Sigh - my pointy guitar shame..

Armistice

Son of Yoda
So I have one pointy guitar in my collection. An Ibanez RG something that I bought during a "what the fuck was I thinking?" moment many moons ago and don't actually play. Hasn't seen daylight for a few years.

Except the other day, contemplating a lead break in a new song that I've worked out in my head, I figured having a both ways whammy bar might be handy, so I got it out of the cupboard. Oh shit, the high E string is broken and I remember it has 9s on it and I don't have any.

So I get some from the guitar shop, bring them home, get the guitar out and then realise I have completely forgotten how to restring a Floyd Rose, given this is the only one I have.... :laughings:

It's OK, I found a YouTube video and it all came back to me, but playing all these years and forgetting how to restring your axe.... major mortification. :(

OK, I'm going in. Wish me luck.... ;)

Here ya go. "Bright Penny" I think the colour is... probably why I bought it. Shiny, shiny... :D

IbanezRG470.PNG

Interestingly the video I watched was by Schecter's tech person and he didn't say "reset the fine tuning screws to the top of their range" as part of his "how to" vid. I worked out that that would be a good idea just before tightening everything up. I mean, new strings, what's going to happen? - you'll generally be tuning up rather than down for a bit.

I also ignored my mate who's got a million of these things (well, probably half a dozen) when he said "one string at a time" - bugger that for a game of soldiers - 9v battery under the bridge and snip snip all off... worked fine, and sounds not bad at all actually.:thumbs up:

It seems to me that the majority of people that complain about pointy headstocks are the ones that have no chops.

That's not a pointy guitar. BC Rich makes pointy guitars. Even a Destroyer is pointy. That's just a super-strat. Exploers, flying V's, Jackson Kelly's, Warlocks, etc... Those are pointy guitars.

IMO those RG guitars aren't half bad for their price. I've got an RG350DX, which is about like yours, only mine has the Ibanez version of the "sharkfins", a pickguard, & is a different color...

When I change strings on a locking trem guitar, I do it one string at a time myself, you can block the bridge up (as mentioned), but I just prefer doing one string at a time...

I always try to have the fine tuners about in the middle/halfway, so I can go either way after I lock it down at the nut...

Something else I think is important is to strech the fuck out of each string & re-tune, before locking it down. It seems to help with tuning issues for me anyway...YMMV

I've put a Duncan Custom Custom in bridge since this pic was taken, & it made a world of difference in it's tone...

Armistice, that looks like an RG 570. I've got one too, can't bare to part with it. MIJ. I went halves on it with my mother for my 18th birthday in 1998. Is that got the V7, S1 and V8 pickups?

I think build quality/setup on them might have been a bit patchy cos a mate of mine got a black RG550 and it just never played as well as mine.

Mine is a dark bronze.

Yep it does have those pickups but I've always between under the impression that it was a 470, not that I have even the vaguest idea about Ibanez model specs...

c44Lct0i

My mockingbird has the Floyd Rose. It doesn't have a pointy headstock, but the body has the normal mockingbird points. I've always loved the look of a mockingbird...Warlock, bitch, and other pointy styles, meh. Not so much. :)
New Guitar.jpg

In 1985 or so, I somehow how my hands on a cherry sunburst Les Paul Custom - wet dream of a guitar. In 1987 I traded it for an RG 550

Sometimes I don't want to live

In 1985 or so, I somehow how my hands on a cherry sunburst Les Paul Custom - wet dream of a guitar. In 1987 I traded it for an RG 550

That's a very depressing story. Please don't share that again ;)

I've played a Les Paul...once. My hands are too big for the neck. I guess I'll be a pointy guitar guy. :) My Hamer super strat has a pointy headstock...

Around that time, I got a 1978 Ibanez Paul Stanley model. 1988, I traded it at guitar center for a Kramer Barretta. The original PS-10's go for upwards of $10k now, while the Kramers aren't worth setting on fire.

Back