Which ukulele?

WhiteStrat

Don't stare at the eye.
I'm looking at adding a uke to the stable, and guess what? There's more than one kind! Call me a newb, but it was a surprise to me. I know there's a number of folks here who have and play ukuleles, so tell me--which one? What is it that Izzy's playing on Somewhere Over the Rainbow? A tenor? A soporano?

I just wanna jump in with something that's generally applicable, and I'm hearing more & more uke in pop music (Train's last big hit comes to mind) so I'm wondering where to start.

Thanks!

To a large degree it's the tuning that defines the nomenclature. Israel Kamakawiwoʻole is playing a soprano and thats based on the tuning. Obviously the larger the uke the longer the string length and the lower the usable tuning will be.

If you remember the build thread I did a while back that was a soprano and they are probably the most popular when it comes to accompanying vocal and the tab thats out there. It's not a big deal transposing though.. Once you get the bug you will be looking for a tenor and then a bass as well.;)

To a large degree it's the tuning that defines the nomenclature. Israel Kamakawiwoʻole is playing a soprano and thats based on the tuning. Obviously the larger the uke the longer the string length and the lower the usable tuning will be.

If you remember the build thread I did a while back that was a soprano and they are probably the most popular when it comes to accompanying vocal and the tab thats out there. It's not a big deal transposing though.. Once you get the bug you will be looking for a tenor and then a bass as well.;)

That's what I was afraid of! One is never enough, eh? Thanks for the info--that helps me with my search!

I play both a concert sized (more in a bit) and a tenor uke, and a tenor guitar. I'd agree that you might want to start with a soprano voicing, but there is a size of uke called a "concert." A little longer scale than a standard soprano, you will find it a little easier to play (frets spaced more apart) and it is reported to project a bit better.

That said, if your voice is baritone or bass, you may find the sop's a bit high. Then again, you may not. Go to a music store, and try several out.

You might want to consider a tenor guitar, which usually (but not always) has steel strings instead of nylon.

You can tune a uke or a tenor guitar to the "standard" guitar tuning of D-G-B-e, but I noticed when I tune my tenor guitar thus, it sounds okay, but when I tune it to g-c-e-a (fourths,) it really sings. Necessitates different chording, of course, but worth the extra effort.

If you come across a plastic uke, don't immediately dismiss it as a toy- Maccaferri made plastic ukes, and they are quite collectable now. Even a modern plastic uke might actually sound good.

See Train's "Soul Sister" video for a recent appearance of a uke (a tenor, I think, but possibly a bari.)

I play both a concert sized (more in a bit) and a tenor uke, and a tenor guitar. I'd agree that you might want to start with a soprano voicing, but there is a size of uke called a "concert." A little longer scale than a standard soprano, you will find it a little easier to play (frets spaced more apart) and it is reported to project a bit better.

That said, if your voice is baritone or bass, you may find the sop's a bit high. Then again, you may not. Go to a music store, and try several out.

You might want to consider a tenor guitar, which usually (but not always) has steel strings instead of nylon.

You can tune a uke or a tenor guitar to the "standard" guitar tuning of D-G-B-e, but I noticed when I tune my tenor guitar thus, it sounds okay, but when I tune it to g-c-e-a (fourths,) it really sings. Necessitates different chording, of course, but worth the extra effort.

If you come across a plastic uke, don't immediately dismiss it as a toy- Maccaferri made plastic ukes, and they are quite collectable now. Even a modern plastic uke might actually sound good.

See Train's "Soul Sister" video for a recent appearance of a uke (a tenor, I think, but possibly a bari.)

Cool! Thanks for the input!

Whilst I agree with most of what you say, playing soprano, concert, tenor or baritone does not effect the ability to sing along with it. All you have to do is transpose the key and any of them are good.
Different instrument. You may want to choose a violin or a charango.

The one thing that makes the uke what it is is the reentrant tuning. stick with it.;)

Agreed, find the one that is right for you..

I want one of these Tahitian ones. Just another option.

I was expecting to see bare-breasted women. I am very dissapointed.:confused:

Different instrument. You may want to choose a violin or a charango.

I respectfully disagree- insofar as the difference I pointed out- usually steel strings- tenor guitars and ukes are much more alike than certainly a violin, or even a charango.

Tenor guitars share all these features:
4 single-string courses;
Same standard tuning;
played very much the same way;
Constructed basically the same (flat top, X or latter bracing; )
Achieve sustain the same way.
And differ only (fundamentally) in the aforementioned type of strings.

Whereas, violins share only the number of strings, and are different from both tenor guitars and ukes thus:
Tuned differently;
played differently;
Constructed differently (archtop; )
Achieve sustain differently (bowed vs. ringing strings.)

And Charangos differ fundementally from Tenor guitars/ukes thus:
5 double courses of strings;
Tuned differently.
And are similar thus:
Played in similar manner;
built basically the same;

BTW, I did not "cherry pick" the similarities/differences- I tried to make the comparisons fair. No doubt I missed some, but I think even with those missed ones, the result will be about the same.

But whatever.:rolleyes:

Okay I'm ignorant. What is reentrant tuning?

:confused:
lou

It's a term thats always used to describe having strings that are not tuned sequentially in pitch. So with the uke the first string is higher pitched than the next three. I think it makes a big difference to the way they sound and play.

I was expecting to see bare-breasted women. I am very dissapointed.:confused:

I respectfully disagree- insofar as the difference I pointed out- usually steel strings- tenor guitars and ukes are much more alike than certainly a violin, or even a charango.

Tenor guitars share all these features:
4 single-string courses;
Same standard tuning;
played very much the same way;
Constructed basically the same (flat top, X or latter bracing; )
And differ only (fundamentally) in the aforementioned type of strings.

Whereas, violins share only the number of strings, and are different from both tenor guitars and ukes thus:
Tuned differently;
played differently;
Constructed differently (archtop; )
Achieve sustain differently (bowed vs. ringing strings.)

And Charangos differ fundementally from Tenor guitars/ukes thus:
5 double courses of strings;
Tuned differently.
And are similar thus:
Played in similar manner;
built basically the same;

BTW, I did not "cherry pick" the similarities/differences- I tried to make the comparisons fair. No doubt I missed some, but I think even with those missed ones, the result will be about the same.

But whatever.:rolleyes:

Thats all fine. As I said I'm not disagreeing with you in most of what you said, but I have all four, a violin, charango, uke and tenor guitar. They are all completely different. I just picked those as examples.

We seem to be looking at the same coin, different sides. One of us is focusing on the differences, the other on the similarities. Not a good/bad, optimistic/pessimistic, dichotomy, so neither of us can claim any sort of "high ground."

It's all good.:)

I have a concert size pineapple uke...

https://homerecording.com/bbs/attachment.php?attachmentid=55630&d=1245892352

Most ukes are tuned the same way but variations are not uncommon.They do offer wound strings for some sizes and sets with standard tuning instead of reentrant tuning;) so you can get your uke more guitar like,but that deafeats the purpose in my book.Also some people use a felt pick,I prefer using my fingers.

Ukes are great,they're small and easy to take along but yet they project enough volume and are in a comfortable range for vocal accompianment.Better yet,they're a lot cheaper than guitars so you can get a beauty for a great price.

The only off putting thing for me is that the strings seem to stetch forever,but once they take set they stay in tune very well.Plus the tiny frets make it hard to use anything more than half the neck with my fat hands.

Back