Tone nerds-amp question

dreib

I figured asking this question here would get more responses but move if you must mods.

CRATE Blue voo doo 60 watt tube amp head .

Found one with a cab for cheap , was told it works well , have looked on youtube and found some videos but if someone here has some first hand knowledge let me know what you think.

Thanks!

The blue voodoo is probably the best sounding crate amp that they made. However, that isn't saying much.

Play it. If you like the sound, get it.

Must be a "Pond Thing" coz folks seem to love'um over here!..
CRATE Blue voo doo 60 watt tube amp head - Amps Discussions on theFretBoard

$200 would seem in the ball park for a worker.

Dave.
Maybe the glut of SS crate amps that sounded like garbage tainted the pool.

The way they voiced the crate amps, it was always missing something when you mic'd them up. It's like no matter how loud you make them, you couldn't hear them. I do remember recording a few, and they were always kind of thin sounding and hard for me to work with. Most guys showed up with Marshall's and Boogies...

I'm not crazy about that crate blue voodoo amp. But then, I'm not crazy about any crate amp I've ever tried.
The clean sucks and I don't care for the crunch either.

I bought an 80's era peavey bravo tube amp for $200. It is a flat out awesome tube amp. 25 watts. Gets you in fender super reverb territory on clean. It's very good when driven hard and breaking up too. It will do the dimed out marshall jimi hendrix stuff very convincingly. If I had a $200 budget I would be looking for one of those on ebay or in pawn shops. (the tubes are enclosed in the back... out of site ...and many people or shops that have them think they are solid state amps)
They are a real sleeper!

Here is a blues song I recorded using the amp for the lead and fills. Just stuck a shure SM 57 in front of the speaker and it didn't even need to be eq'd:
Listen to made in the shade by jimistone #np on #SoundCloud
made in the shade by jimistone | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Last edited:
Back