U-Bass

I remember you were interested in one before. If your intention in getting a fretless is to do a bunch of slides and slurs and whatnot, my understanding is that the sticky texture of those strings isn't really conducive.

That's been my experience whenever I've picked one up.
They're super-sticky!

I finally got an upright, a year or so ago. It's a beast to play and move (and probably restring, but I haven't needed that yet). I think it's a better instrument experience overall tho, but I had to shop around a lot to find one that was even close to the U-bass price point (without pickup), and you need the space to store it!

That's been my experience whenever I've picked one up.
They're super-sticky!

I finally got an upright, a year or so ago. It's a beast to play and move (and probably restring, but I haven't needed that yet). I think it's a better instrument experience overall tho, but I had to shop around a lot to find one that was even close to the U-bass price point (without pickup), and you need the space to store it!

And hopefully you don't have to haul it to practices and gigs.

I have a fretted U-bass and I like it. The strings took a long time to settle but once they did they seem OK. The tension is very low though. I briefly tried a Magic Fluke Co. Timber bass in a shop. It has wound strings and they definitely felt better. Firmer and higher tension - more comfortable play. I think you can now get wound strings for the U-bass. I feel I would have been better off getting a fretless U-bass - steeper learning curve yes but worth the effort. I like the short scale of the U-bass - same size as a baritone ukulele though you do need to take an amplifier with you.

In the end, though I've decided not to persist with the U-bass. I've not really put the tide in to learning it and I've enough with the other instruments I play - Ukulele, Harmonica, Recorders - and it needs time spending on it. I think it's a brilliant concept, though. A proper bass but compact and portable.

I have a fretted U-bass and I like it. The strings took a long time to settle but once they did they seem OK. The tension is very low though. I briefly tried a Magic Fluke Co. Timber bass in a shop. It has wound strings and they definitely felt better. Firmer and higher tension - more comfortable play. I think you can now get wound strings for the U-bass. I feel I would have been better off getting a fretless U-bass - steeper learning curve yes but worth the effort. I like the short scale of the U-bass - same size as a baritone ukulele though you do need to take an amplifier with you.

In the end, though I've decided not to persist with the U-bass. I've not really put the tide in to learning it and I've enough with the other instruments I play - Ukulele, Harmonica, Recorders - and it needs time spending on it. I think it's a brilliant concept, though. A proper bass but compact and portable.

Well said.

I like those rubber strings. Many people seem to hate them. But they sound like an upright to me (but in a cheap/portable bass!), which is the main reason I'd want a U bass. So for me putting wound strings on it wouldn't make sense.

How much time did you spend on it before throwing in the towel?
How was the intonation on it?

Fretless guitar is brave!

Haha. Yeah. I noticed he only plays single notes, though. I can't imagine playing fretless chords, especially something like elaborate jazz chords. That would be so nuts.
It sounded good, though, Farview.

So he's got multiple fretless guitars, and all of them have mirrored fret boards?
Weird!
I wouldn't be able to play those or even keep them clean!

He makes them fretless.

He and I used to work at Washburn together in the late 80's. He has the technology and skill to make and install those fingerboards on his guitars. It's actual mirror glass.

He makes them fretless.

He and I used to work at Washburn together in the late 80's. He has the technology and skill to make and install those fingerboards on his guitars. It's actual mirror glass.

Do the strings not scratch the glass at all?

Anyone hear own a U-bass?
Can you give you opinion?

I'm really into finger picking bass lately, and kinda want to go with a fretless. I thought a U bass might be a cheap entry level fretless. I have read they have intonation problems, though.

I have built a few acoustic basses, experimenting with different materials. i have also built a couple of Ukuleles , and the U Bass idea was my next thing to try. I however bought an Ashbory bass, which has about the same scale length as the U bass, and is fretless. the tone can be anything from Upright double bass to modern bright slap type tones. It came with a little packet of powder lubricant for the strings, which overcomes any stickiness. I really like the little thing, but it does take a bit of time to get used to it. DSC00205.JPG

Well said.

I like those rubber strings. Many people seem to hate them. But they sound like an upright to me (but in a cheap/portable bass!), which is the main reason I'd want a U bass. So for me putting wound strings on it wouldn't make sense.

How much time did you spend on it before throwing in the towel?
How was the intonation on it?

Sorry, only just picked up on this.

I probably played (dabbled would be more appropriate) it for about 12 - 18 months. I didn't consciously stop and I was making reasonable progress. I just got it out less and less often. I reckon if I'd played more regularly, I would probably still be playing it. As far as I could tell, intonation was OK. Kala was the original but there are other makes on the market now. In spite of the sniffy attitude of some bass players, they are a proper bass and their portability is a big plus.

Maybe I should get it out and try again.

Back