stratosphere DNA

CoolCat

i spent a few hours comparing necks (days)?,
strats to strats from indonesia to china to mim to mia....
setups and string height and tuners and fret sizes all is personal and some seemed to suck some seemed small and some clunky and some just right. the calipers usually show thousandths of an inch can seem huge when spacing strings.
the tremelos and blocked tremlos and fat solid piece blocks and thinner Vintage and some say cheap is pot metal and better is the steel parts, that comes to a close brother of pickups and wood tones...some say 2 point is best others like Vintage 6-screw!! omg....its 60yrs of this.

Squiers became guitars in 1982....before 1982 imagine no Squier lines!
following the parts all over the world and the CY and IC's and (Cort or Japan or Smaick or whoever is making these things) it all comes down to like a DNA.

DNA of a mixture to get the recipe right or wrong, a little of all of it makes up the STrats these days, the MIA having Taiwan pots and MIM hardware and the plastic who knows, the tuners are now from Chian or Japan as in Ping and Gotoh.....damn its overwhelming if you spend a couple days trying to absorb it all.
Woods-I dont even have a clue how huge this company is and the DNA of every tree for all the wood that is shipped around the world like mcdonald burgers.
I bought the first year Strat Squier and recall it...it was ok. I sold it as usual, and recall replacing the tuners and it wasnt like a wow guitar.

From my years of experience though the Cheaper Squiers are small and thin for kids probably and the tuners usually arent perfect and some guy in Idonesia Cort factory is told to hurry up.
but !! before writing off Squier theres the Squier Standard that can be found from 2002 20th anniversary that has beautiful Sunbursts in Alder or Agathis most painted are all Agathis) and comes stock with Alnico V's 3 ply pickguard, 2 point tremlo, sealed tuners and 22 fret necks very much like the US Standards!!! but used for $100 to $149.....(sleeper alert):thumbs up:
many shootouts show the Classic Vibes are really nice too etc..etc...

the MIA still can be had for $650 used and no case probably but its the real deal and I dont see a shortage of them any time soon. Some are Mint and with case.... There gets a point its either pay Brand New of the overabundance of used is what it is and the supply of these allow a $650 + mark it seems. Sure a couple dents or dings but thats relic for free. so this for me locks in the price of it all....so Im not dumping a bunch of cash to try to make the Squier a MIA standard.
Theres so many decades of Strats MIA will never be in short demand and the Squiers even less.

VIBE- Competition Results: YMMV
necks my two MIA here lost big time. the MIM 60th rosewood like silk and wow, well done. and nameless Maple neck Hard Rock from Michigan were my choice by far. Both have the US Fender tuners found on the US Strats (tuners made China or Japan)..as I read it. <add: hard rock Michigan Maple is a Mighty Mite>

DNA- its like a global crossbreeding in 2017....and the parts and changes too much for me to track.

Attachments

• Squier Standard 20th (1).png
    Squier Standard 20th (1).png
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
  • stratosphere.jpg
    stratosphere.jpg
    352.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
the Rosewood necks started this..
a MIA and MIM 60th were slapped into a couple Sunburst bodys so I could feel for myself.
Its amazing how these necks are all slightly different but pretty much the same?:wtf:
The fret wire, the polished or satin neck coating, the bow or edges....like spices in the soup.
Upon playing the MIM rosewood a slick, more gloss on the neck and the back more satin flavor was noticed.
The US rosewood was dry feeling and unfinished, I had a urge to polish it up myself with some McGuires.

Once again I realize the obvious! theres so many damn variations a person has to really play them. maybe with robot cnc they will someday all be identical but I seriously doubt it. ....

PART 2:
Fender DNA mixed-up Fun
I read Clapton took apart a few strats and built one up he liked and handed the others out to friends like George Harrison and someone else, obviously a tinkerer like some of us. One ended up Rocky and painted the others are a story in the Hall of Fame probably...Fender Stratocasters had some really good PR.wow

In salute to EC I tried the $180 MIA neck with Ping or Gotoh tuners into the SquierStandard body w AlnicoV from somewhere, 2 point tremlo from MIM, 3pc Alder/Agathis from Netherlands? plastic stuff from the US or Tawiwan ?
Its a $180 MIA neck+ $100 Squier -$50 for the Squier neck= $230 for a cool guitar. Easy $500 sell, imo.
...poor mans Custom Built with good stuff and setup

Off to go do a Fender Factory standard setup on it... coffee. I might put a new walnut truss rod cover on the MIA neck, its damaged a bit due to truss rod stuff, these are only $6 but Ive never done one before. The Guitar Center guitartech responded as if I asked for Brain Surgery or something? The videos seem pretty harmless in removing the old plug and putting in a new one might be time consuming....I'll probably leave the mangled one in it.

then of course will do the Clapton Hardtail trick...as you can see in the picture, a Masterbuilt shot.

Attachments

• Squier 20th w US neck.jpg
    Squier 20th w US neck.jpg
    386.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Squier 20th.jpg
    Squier 20th.jpg
    353.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Necks MIAMIM.jpg
    Necks MIAMIM.jpg
    463.9 KB · Views: 3
  • HARDTAIL.png
    HARDTAIL.png
    544.5 KB · Views: 5
I think this guys got some great stuff.

This one is DNA related video, very interesting from a Mfg traceability....damn hes more obsessed in drilling down than me. lol

YouTube

Samick....CORT.....WMI.....

this CORT Indonesia Factory is great too.

YouTube

Back