'Splain This To Me, Lucy- Why Do Fender RI Princeton and Deluxe Have Diff. Power?

stevieb

Just another guy, really.
Both use 2 6V6 power tubes tubes. But Deluxe makes 22 watts, Princeton 15. Only tube dif. I see is Deluxe has more 12A_7's. Could that be it?

Well the simple answer is that not all 6V6 tubes are alike and also not all amp circuits. Differences in each make some difference in the result.

Chevy makes a 350 V8, but the diff models vary greatly in output horsepower depending on other factors.

Ed

transformers. when they were designed the amps filled different places in the line as far as price and features are concerned. the smaller transformers in the princeton didn't cost quite as much but also gave it less output.

Partially the size of the transformers, but also the voltage/current being put through the tubes. If you put more power into the tube, you get more power out. As I understand it, you will also typically get more clean headroom, up to the point where you start getting over the tubes limits and all hell breaks loose. I haven't spent much time experimenting with that one, though.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Partially the size of the transformers, but also the voltage/current being put through the tubes. If you put more power into the tube, you get more power out. As I understand it, you will also typically get more clean headroom, up to the point where you start getting over the tubes limits and all hell breaks loose. I haven't spent much time experimenting with that one, though.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

it all works together. without the right size transformer you can't generate the voltage for the tubes.

what it really comes down to though is different circuits.

Now, you guys have basically caught me in the act of not thinking this through. I already KNEW that transformer size has an effect on amp output- see my post about Pro Vs. Hot Rod Deluxe, where I mention that the Pro grew from 40 to 70 volts, just like the Twin grew from 100 to 125, by dint of a bigger transformer- but I did not give that any thought on these two.

But sorry, Ed Dixon, the "tubes are different" thing is not gonna carry the day- sure, any two 6V6 tubes will be different, but those differences would not account for a 40 percent difference in power.

But sorry, Ed Dixon, the "tubes are different" thing is not gonna carry the day- sure, any two 6V6 tubes will be different, but those differences would not account for a 40 percent difference in power.

No, but circuit design and other factors sure will, which is what is being discussed in more detail.

Ed

\But sorry, Ed Dixon, the "tubes are different" thing is not gonna carry the day- sure, any two 6V6 tubes will be different, but those differences would not account for a 40 percent difference in power.

Also keep in mind that the difference in 15 vs 22 watts is minor when it comes to actual output volume.

Ed

One of the best sounding rigs I ever played was a Princeton with a pair of 6L6's, a direct swap. Tone production is a complex issue but I believe that the 6L's put the power supply under stress and altered the operating points of ALL the tubes. By the way, I have swapped in 6V6's into a Fender Super and got interesting tone changes too, though not totally pleasing.

chazba

Back