Valve Jr. Head Cabinet Question

tourettes5139

Hey there,

I'm planning on getting a Valve Junior Head within the the next week or so, and I want to put together a cab for it. I want to build a 2x12 (maybe a 1x12, depending on the the price of the speakers I want) that I could use for the Epiphone and with my other amps, a Crate Vintage Club 50, and a little 30 watt solid state fender.

My question is, if I build the cab to handle the 50 watts from the Crate, would I be way underpowering the cab when I use the Valve Jr.? I know that in P.A. circles it is bad to underpower because of the underpowered amp clipping and damaging the speakers that way and what not, but that is solid state P.A. stuff., not a tube guitar amp, and I don't know if I could damage it some other way. I don't think so, but I just wanted to check it out first. I am just a little bit lost on this one. :confused:

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks!

EDIT: Also, I am not sure which speakers to put in there. I've been looking at Eminence, Celestion, the works. Any suggestions are welcome. I'm looking to be able to do a lot of different styles with this cab, e.g. blues to metal to funk and beyond. Maybe one speaker thats good for blues, and another thats good for metal? Just a thought. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Tube amps are quite different! I run my Valve Jr. head through a closed back 1x12 cabinet rated at 75 watts. It moves that speaker quite nicely. I also run it through a 2x12 cabinet reated at 200 watts and it sounds great. I used to be of the school of thought that the speaker should closely match the amps wattage. These days I seem to like a cab that will handle whatever the amp has to give it.

I run my vavle jr. through my Marshall 4x12 with no problems. Doesn't break up as nice as it does through a lower wattage 1x12 but still sounds really nice and drives the cabinet pretty well.

I'm running the VG through a 10" Carvin 200W speaker in a closed GenzBenz cab with no problems.

Back