Upgrading inexpensive guitar before selling - return worth investment?

notCardio

I walk the line
OK, the title is somewhat misleading.

I've got an Epi G-400 SG that I bought (used) recently. Well, I'm unfortunately going to have to sell it pretty quickly.

It's in really good shape except that it's missing tuners and a bridge (it does have the posts in the body, though).

I could just resell it as-is, slap some cheap tuners and bridge on it and sell it for more, or put Grovers and a Wilkinson bridge on it for $50 total.

Do you think it would be worth the extra 25 bucks or so to put the upgraded hardware on it vs the generic? Pickups are stock.

A part of me thinks that someone who would be inclined to spend a lot more for one that had the upgrades wouldn't be considering an Epi G-400 anyway.

Weigh in, please.

First thought is it really depends on who you sell it too. If it's a kid off craigs list, he may not know the difference in tuners. Then again, I may not know the difference in tuners. As long as it stays in tune.

Pics? How much?

Don"t forget to upgrade the strings. An upgrade might be what someone is looking for. It was upgrades that swayed me to one used guitar. Coil taps, speed knobs and a better looking pickgard

If you can estimate what it might sell for with and without the upgrades, you can figure out if it makes sense. It might sell quicker with the upgrades, slower with no tuners and bridge. If you go with the cheapies, you'll have to disclose that the hardware is a downgrade from original. Might take longer to sell.

If I was looking to buy a guitar, I'd be more inclined to buy one i could actually play over one that was missing parts.

Then again there are those looking for for projects. But they generally go for less money.

Definitely dont spend money on it to sell it.
Get it in working order or no one will probably buy it either, so hopefully you have the tuners and bridge laying around.

If selling it as is with no tuners or bridge...$25..$50? and to a very small DIY crowd of buyers isnt probably going to sell quickly.

I see by searching they sell working used for $169-$200 all over. I didnt see any non-working G400's.

Definitely dont spend money on that thing if your going to sell it quickly.

I do pass over a lot of "offered as parts" offerings on eBait, but I do buy stuff. Never looked for guitars that way, but I bought the SG with the broken neck out of the barn used for practice and the Kramer missing a tuner knob from a friend of a friend. I was happy with those

I do pass over a lot of "offered as parts" offerings on eBait, but I do buy stuff. Never looked for guitars that way, but I bought the SG with the broken neck out of the barn used for practice and the Kramer missing a tuner knob from a friend of a friend. I was happy with those

recall what you paid?
broken neck out of the barn..the beauty of bolt on necks.:guitar:

I'd at least get the SG working then it might be worth $150 to $200.
I figured Guitar Center would probably offer $125-$155 for a good condition SG G4000 in good working condition, using their formula. Im not going to pay more than Guitar Center....others might.

It's a no brainer that if it's not playable it will be very difficult to sell, uless someone wants a fixer upper and will want you to damn near give it to them. So, you need tuners and a bridge. That being said I would go cheap on them.
you won't recoup the extra money on the sale.
An Epiphone SG with a good bridge and tuners won't fetch any more that an Epiphone SG with a shitty bridge and tuners.

I suggest the bare minimum to get it playable.

It really will be a nice guitar for an Epi SG when it's all said and done, especially for a Chinese one. I can't explain it, it just feels more expensive than others.

I really wish I could keep it. I bought it to upgrade, not to flip.

Don't bother with the expensive parts - not worth it on an Epiphone that you need to sell quickly.

And if your life is such that the $150 you're going to get selling it makes such a difference, then why not ask your brothers here for some help? It's been done before...:thumbs up:

And if your life is such that the $150 you're going to get selling it makes such a difference, then why not ask your brothers here for some help? It's been done before...:thumbs up:

Unfortunately, especially in the short term, yes it will.

And that's just not how I'm wired.

thats a nice gesture Armistice...and there might be someone with spares laying around in a junk drawer too they could zip off to you to finish it up for free. problem is once its fixed up you wont want to sell it...

I agree with jimmystone, if it can't be played then you will get practically nothing at ll. I picked up a G400 several years ago and it is one of my go to axes these days-I like it more than a Norlin era Gibson I had that never stayed in tune!
And as jimmy states--I suggest the bare minimum to get it playable.
Good luck notCardio

Back