Tube amp working/now not working

lanterns

i just took out 6550's and put em back in. now it doesn't work and they're microphonic. what did I do wrong? It's a Sunn Model T (original) so I thought I could do this and be ok to make it a lower wattage.

its a +100 watt head. i took two of the four 6550s thinking it would cut the power in half. i turned it on and got no sound. I put them back in and still nothing. the amp worked fine before.

sidenote
before this i used the line out (with no speaker load) into my 4 track.

i'm afraid i've damaged the amp. the tubes glow and it gets power. just doesn't drive a speaker.

uh.....

are you sure that you pulled theright pair of tubes, or did you just randomly choose two of them? If you pulled out the wrong tubes you would have disrupted the signal chain and this could have had an effect on your transformers!!

hmmm.
1. i tried the two closest to me. they go in pairs diagonally
x x
x x
from the back of the amp it would be the pair closest to me.
2. then i tried different setups of the pair. i didn't have time to check if the cab was blown but last time i checked, only one spkr was blown.

There are 3 things that can screw up a tube amp.

1. Running an unbalanced load
2. Running no load
3. Pulling power tubes at random.

Those individually are probably cause of messing up a transformer or blowing out something in the amp. You happened to do all of them, so you may want to find out the name of guitar amp techs in your area. I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, those are 3 really bad things to do to a tube amp.

By the way, I really like that Sunn amp. I've played it and it's killer.

H2H

" Sunn Model T Settings

A huge stack of SUNN amplifiers was a common sight at major concerts and festivals of the ‘60’s and ‘70’s...even Woodstock! While the new Model T looks very much like an old SUNN from that era, it is actually an all-new tube amplifier with some unique modern features.

Here’s a list of things to notice about the SUNN Model T.

Discriminating players will dig its "transparent" tube purity. When you plug in a Tele, it sounds like a Tele; a Strat sounds like a Strat, a Guild sounds like a Guild. Inexperienced players may need to be shown how cool this is! It is not like using a $80 distortion pedal, which makes every guitar sound like...a $80 distortion pedal.
The Model T is simple to operate, like all Fender amps. There are no confusing push-pull pots, graphic EQ’s, or other gadgets to get in the way. Many of those "features" make it easier to set an amp the wrong way, plus they dilute the aforementioned tube purity. A simple signal path allows more pick dynamics, and more effective changes from the volume knob on the guitar. Almost like channel switching from the guitar!
The effects loop can be set for separate levels for each channel so you don’t overload your FX device with either channel. You can set it up to have equal levels whether the loop is on or off, and the loop can be completely bypassed with the included footswitch or with the pushbutton on the back of the amp. Almost any effect unit will work with the Model T.
The ARENA/CLUB switch allows 100 or 25 Watt output. This lets the amp be used in a variety of situations, large or small.
The TROUBLE LED’s and BIAS POTS let the user diagnose failed output tubes, install new tubes, and set the optimum bias without the aid of a technician. This saves the customer time and money.
Don’t forget, the SUNN MODEL T 412 enclosure is optimized for use with the Model T head. It is not just an old SUNN or Fender cab with new cosmetics, but a new design by our engineers, and a toneful addition to the line. The big closed-back 13-ply birch "straight" cab provides the thump, and the Celestion G12T-75 speakers make it sizzle."

that fender blurb is for the reissue, which has quite a different interface than my original. an important one being the arena/club switch that mine hasn't. that's what i was "pulling" for. haha.

yeah, that would help if mine was a year 2000 sunn model t reissue. but it's an early '70s model.
i did happen to track down the original manual available for $5. i should've ordered that but i got trigger happy.

i realized on my way home from work that i was probably going from line out into the spkr cab. I was right. I checked and the amp is fine.

The damn thing is so old that the labels on the rear of the chassis are all rubbed out. I didn't realize i was plugged in wrong. Simple mistake. Thanks for the help though. Next time I wont panic!

You'll have to pry

the Sunn from my cold, dead hands.

That thing will not quit! I've seen it abused by more than one owner but the Model T is a Tank!

It sounds like shit with a guitar though. Maybe if I could turn it up all the way It'd be cool for like Hard Rock but I don't play the type of music this thing is capable of. It's rad for a bass though anyday!

Back