Separate Sounds for Looper and Guitar into Amp?

gvdv

Hi,
I have two questions which I cannot find an answer for here. Apologies if there are existing threads which I have missed which discuss these questions.

I have the Jamman Looper / Phrase Sampler (the model with two footswitches, which was discontinued when Digitech introduced the four footswitch ML2 JamMan Stereo Looper and Phrase Sampler Guitar Effects Pedal model).

I want to use the Jamman with my old Roland Cube 30 1 x 12 combo amp, and am trying to solve what I am sure is or was a dilemma and wish for others.

I would like to be able to:
1. Create a loop, containing effects, on the Jamman
2. And I would then like to be able to play the loop back through the amp while simultaneously playing my guitar through the amp, but being able to treat the guitar with either effects pedals or effects on the amp, without affecting the sonic nature of the playback from what has been recorded on the Jamman

So, here are my questions about this:
1. Obviously, I could create a loop on the Jamman by making it the last in a chain of pedals, meaning that the pedals
put before it would dictate the sound(s) which end up on the Jamman.

But, could I record the amp’s effects onto the Jamman by taking an out from the ‘Recording Out / Phones’ output, and going into the Jamman?

2. I suspect that this is not possible, given that the Cube 30 only has 1 channel (and 1 speaker), but is it possible to
use either the ‘Aux In’or ‘Recording Out / Phones’ on the amp in some way to make it possible to play back the
Jamman’s loops, and to simultaneously play the guitar through the amp using the settings on the amp (or using
pedals), making sure that the Jamman and guitar sounds remain separate from each other?

Thanks in advance to anyone answering this post.

gvdv

You can't use the amp's FX for the live playing you want to do after recording the loop, as that would affect the playing loop, as well. So use external pedals (before the looper), record the loop, then change your FX pedals as needed for your lead part, and play. Easiest solution not requiring an A/B/Y pedal, and other switching stuff around.

You can't use the amp's FX for the live playing you want to do after recording the loop, as that would affect the playing loop, as well. So use external pedals (before the looper), record the loop, then change your FX pedals as needed for your lead part, and play. Easiest solution not requiring an A/B/Y pedal, and other switching stuff around.

Hi mjbphotos,
Thanks for this.

I had some really interesting and unexpected recording experiences regarding the above, after posting my original message.

1. When I went out of the amp into my looper by using the 'Recording Out/'Phones' socket, I initially got a huge amount of hiss (for this, I was recording onto an internal looper in a Zoom G3X multi effects processor I have, and not the Jamman I mentioned above).

This hiss was significantly reduced by lowering one of the parameters on the G3X.

I was able to record the effects on the amp onto the G3X, as expected.

I have yet to try this on my Jamman, but if I cannot alter the level of the input signal on that unit, I will not be able to record onto it from the amp if the same hiss is present coming from the 'Recording/'Phones' output as was present in doing what I described above.

2. I then changed the input/output of my cables around and went from the G3X's output into the 'Aux In' on the amp. One can do this, but the 'Aux In' does not have a volume control, so, once again, the volume of the source going into the 'Aux In' has to be determined on the output device.

3. To my great surprise and pleasure, at this stage I was able to plug my guitar into the amp and play along to the recording from the G3X going into the 'Aux In' without the amp FX I was putting on my guitar in any way colouring the 'Aux In' sound.

I assume that the guitar input and 'Aux In' input are both wired separately to the speaker, and that is how the integrity of each sound is able to be maintained.

Yes, the Aux in on most amps is post-preamp, directly into the power amp (hence why you have to control volume with the device plugged into it).

Back