strings - gauge and brand

JDOD

therecordingrebels.com
Just wondering what everyone else goes for on what guitar.

Go for really light strings on my ibanez RG550. .08 to about .38 I think that's extra slinky! .10 to .46 on the Washburn Falcon. That's a much slower guitar though and I tend to play slower more grindy riffs. Think these are regular slinkies

Telecaster HH curreny has a hybrid set, light top heavy bottom - not sure about these yet but they seem ok.

I run D'Addario XLs on all of my electrics - 10s on everything except the standard Tele which gets 11s and my Ibanez with the floyd that gets 9s. All my acoustics get elixir 12s. Neither of my 2 bass guitars have been restrung since I've had them (they are probably long overdue) so maybe someone will post what they use on bass.

Back when I gigged I tried Dean Markley, GHS and Ernie Ball strings and even though I religiously changed my strings before each show, with these brands, it never failed that a string broke right in the middle of our set. The D'Addarios were the only brand to hold up to my playing - which was heavy handed at the time.

Mostly D'Addario XL 11's on all guitars except for one Strat that has XL Chrome flatwound 12's (for slide). Acoustics I use Martin coated .13's but only because no one stocks anything heavier around here.

Bill L

I switched from GHS to Ernie Ball when I started gigging regularly because they seemed to break a bit less often, and just be a bit more consistent.

Fender scale guitars get 11s, Gibson scales get 12s, except my Rick has 10s for "historical" reasons. My miniStrat is strung with 11s, but tuned up to A, and the baritone ended up with whatever EB baritone set they had at the store that "set it up" for me. I think both of my 6 string acoustics have 12s on right now. My short scale bass has the lightest EB set I could get, usually tuned up to A-C, and my full scale has the lowest strings from a medium 5string set, tuned to B.

10's on 25.5" scale guitars ...... 11's on 24.75" scale.

I way prefer those new NYXLs D'Adarrio has come out with.
But they're a bit pricey so I don't always use them ..... if not those then I go with cheapest which is usually Slinkys or Ernie Balls if you buy a dozen sets at a time.
Usually there'll be a special on one or the other.

On my Gibsons...
1316172885P02221.png

On my Hallmark 60 Custom..
1316172885P02223.png

Elixir 9's on all my electrics.....the acoustic has 10's on it.....I mainly use the Elixir's because they last a lot longer than un-coated strings for me....

Back when I played live, Ernie Ball 9's all the way though....I remember the first time I tried those strings, I was about 16, & had tried all kinds, Fender Super Bullets, Gibson Brite Wires, all kinds, then I tried the EB 9's....No comparison for me anyway...

If I ever get back on my feet, I might switch back to EB's, after I wear these Elixir's out, I've got a few sets of them still...

la bella are the best I've found for classical guitar, I've tried them all, others didn't last as long or sound as good, but d'addario was close.

Neither of my 2 bass guitars have been restrung since I've had them (they are probably long overdue) so maybe someone will post what they use on bass.

I have ~15 basses and have been playing professionally for 40 or so years. I've experimented with a variety of strings. My default set of strings are Rotosound Roundwound 66. I'll always make sure I have one P-bass and one J-bass strung with Rotosoundsound Flatwound 77 for variety and a J- bass with traditional DR lo-riders. On a ric, I'll either put flats or original Ric roundwounds, which are very hard to come bt. The frets on a Ric can't handle the RS Roundwounds, IMHO.

I have found that strings are critical to a bass sound, so depending on whether I'm playing out or in the studio, the combination of strings and bass (esp pickups), guide my choice.

I use standard gauge: 45-65-80-105.

Last edited:
On my Taylor 214 CE acoustic I do 12-53 and I tune a half step down. That might seem light but it really isn't and it has good tone. Taylor's are loud though.

On all of my electric guitars I do 10-52 DR strings, half step down. Although, I use Ernie Ball 10-52 if the store doesn't have DR strings. There is a difference between the two. I notice it with active pickups the most. It seems to have more sustained with DR strings. I use 10-52 on short scale and long scale necks.

Daddario 13-56 on acoustics and 11s on electrics.

I generally will buy strings once a year from Musicians friend when they have a %off sale and I buy ten packs too. Between the savings, not having to pay taxes or shipping I'm paying around three dollars a set. I was paying twice that thirty years ago when I bought single sets from the corner music store.I on occasion will buy a different brand or gauge if the price is right. I always have to have strings on hand for all my instruments.

I've only tried the coated/long lasting(?) strings once and I wasn't that impressed, but I've never minded changing strings.

EJ17s on acoustics and EXL110s on electrics. Both strike a great balance between strumming/fingerstyle and many different styles of music from jazz to folk to punk. I like how they shed their "new string" sound (metallic brightness?) quickly and then give great feel and tone for a decent time.

always used slinkies,never had a bad set, great strings !! but i got some cobolts and some M-steel to test a few months ago ... from now on im a cobolt user .. i fecking love these things :D

I use mostly D'Addario XL 9's on my Strats and Teles and 10s on my Les Paul and PRS Santana and I have and SG set up for slide that I have 12's on. I use various brands on my acoustics, normally medium gauge.

Anyone ever purchased strings from the web site for "Just Strings"? I normally wait for the local GC or Casio Interstate to have a blow out sale - but I've been thinking of trying Just Strings

Anyone ever purchased strings from the web site for "Just Strings"? I normally wait for the local GC or Casio Interstate to have a blow out sale - but I've been thinking of trying Just Strings

Me!

They charge shipping which is a bit of a drag when you're used to free shipping on everything nowadays.
Can't remember the exact amount... I think it depends on the size of your order.

Shipping is fast, and they include a pack of 6 .71mm JustStrings.com picks for whatever that's worth.

I'd recommend it, best selection I've found!

I started using Rotosounds last year after a set was included in a pickup I ordered.

These for standard tuning
rotosound-electric-guitar-nickel-electrics-roto-reds-011-048-r11-4.gif

These for D Standard
rotosound-electric-guitar-nickel-electrics-roto-purples-012-052-r12-4.gif

These for C Standard (just .13-.56)
rotosound-nickel-electrics-roto-yellows-7-string-010-046-r10-7-10.gif

I'm thinking it was just strings, but I have bought strings from a specialty store for sets that MF didn't stock. Specifically lap steel sets for different keys.

Back