Saddle heights on Tune-o-matic bridges

Brian Miller

Hey guys,

I've got a brand new Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro. It's my first guitar with a Tune-o-matic bridge. I have many guitars with Fender style and Floyd Rose, so I'm not used to the design. It appears that you cannot adjust the individual saddle heights on the Tune-o-matic. The problem is that each saddle is a different height, and my G string sits further off the neck than the rest of the strings. It's very uncomfortable to play with. Is this normal with this type of bridge?

Thank you,

Brian

Les Paul Bridge.jpg

The heights are staggered to roughly conform to a standard 12 inch fretboard radius. Epis are not done as well as it's american counterpart.

You can (if you are handy) take a small needle file to the individual saddles to even up the action.
Or
take it to a competent guitar repairman
(Not an in house tech like sam ash or guitar center)

Thanks for the advice RFR. So here's the thing. It was ordered through Musicians Friend (I actually received it as a gift from my father). They are happy to take an exchange and all that. But everything else about this guitar is wonderful: it plays and feels fantastic. I worry that if I do an exchange, I might get a guitar that has any number of other issues, because ordering online from a mega store is always a gamble. Do I hang on to this one and get it fixed, or take my chances with an exchange?

Tough call. I wish I had my Epi LP here to check this for you, as I've never noticed an issue, and I'm damn picky about little shit that drives me nuts.

There's been a lot of discussion here of late about whether or not a guitar should be ready to go out of the box without needing a setup and individuals being responsible for being able to do a basic setup on their own. I don't think this falls into that category. This is something that needs more than a setup that you should be able to do. I mean yes, maybe you should be able to correct it yourself, but you shouldn't have to. It's clearly something that shouldn't be this way, a defect if you will.

Here's something you could try. It probably won't work, but it doesn't hurt to ask, all they can do is say no.

First off, I'd try emailing Epi customer support. Tell them your problem, show them a picture, and ask them if this is something they consider normal. If no, could they send you a new bridge with a prepaid mailer to send them back the other bridge. Explain to them that it will prevent you from having to return an entire guitar that will eventually be returned to them. Explain how it will save the company money, you frustration, and build their image as a brand that deals fairly with and shows concern for it's customers and thereby avoids any negative feelings that might be incurred. (I know there's a better way to finish this, I just can't think of it right now. It's late and I'm on medications for an ear infection.)

---------- Update ----------

Sorry. Every once in a while I start channeling my inner lawyer.

Thanks for the advice RFR. So here's the thing. It was ordered through Musicians Friend (I actually received it as a gift from my father). They are happy to take an exchange and all that. But everything else about this guitar is wonderful: it plays and feels fantastic. I worry that if I do an exchange, I might get a guitar that has any number of other issues, because ordering online from a mega store is always a gamble. Do I hang on to this one and get it fixed, or take my chances with an exchange?

You like it? Keep it. Stuff like the issue you have is small potatoes.

Your issue is in the realm of "set up".

Believe it or not, I'll have guys with high dollar Gibson historics bring them in for a setup. I'll recut the bridge slots, the nut slots, and dress the frets even though they have been "plecked" at the factory.
It makes a huge difference....to them, the client.
Factories only take an instrument so far. They don't have the time to spend with the instrument to set it up for each and every user.

One problem with consumers is that with easy returns nowadays, they expect a factory instrument to be "perfect".

There is no perfect guitar. What is perfect for you, may not be perfect for someone else.

A good luthier set up done for YOU, is part of making it a great guitar.

On the bridge;

The epi bridges are made in Korea and not the best. Also, they are metric and not interchangeable with american made stuff.
However, Tone Pros makes a metric replacement that is very high quality.

Just stuff to think about.

Which part...just the bridge part on the existing posts...or the threads, and screwing the posts in the existing holes if you replaced the whole thing?

I've swapped a few out that were probably metric, with what I believe are non-metric parts...and there was enough play in the post to fit the holes. Like how much off would it be...?

That said...none of mine were Epi bridges.

What about this http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/All_Hardware_and_Parts_by_Instrument/Electric_Guitar/Bridges_and_Tailpieces/Tune-o-matic_Bridges/Gotoh_Tune-o-matic_Bridge_with_Studs_Bushings.html

The Epi has inserts in the body. This is why an ABR 1 won't work.

As i said earlier, its easy enough to file the saddles on the original bridge if yhe individual string height is the issue.

For bridge replacement, the one perfect qualiy drop in replacement is the tonepros. Its is made by Gotoh.

Easiest solution however is to just get out the file.
I seem to remember that the guitar is wonderful with only the g string being a bit high.

Yeah, is it really high, or just a bit high?

From the picture, it looks like the D and the G are pretty much the same, or maybe the D is even a little bit higher. Might be an optical illusion, though.

I can't believe that I can't find a single TOM around here to look at. This is pissing me off. I'm going hunting. I'm off to the wilds of the family room.

Your pic looks exactly like my epi lp standard does.On My Gibson lp the g string saddle is higher than the d but the string height is perfectly fine.

I'm sure you have a warranty period. Give musicians friend a call. They may have someone local to you who does their warranty work.

Hey guys! Thanks so much for your help. I had a luthier replace the bridge with the drop-in Gotoh, plus hammer down and refile a few frets that were causing dead notes (not just buzz). He also filed down the nut, and gave the whole thing a nice setup. Total cost: $100 including the bridge. This thing sings. I did an extensive review/demo here, going through as many tonal possibilities as I could (without even touching the tone knobs, which are very good, and very responsive).

Back