The short life of a Danelectro Fish & Chips

GT

Used it for two hours, and it developed a permanent loud buzz, with a squeel thrown in for bad measure.

This will be the first and last Danelectro product for me!!

Back to Sam Ash, hope they haven't spent my money.

GT

GT said:
Used it for two hours, and it developed a permanent loud buzz, with a squeel thrown in for bad measure.

This will be the first and last Danelectro product for me!!

Back to Sam Ash, hope they haven't spent my money.

GT

I would exchange it for a new one and give it another shot.

Maybe that's just me.

Carl

Hey Carl,

First I gotta say, man that tune you did is killer!!

I had to special order the Fish and Chips, I think I may bite the bullet, and go with the Boss EQ, I think it's about $40.00 more, but it may be worth it.

The Danelectro seemed noisey, even when it was working right.

Maybe I will just stick with no EQ, don't like any noise, you know how we homerecors are about noise!!

I'll let you know how this ends, in this thread.

GT

The higher end danelectro pedals are decent. But I agree, the low end ones are horrible.

When they were first introduced, the owner of the music store I hung out at, pulled it out of the box, opened up the case to see what it looked like inside and was immediately disgusted by build quality. Next, we plugged it in to an amp without a guitar plugged into the other side. Major HUMMING!!! We messed with it a little and decided it made a decent theremin, the hum changed tonality with different positioning of the body and amp in relationship to the pedal. All in all, pieces of junk.

But, I own the Fabtone and Dan-echo and I really like these units. Have had no problem with them. Friend had a Fabtone as well, and no problems either. Really nice sounds too.

BTW- I've heard good things about the Boss EQ.
:D

Last edited:
I have had mine for a few months now, no problems, no noise, works great...Any brand of electronic stuff can fail, especially in the first few hours of use - what is referred to as the "burn in" period, that's what warranty is for. I wouldn't say, for example, I'll never buy another Fender amp because after a couple hours one of the preamp tubes blew in my new amp...

This is embarassing, but I think the battery went dead.

It didn't hit me that that was the problem, because I had used it for such a short period of time, before it started to mess up.

If this thing eats batteries this fast, I'm not even going to bother to put another one in, 9 volts aren't cheap.

I am going to Sam Ash tomorow, and get an ac adapter. I am going to take the pedal with me, and make sure it was just a dead battery.

I do like this pedal, it's cool to have this much tone control on a guitar, and bass seems to be in the same boat.

Unless the battery that came with it was weak, this pedal killed a 9 volt battery faster than anything I've ever seen.

Is this common?

I know this saga isn't as exciting as To kill a Mockingbird, or even Rocky VIIIII, but I'll let you know the final outcome to Death of a Fish & Chips.

Did it crap out?

Did the battery go dead?

Did playing the lost chord through it, wipe it out?

Stay tuned, and place your bets!!

GT

you would be amazed how many pedals come with dead batteries even from the factory. they can sit for months in the factorys, then for months in a warehouse. etc. i see it happen in the tens of times every day (work at musicians friend).

but i say go with the boss, ive got one and they have a lot more control ove the eq, plus you can pound it into the ground and it will still work, while the dano will eventually break.

just me........

revoltingyouth said:
you would be amazed how many pedals come with dead batteries even from the factory. they can sit for months in the factorys, then for months in a warehouse. etc. i see it happen in the tens of times every day (work at musicians friend).

but i say go with the boss, ive got one and they have a lot more control ove the eq, plus you can pound it into the ground and it will still work, while the dano will eventually break.

just me........

Hello, and welcome newbie rvty,

Yeah I bought the Danelectro as just a kind of new toy, I have a feeling your dead on about the Boss being better.

While I'm at Sam Ash, I'll do a side by side comparison, If I can get the kids to stop playing White Stripe riffs long enough to have a listen.

I did not know that about the dead battery plague, good call!!

I wonder of those who have either the Boss, or the Danelectro, does anyone use them when trying to do serious recording, or is it just a toy?

You work at Musician's Friend, your unexplainably fast growing guitar collection, and yet you still have lots of money in your wallet, is now becoming more clear!!

GT

I had a Boss EQ (GE-7). It was ok with some pedals (MZ-2) but horrible with others (OD-20, GP-20).

I sold it in the end as my ears just couldn't stand the noise it added t my signal chain. Even got a noise gate to try and get rid of the dreadful racket between hitting the strings.

The noise gate did what noise gates do and it still sounded terrible.

FYI I have also sold the GP-20 and the OD-20.

The GP-20 has the dubious distinction of being the WORST pedal I have ever owned and the OD-20 was just noisy (did sound better than the OD-20 .... but so did hitting a tin can with a big stick).

I had one of those cheap tremelo or vibrato pedals (orange one) and the battery was dead after 5 minutes.

Not bad. Noisy, but I like it once in a while.

Oh ya, the permanet noise thing....

Mine didn't get noisy if I remember right. The effect just slowly died and went to a very thin signal. I wish I had been recording. You just can't get that kind of effect by hand.

I took it back to Sam Ash, and got my money back.

I don't like doing this because they allways take so long to process the refund.

It really wasn't a bad pedal, but ate the battery, and added more noise, we homerecors don't need any more noise.

I think the tones I get will have to rely on what pickup I use, and settings on my Pod.

I think I will miss the Scoop setting on the Fish and Chips though.

Oh well live and learn.

GT

Back