U-Bass

Nola

Anyone hear own a U-bass?
Can you give you opinion?

I'm really into finger picking bass lately, and kinda want to go with a fretless. I thought a U bass might be a cheap entry level fretless. I have read they have intonation problems, though.

No experience whatsoever, but for that kind of money I'd look for a used Squier fretless JB. It's something you could always move if you found out that frets were important to you.

I remember you were interested in one before. If your intention in getting a fretless is to do a bunch of slides and slurs and whatnot, my understanding is that the sticky texture of those strings isn't really conducive.

I remember you were interested in one before. If your intention in getting a fretless is to do a bunch of slides and slurs and whatnot, my understanding is that the sticky texture of those strings isn't really conducive.

Good point, Robus.
That is the intention, yeah. I've improved a lot with the fingers, so I want to take the next step and go fretless.

The problem with the Squire is it's so similar to my current bass. I'm looking more for an upright sound where I can slide and slur. The U-bass seems like a cool, cheap option to mimic that type of tone. I played one at a local shop and liked it, but the intonation seemed off on the fretted version. I'm curious how the fretless one holds up.

My wife has the acoustic fretted one (as opposed to solid body or fretless so not much help on that end.
I love the tone. Not 'universal by any means, but very unique. Somewhere between 'upright and old school electric. Every time I hear it I think 'intro to We Got'a Get Out Of This Place' :)
When we auditioned 'plugged in I would have picked the solid.. being a step closer to 'traditional electric. But she chose well :>)

Hey mixit, why did you like the solid one better?

I'm looking more for an upright tone but without the price tag and space of an upright, so is the acoustic better for that?

First off, I don't know anything about a U-bass. Never even heard of them.

But: If you're looking for the sound of an upright (and I've got two I'll sell you for a very friendly price if you're interested), I would think you'd want a fretless acoustic bass.
I've got a no-name (well, it has a name, I just can't remember it at the moment - might be a JB Player) acoustic bass that I bought used. It's filthy, has strings that seem like they're 30 years old and never been cleaned, with action that's almost unplayable. It looks and feels like it's been sitting in barn for decades. But it sounds so much like an upright, I didn't want to mess with any of whatever mojo it's got going for it. Anyway, my point is that the right acoustic with the right strings is probably what you're looking for, albeit the fretless version.

Btw, I had the aforementioned Squire fretless JB, aka the poor man's Jaco. I've heard guys make it sound very Jaco-like, but I don't know what strings they were using. I know that the ones that came on it didn't do the trick. And I don't know why, but I just never could get used to the ebonol board. At any rate, it sure didn't sound like an upright to me. Maybe with the right pickups.

Oh, and I've got a cheapie fretless maple board P, if you're interested. :D

Hey mixit, why did you like the solid one better?

I'm looking more for an upright tone but without the price tag and space of an upright, so is the acoustic better for that?
I'd really hesitate to call that. Other than knowing the one we have pretty well all I remember of the solid was an hour or so trying them in the store. Now you got me curious again :>)
Can't get your hands on them locally I take it?

Intonation doesn't mean a thing on a fretless!

that's a good point. i think the fretless ones come with markers on the board, so while there are no frets, i think those markers would be off, and i'd probably want to use them as guides while first learning fretless

there's a local shop that has the fretted version that i tried out a few months ago. it was great but intonation was a little off. i'm going to go there today and see if they have a fretless one.

When playing a fretless, the markers are just guidelines. You will need to learn to slide your finger to where the note is regardless of where the markers are. Trying to set the intonation on a fretless as exactly as a fretted instrument can't really happen, as the left hand pressure you use will affect it, as ell as the accuracy of your finger on the marker.

It is always an ear thing.

When playing a fretless, the markers are just guidelines. You will need to learn to slide your finger to where the note is regardless of where the markers are. Trying to set the intonation on a fretless as exactly as a fretted instrument can't really happen, as the left hand pressure you use will affect it, as ell as the accuracy of your finger on the marker.

It is always an ear thing.

Thanks, Farview. Yeah I figured it gets to that point, but I was hoping to use the markers as a guide in the early stages while I work up toward that, and then take the training wheels off. If I can't I'll just deal with it and pay more attention to the ear training aspect. It sounds like really good ear training playing fretless so that's a cool perk.

I was told the length isn't there to give a true bass sound. The strings are a pain to get and stretch, constantly. ..
Not our experience at all ..on either point.
(Well depending on what you want to define as 'true bass sounds.

Thanks, Farview. Yeah I figured it gets to that point, but I was hoping to use the markers as a guide in the early stages while I work up toward that, and then take the training wheels off.
And you will, but what I'm saying is that the markers are only as accurate as the way you place your fingers on them.

think about how wide the marker is and how wide your fingers are. Now put that in the context of how far you normally have to adjust the saddles to get the intonation right... Now realize that there is a specific point within the width of the marker and the width of your finger that is right in tune.... Intonation is a relative thing with fretless instruments.

Not our experience at all ..on either point.
(Well depending on what you want to define as 'true bass sounds.

Agree, it sounds like an upright so definitely a true bass sound. Regarding the strings, in the shop when I tried one out they seemed fine. Stretched out and settled. Intonation was slightly off, though, on the fretted one.

Farview, thanks for the tips. I hear what you're saying and agree. Do you think fretless is something best to just jump into and roll with or would I be getting in over my head? I can play finger style pretty well now, do ear training daily, and just feel ready to give it a shot. But I'm a bit apprehensive to be sure. That's why I thought a Ubass might be a good option since it has the upright sound I love and is relatively cheap so if I fail at fretless I don't lose a ton.

If you want the sound of a fretless, get the fretless and play it. I'm pretty sure you are over thinking it.

I have a friend of mine that plays fretless guitar. Its just a skill you hqve to work at.

... The strings...
Deb', I did some goggle' after the gig tonight, and stand slightly corrected. :) Apparently they do take quite a while to stabilize. My wife confirmed, but something I'd either missed or forgotten during the years we had it (several..

Back