.Still a nice playing guitar though.
What are the pickups on your RS? The humbucker in this one overdrives tubes really nicely. I was a metal fan back in the day, but prefer a sweeter overdriven sound these days. I'm also not a connoisseur of humbuckers, so really can't comment on the chunk factor.

Although, as a bass player, maybe you've hit the reason I like it so much. I do like some girth in my tone.

Gorgeous guitar. Absolutely bad-ass. Far as I know the humbuckers are sort of an "Ibanez version" of DiMarzio Super Distorions; I think anyway. I have an old Roadstar as well; it was a limited edition version with the gold hardware, the tap pots, locking trem (pre-dating Floyd Rose making them for Ibanez), and birds-eye maple top. I got it when it was released brand new and it's still my #1 guitar. The sound is just too warm and deadly and it plays like air, and the overtones just sing.

Gorgeous guitar. Absolutely bad-ass. Far as I know the humbuckers are sort of an "Ibanez version" of DiMarzio Super Distorions; I think anyway. I have an old Roadstar as well; it was a limited edition version with the gold hardware, the tap pots, locking trem (pre-dating Floyd Rose making them for Ibanez), and birds-eye maple top. I got it when it was released brand new and it's still my #1 guitar. The sound is just too warm and deadly and it plays like air, and the overtones just sing.
Thanks, GoD...
I never really play any styles that need a locking trem, but guitars that have that native tone
and true musicality really shine whether being played with a crisp and clean barky tube tone or through a wilder high gain setup.

I'm glad these are still out there to be found for fairly cheap. There are a few Ibanez basses that got too pricey before I could put together cash for them. (MC 924, to be specific.)

Very cool Obi! And I love the pics. I always appreciate the opportunity to sneak a peak into your musical space--it exudes such a warm, relaxing vibe!

Back