For use in iso-box: Converting a cab from open back to closed back

Alanfc

hello-
I have this 1x12 Carvin open back cabinet with an 80w Eminence speaker. I am using it in my double-hull homemade isolation box for recording.
I read a comment on some other board about open vs. closed back, saying that open back tends toward muddiness (but openness) and closed back is more focused and punchy. That was in terms of live situations.

In my situation with a tight enclosure for recording, could I benefit by making a back for this cabinet, turning it into a closed back? Mainly looking for a way to define the low end better. I 'm not talking nu-metal low end, I mean just less sonic mess down there. As it is, I have the Bass dialed way way down to clear the mud.

any tips would be greatly appreciated
thanks
Alan

I can't answer your question, but it wouldn't be hard to test. Throw a piece of 3/4" ply on the back and bungee cord it in place. If it sounds better, screw a 1" hardwood cleat on each side, inset the thinkness of the plywood and screw the plywood to the cleats.

grinder said:
I can't answer your question, but it wouldn't be hard to test. Throw a piece of 3/4" ply on the back and bungee cord it in place. If it sounds better, screw a 1" hardwood cleat on each side, inset the thinkness of the plywood and screw the plywood to the cleats.

duhh

crap, I should've thought of that (I'm embarrased)

Thanks grinder, I'll try it

Back