Votes: 4 100.0%
  • Relic'd hardcore more than 2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Strange and weirdness is Unique

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CoolCat

Reading the Fender Custom Shop book again its mainly about worn and beaten road guitar marketing and markets and that driven from musicians requests.

theres also a lot of arty-strangeness guitar designs like someone will hang it on a wall for display.

then theres the other group who want to have it sealed in a glass cabinet or to look untouched forever....polished and not played is the goal.

I think Im in the used is more comfortably used group. I actually dont like pristine clean vibe but not really a relic'd too much dude...as for super strange and unique possibly cool with that.

I think Im in the used is more comfortably used group.

You don't have that option in the poll. :)

I also think there's another group...the "play the piss out of it, but also clean and polish it to keep it new as long as you can".
I'm in that group.

I don't buy into the relic'd craze, unless it's a guitar you bought, played the piss out of it, gigged the shit out of it, and after 30+ years, it's got some scars and wear.
Buying a genuine used guitar with a lot of "character" is a personal choice, and if the guitar is still play-worthy, why not.
I also don't go for the trophy purchases, where you only take it out of the case to look at once a month.
AFA the really weird looking guitars..meh...I go for the classic looks. I mean, I've never seen anything weird that I really wanted to own, but there's some very unique designs that a still pretty decent looking.

hahaaa..well its not in the poll....it wasnt much thought in it. oops! my bad.

i was just thinking it'd be more interesting just to see pictures of guitars people own or love or want to sell or have customized instead of a Poll.

Custom Shop...DIY... or specialty woods from exotic places?

Well, here's some of mine...like I said, I go for the classic guitar looks.
They're used...but still kinda shiny and polished. :)

MyHagstromGuitars.jpg

some variations in pickups and slight details of a line... I would definitely see the data supporting your claim....no relic's or bumper-stickers on those G's...

Lordy, lordy, I see a p90. I voted dented, but it turns out all my used stuff is in pretty decent shape and hum drum. Just bad luck, I guess

my poll wording sucks...Im not even sure what Id vote on. lol

the Fender Custom Shop book got me on the kick. maybe a better Poll would be "what have you upgraded on your guitar that kicks ass?" poll....

theres like a wide range of relic and real relic and re-issues copied to the exact specs but like brand new, then theres the wild stuff which is really unique with car license plates embedded in the wood or dice knobs and beer can logos.....or maybe collect different neck sizes...
its really a ocean of different pups and tuners and new-tech vs old vintage.

i admit im a bit uncomfortable with brand new, trying to preserve it while noting the pro's road worn axes that have seen a million miles and battles is pretty cool too.

then I wonder was the chic hitting on me? by calling me back to the starbuck register to draw a smiley face on my cup or is she just bubbly by nature or maybe its a training thing to make customers feel happy in some chic corporate policy of drawing smileys on cups... or maybe im just getting so old happy people start annoying me and being interrupted with nice smiley gals drawing smiley faces is too smiley for me..bahhumbug?

What if a person has both a beater guitar and one they keep in mint condition? thats not on the Poll either.

miroslav what got you the first one of those? or did you buy a few at the same time in one order?
do you know the luthier?

I think the preference happens, I ended up being a strat body shape but sometimes wish it had been a SG that became my axe. Jumping from body styles is really strange for me.

Wondering how many people have a Jackson metal guitar and a Jazz beauty then a Strat and LesPaul etc...
dont most players migrate to one eventually?

this Starbucks Pikes is double bean strong..my brain is feeling fuzzy now in that awake fuzzy-zippy way.
its like im chewing on beans... i might have to go jogging soon.

miroslav what got you the first one of those? or did you buy a few at the same time in one order?
do you know the luthier?

These are all Hagstrom guitars...not sure if there was a single luthier who came up with the design, but I can check in my Hagstrom book and see if they have one specifc designer name. Anyway...no, I don't know the luthier...and he's probably dead, considering this design came about back in the late '60s/early '70s.

I bought my first Hagstrom Swede back in '75...still have it, it's the blonde one between the cherry and that ivory one with the P90 pups on the right side of the pick.
The four center ones are '70s vintage...the rest are all current reissues...and no, I didn't buy then in bunches, usually one at a time, though the last two I purchased a year ago were bought together.

do you know the luthier?

I think the preference happens, I ended up being a strat body shape but sometimes wish it had been a SG that became my axe. Jumping from body styles is really strange for me.

Wondering how many people have a Jackson metal guitar and a Jazz beauty then a Strat and LesPaul etc...
dont most players migrate to one eventually?

this Starbucks Pikes is double bean strong..my brain is feeling fuzzy now in that awake fuzzy-zippy way.
its like im chewing on beans... i might have to go jogging soon.

I definitely don't gravitate to one body style. Here's my collection of electrics right now:
Strat
Tele
Hagstrom Swede (reissue)
Peavey JF-1 (semi-hollow 335 style)
Agile Les Paul copy with p90s
Tele 12-string (in the process of building)

None of these are very expensive guitars, but I need a variety of styles for the work I do (recording lots of styles of music). The big category I'm missing is the super-strat type with a floating bar. Whenever I need one of those, I've had to borrow one. It's not often, though, so I'm reluctant to buy one because I probably wouldn't play it too much otherwise.

Regarding the poll, I had a hard time finding one answer that fit, but I chose "Dented and Played..." (Although I certainly do care if it tunes.) :)

I don't have anything against relic guitars. It's kind of a funny trend, but it's no funnier than relic'ed jeans, and those were all the rage for a while.

I do hate to see display-only guitars, though. The idea that it's just sitting up there never getting played doesn't sit well with me at all. This is especially because it perpetuates this idea that vintage guitars are some lost treasure that need to be stored in a museum. I just don't buy into that. The fact that one of my heroes had owned/played a guitar would maybe justify a 5-10% increase of the guitar's value to me, but even that's really stretching it. If I don't like the sound/look/feel of the guitar, I don't really care who played it.

Like ... I'm trying to imagine an iconic instrument (to me) that I would like to own. Paul McCartney's Epiphone Texan (used on "Yesterday") would probably be a good one. But I wouldn't be willing to pay anymore for it than for any other Epiphone Texan, which would be around .... actually scratch that. It looks as though they're going for minimum $2K. I wouldn't pay that. :)

If I'm going to pay nearly 2K for a guitar, it's likely going to be for a Gibson Jumbo acoustic, such as the J-185 sunburst.
Gibson J185 2013 Sunburst | Reverb

I don't think I'll ever buy a vintage guitar of high pedigree simply because I don't buy into that hype. Something like this:
1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard "Burst" | Reverb

Is so utterly ridiculous to me that it's laughable. I mean, if someone wants to spend their money on that, then more power to 'em. But I would bet $50 of my own money that they wouldn't be able to pick it out in a blind listening test against 4 other Les Pauls. But even if they could, is it really a difference that's worth $392,000? I mean ... some people need to get out more! :) Go take a walk, smell a flower, let a bee land on your hand and look at it up close. Geez!

coolcat -

Um, did you read your own post back in #7? Were you carrying on multiple conversations at the same time and got them mashed up? Where did this thing with the chic at the Starbucks come from? And as far as that goes, when it comes to girls flirting with guys, guys tend to believe what they want to believe.

ha..yes, probably ADD slipped in there due to Starbucks Pikes double bean.

3 votes on the Poll. Maybe the Starbucks poll would have been more interesting?

ha..yes, probably ADD slipped in there due to Starbucks Pikes double bean.

3 votes on the Poll. Maybe the Starbucks poll would have been more interesting?

I'm from Chicago and you are only letting me vote once. What 'ya expect ?

PIC of Fellow E-nothing in basic training with my first guitar. There was a dent in the back of the neck under the headstock
6970328308_6d3b1eeff7_b.jpg

Cool. I hope you kept the guitar (Teisco?) I've got those same pickups in a box somewhere out of my Teisco clone.

Cool. I hope you kept the guitar (Teisco?) I've got those same pickups in a box somewhere out of my Teisco clone.

I left it in a locker for the next crew. Same with the DanElectro at the next base. hahha. I thought I had a SG special and Twin back home, but apparently they had taken a hike

This one was hacked-up down to the match book fuzz on the E

Im not so sure the Poll wording is bery good.

4 votes nowDented and Played who cares if it tunes ..just noticed this could be read in two ways, "who cares if it tunes" meaning its ok if it cant even be tuned and another interpretation could be "who cares <as long as the guitar can stay in tune> it tunes"

I meant to say "who cares, as long as it can stay in tune.... " however.... if someone who voted for "who care if it tunes " meaning I dont even care if my guitar can be tuned then thats acceptable due to my poor english isnt bery good.

I left it in a locker for the next crew. Same with the DanElectro at the next base. hahha. I thought I had a SG special and Twin back home, but apparently they had taken a hike

This one was hacked-up down to the match book fuzz on the E

Heavy Relic, with what looks almost like half of a Batman logo in yellow. Broken guitar strap for extra relic look. Matchboook Fuzz on the E...it would be hard to find a replacement pickguard for that one!

E-Nothing is below E-1? or above E8?

Heavy Relic, with what looks almost like half of a Batman logo in yellow. Broken guitar strap for extra relic look. Matchboook Fuzz on the E...it would be hard to find a replacement pickguard for that one!

E-Nothing is below E-1? or above E8?

Below any pay grade : )

Back