The Strat's new N3 noiseless pickups - Anyone have an opinion on these?

pure.fusion

Being a home recorder, I like a lack of noise in my system. The American Deluxe Strat has N3 noiseless pups.

I just listened to a rant about how they've lost the noise, but have also lost the classic Fender Tone.

Just wondered if anyone here can comment..

Cheers,
FM

I would just like to say, first of all, that I really hate the "Post Quick Reply" button that doesn't disappear when I hit "Reply" within a post. I can't count the number of times I have accidentally erased everything I just wrote, such as what I just did now.

Anyway, I think the N3s are great. The new Deluxe Strat (I have it in Ash with tobacco sunburst, which is absolutely stunning) is the nicest guitar I own and certainly one of the best I have ever played. I haven't ever owned a Standard Strat, but I did have a G&L Legacy for a little while. The only real point of comparison I have is between what my guitar sounds like and what famous Strat players sound like in recordings. From that, I can say that my neck pickup doesn't seem as bright as SRV's, but then again, I'm running through an Orange amp, which he probably isn't. Based on Strats I have played and heard, however, I would say that the N3s sound just like any other Strat, but without the noise. I'm sure there is SOME difference, since it's a different design and all, but not one that matters or that causes the guitar to lose its essential Stratiness. So it sounds like a Strat, but looks better, plays better, and stays in tune better, plus you get some weird tonal options you'll probably never use. Personally, I don't think I would ever bother with a Standard after owning this guy.

Awesome feedback Mr. Cheese. Thanks for your input.

Side note: Interesting you mention the Orange amp. I'm very impressed with the one I've been trying and are seriously thinking about moving over to one from my Blues Jr - just not quite enough gain for me, and very loud for studio purposes. The Orange amps address both these issues and sound great.

Cheers,
FM

I have been very happy with my Orange. I just picked up a 1x12 Orange cab to replace the 1x15 bass cab I had been using and I am even happier with the amp now. A lot of the Orange gear seems pretty inflexible, but it just sounds so good without fussing with the dials that it doesn't even matter. They definitely aren't as bright as a Fender or Vox, but they give me what I want. Except for a lot of volume without breakup on the clean channel, I guess... Oh well. Which one are you looking at? I've got the Thunder 30, which I bought without ever having tried it (but based on my general impressions of other Orange amps).

Which one are you looking at?

Low budget, and for recording purposes - looking at the Tiny Terror Combo. Actually, I thought it was very flexible for the amount of gain. I think (obviously not at a huge volume) it does a cleaner clean than the Fender Blues Jr, and certainly does a dirtier dirty.

The gain goes up into the super dirty which doesn't interest me greatly, but for distortion somewhere in between the extremes, I fell in love with it using the Strat I'm yet to purchase.

BTW (Bringing it back to topic), i looked at the Delux today with the N3's noiseless pickups, compound radius neck and extra tone stuff. Yes, nice but can't justify the extra cost. I think I'll be going the American Standard - and I guess I'll have some noise in my recordings.

Ahhh well, out of all the people that listen to what you record, do any of them really know or care how much noise is in your track? .... or your bass tone? or how you mixed the symbols? Unless you're in the business of music or recording, I'd say percentages are low.

Cheers,
FM

I have the Vintage Noisless in one of my Strats and really like em. Love using the middle pup. Never really used it before i got em. It's nice to be able to get good Strat tones without all the noise, especially when i really dial in the distortion and feedback.

I would just like to say, first of all, that I really hate the "Post Quick Reply" button that doesn't disappear when I hit "Reply" within a post. I can't count the number of times I have accidentally erased everything I just wrote, such as what I just did now.

Anyway, I think the N3s are great. ...neck pickup doesn't seem as bright as SRV's...

I can do you one better (worse?)- the power just went out here, so I had to reboot and go back to this thread...

Excuse me (really, not cracking wise, here) but I don't think SRV used noiseless? I do know Fender represents their Texas Specials as recreations of SRV's pups. I have those and like 'em lots (I am not gonna try to duplicate SRV's tone or playing- being a former method actor, I'd have to move to Texas, snort lots of coke, sweat like a worn-out racehorse on stage and die young- I am just not willing to make the sacrifice...)

I can do you one better (worse?)- the power just went out here, so I had to reboot and go back to this thread...

Excuse me (really, not cracking wise, here) but I don't think SRV used noiseless? I do know Fender represents their Texas Specials as recreations of SRV's pups. I have those and like 'em lots (I am not gonna try to duplicate SRV's tone or playing- being a former method actor, I'd have to move to Texas, snort lots of coke, sweat like a worn-out racehorse on stage and die young- I am just not willing to make the sacrifice...)

SRV didn't die young from drugs. He conquered that demon and was sober for a few years at the time of his death. Heavy fog and a bad decision of the pilot is what killed SRV.

Excuse me (really, not cracking wise, here) but I don't think SRV used noiseless?

That was my point. By way of comparison between my N3s and what I assumed were regular ol' single coils.

Back to the OP, the only thing I would say about the Deluxe is that yes, it's a little more, but in a couple years, are you going to wish you had gotten them? That's why I went for the Deluxe. Might as well get what you really want the first time so you're not regretting it later.

And as for the Orange... I like the Tiny Terror, but I needed two channels and an FX loop. Plus I wanted at least two tone controls on my clean channel. Just one has proven to be enough on the dirty channel.

Oh. Sorry. Did not mean to misinform anyone about SRV's cause of death, nor impune his reputation.

good info on the N3.... I moved my gear to another larger room and the single coil noise seems to have gotten worse.

personal taste .... I never cared for the Texas Specials as much as some of the other single coils.

SRV, could probably make any pickup scream. I wish I'd been more sober when I saw him.

Back