Telecaster Options

Nice selection of instruments. The Hendrix mural is a great backdrop.

What he said.

While I'm generally not fond of binding on tele's, I could learn to live with it. :D

And it's even got a belly cut!

Does Australia have gay marriage?

I'm not gay, but again, in this case I think I could make an exception. (As long as they also have community property laws.)

Gotta ditch the wife first, but it shouldn't be too hard - I just gotta be me, but like Harvey's headphones, more me.

I've made my choice. Having played more than I can remember I've settled on the American deluxe solid body as opposed to the initial thinline fancy. I pick it up on Sat 1st August so will post my thoughts once I've lived with it a bit. It was a combination of sound and finish, mine will be exactly like the one pictured below.

fender_telecaster_tele_american_deluxe_olympic_white_pearl_electric_guitar_1151144-7.jpgfender_telecaster_tele_american_deluxe_olympic_white_pearl_electric_guitar_1151144.jpg

and the other has Texas Specials (crap, now I can't think of the name of the Irish guy here who gave them to me).

TelePaul. And at one point, you were going to send them to me. :mad: :D
That was before I bought my cheapo Chinese tele, which plays great and sounds awesome. (and was cheaper than the squire softshell case. :) )

I have a Classic Vibe tele in Butterscotch Blonde and I love it. Feels and sounds awesome. I would definitely recommend it if you're on a budget and want a nice tele.

TelePaul. And at one point, you were going to send them to me. :mad: :D
That was before I bought my cheapo Chinese tele, which plays great and sounds awesome. (and was cheaper than the squire softshell case. :) )

Sorry man, but they grew on me. Now I really like 'em. Then I was going to send you the Squires they replaced, but you decided you didn't need them.

So what's the cheap Chinese you got?

:) No problem.

I have a guitar fetish tele. It needed some work, like dressing the frets and adjusting the neck, but it's a great guitar. A lot of people here, who are more knowledgeable than me, recommend them.

Whenever anyone mentions tele's, I'm right there with my little GF plug. lol :D

Xaviere... and I peeled the stupid decal off as soon as I got it. So now it has no name. :)

I wanted to get one of their strat necks, but then I saw it just had a plastic nut, whereas their guitars have a graphite nut.

I buy guitars that I love the look of, and that play well - I don't know much about the individual models, their history and tiny differences. I bought my tele second hand because it was blue! Lake Placid???

I have a lot of guitars, most of which I never play. Here's one. Bought it new years ago because it was on long sale and I was curious about the B-Bender, which is an "option" I cannot recommend against getting strongly enough. Strap-actuated benders are incredibly hard to play properly. I haven't heard anyone do it right since Clarence White. I've heard a hundred or two clowns who thought they could. :rolleyes:

I haven't had this thing out of the case since the photo shoot about eight years ago. Sadly -- because despite a ton of useless steel, this one has the best tone of any of my Telecasters. This is somewhat mysterious since the neck and bridge pickups are merely the stock 50888/50890 set from that period.

Thanks for that Bongolation, I've vaguely noticed the B bender option while skimming through the mountain of Tele's which are available to buy and never taken time to see what it's all about. Nope, not something I'd personally entertain in respect of hardware which could be mildly annoying. Glad you put it up here though, it is informative for someone like me who didn't know such an option is in existence.

Last edited:
I now have my Telecaster, I got it today and really appreciate all the thoughts posted here while I was pondering which one to buy. I finally decided to go with the solid body Deluxe. I wanted single coils as I have a lot of guitars with humbuckers already, I also decided that the push button out of phase switch on this model combined with the three way switch would give me a reasonable number of tonal options. So far I'm really pleased with it, I can't fault the finish and the action is pretty close to what I need, how it was set up at the factory. Just need to get playing with it, I've had a couple of hours playing it clean so now about to get it hooked up to another amp and see how it sounds with some overdrive.

Tele3.jpgTele1.jpgTele2.jpg

Last edited:
I personally can't stand the sound of a clean tele bridge. The neck can sound nice clean through the right tube amp. I like teles, I'm just not overly fond of the standard tele sound. Good lookin' guitar you got there. I wish my teles had a belly cut like that.

Have fun, man.

Thanks Ray, unfortunately work commitments and a few other intrusions have thwarted my creative time for a while. I have a busy few more weeks and then I'm definitely hitting the studio. The Tele sound is definitely going to feature in my ditties going forward. I hope all is good with you Ray, always pleasure to read your thoughts.

Thanks Chili, up until this year I've tended to play mostly humbucker loaded guitars, I was missing out on what Fender has to offer tonally due to my own ignorance. Never too old to learn something I guess.

I'm still finding my way notCardio, in respect of pickup tones on the Tele. It all sounds pretty good to me so far using some of the Strat set ups I've developed over the last few months with combinations of amps and cabs. I'll probably start tweaking some of those for Tele playing as a staring point and explore from scratch as and when time allows.

Really pleased I got the one I chose, it looks and plays great. I still have a thinline sized itch as while playing a whole bunch of Tele's to arrive at this one, I admired the lightness and the alternative feel of the thinline, though I'd have to track one down with slightly different pickups, still the singles but maybe wound differently.

Many thanks for all the input.

Back